Author Topic: humidity problem with my 770....help  (Read 1892 times)

Offline chuckeys123

humidity problem with my 770....help
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »
I have used my 770 a lot on gigs. Lately and occasionally, when using it outdoors with high humidity it goes crazy. All of a sudden random notes are very loud compared to others, across the whole board. Some notes choke, and if I barely brush some notes they play. Anyone ever experienced this at all? Once back inside away from humidity normality returns. The kicker is how do you fix it? Take it to the shop and it will work perfect. Is there any way to actually reach a competent yamaha tech and get help? Every time I do a humd outdoor gig I cross my fingers!

Offline Paula

Re: humidity problem with my 770....help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 09:35:10 PM »
Hi Chuck
 I have experienced humidity although have never had a problem with sound, I am thinking if we would bring a hair blow dryer to use on key board now and then of course keeping high heat  from being close to key board could that possibly help ? hopefully some one has a solution ,also the plastic keys get sticky I have awesome gloves I bought line and they work great if any one is interested in the gloves i will post a link to what I use
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline Armand

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 11:54:36 PM »
A few years ago, my old PSR 1000 had a similar problem: notes kept changing
its pitch inexplicably on a given portion of the keyboard. Accidentally,
air from a floor fan. He hit the keyboard and everything went back to normal.
This is probably due to moisture build up on the conductive pads of the keys.
When removing the fan, the fault returned. With that premise, I opened the keyboard and installed
a fan of the type for computers and the failure did not occur again. That model had space
to accommodate the fan, I don't know on current models. You also need to know some electronics,
or contact the technician,
to find the power input (I think it's 18V DC) and connect a voltage regulator IC,
as 12 V DC is required for the fan. The area where I live always has a high percentage of humidity,
at least 79%. It is worth mentioning that this problem did not occur with the PSR S950.
Cheers

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 03:09:45 PM »
whats weird is that when I have the problem, it comes on immediately across the board. Say maybe just C# and B will blare out across the whole board. Maybe the A will choke across the board. So it doesnt seem like indidual keys are the problem. I guess the nest step is to put a fan on it when outdoors and cross my fingers

Offline Armand

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »
In this case, maybe the best option is to put a floor fan or something on top of the keyboard.
and do the test. The use of a hair dryer is not recommended, as they could be damaged
the conductive pads on the keys. I hope it is a not so expensive solution for
this problem. Cross our fingers.
Best regards.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »
Had exactly the same problem in my PSR 3000 may be 10 years ago.  And I got a solution from the forum itself.

Buy a lot of dehumidifier moisture absorbent small sachets (may be 3-4 kgs) and put them all over the keyboard, wrap your keyboard with a cloth along with these sachets.

It will suck out all the moisture from your keyboard. Atleast it did from my keyboard

Hope it works for you

Regards

Anand

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 03:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip. For an outdoor gig I guess I can wrap the board inbetween sets, before and after sets and hope it makes it through the sets. Worth a try