Author Topic: Convert Yamaha Style Files to Roland  (Read 11386 times)

doctorJ

Convert Yamaha Style Files to Roland
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
Hi been a long time since I posted a question. Made the switch about a year ago from my old Yamaha PSR 2100 to a Roland BK5 Backing Arranger Keyboard....since i'm now gigging full time the Yamaha was just too heavy and lacked the ability to add additional style files via USB Flash Drive etc.

Just wondering if anyone offers a Paid Service to convert some on my favourite Yamaha Style Files to the Roland BK5 (with/without OST) etc.
Thanks
Dr. J

Offline Toril S

Re: Convert Yamaha Style Files to Roland
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »
Hello Dr J. I can't help you with such a problem, but wanted to say that I also have a PSR 2100. I still have it, but moved up to PSR S970. The 2100 is still - in 2018 a very good keyboard! But, as you pointed out, it used floppy disks, and not USB. Hope you get a program to convert styles to your Roland :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

doctorJ

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:06 AM »
Thank You for the comments; sorry just got to this forum now.
I also still have the PSR 2100 and aside from the fact it doesn't have the USB feature - it's very heavy.
Getting used to the Roland BK 5 using if for live gigs as that's now how I make a living.

Thanks, cheers

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
There's a program that can be used to convert styles from one keyboard manufacturer's format to another, but it's expensive and I don't remember the name for certain just now-- possibly Style Magic. You can buy either the deluxe version (which costs the most) or just the version that converts to a specific brand's format.

EDIT: I forgot to add that there is-- or was-- a forum site devoted to converting styles from one brand to another, but I don't know if it's still active, and as I recall I think you had to pay to become a member. You might be able to pay someone on that forum to convert some Yamaha styles to Roland for you. I don't remember the name of the forum, though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:49:35 AM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
SeaGTGruff, I believe you mean "StyleWorks". That convert between various keyboards. But is a pricy tool. And you still need quit some work to have the conversions sound nice. But yes, it can be done.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:31:03 AM by Dick Rector »
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
SeaGTGruff, I believe you mean "StyleWorks".

Yes, that sounds right! I was pretty sure it wasn't Style Magic, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the correct name.

Offline Henni

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
Hi been a long time since I posted a question. Made the switch about a year ago from my old Yamaha PSR 2100 to a Roland BK5 Backing Arranger Keyboard....since i'm now gigging full time the Yamaha was just too heavy and lacked the ability to add additional style files via USB Flash Drive etc.

Just wondering if anyone offers a Paid Service to convert some on my favourite Yamaha Style Files to the Roland BK5 (with/without OST) etc.

Thanks
Dr. J

Send your styles to buildtofly@yahoo.com or host them somewhere for download. I'll convert for you, but you'll have to tweak yourself as I do not have a Roland.

Yes the program is called EMC Styleworks. I used it illegally for years and eventually purchased a legal copy of the latest version. This program is worth it's price many times over.

No, don't ask. I will not distribute Klaus' hard work to anyone.

Henni
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:47:44 AM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

doctorJ

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
Thank You All for the responses, much appreciated.
I will review my need if urgent and will take you up on your offer....for now I have managed to use the "available Roland" styles.
Cheers!

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
There are, or at least there were, two variations of EMC Styleworks. Universal, which is the one I have, lets you convert from almost any make to almost any make. Mine is an older version and didn't originally have support for later instruments such as the BK series and the later Atelier organs. I cheekily asked if I could have an upgrade and one was provided free of charge. (I can't guarantee that 'free' applies to everyone, remember that I work in the business and my reviews of the software helped sell many copies!).

The second, and better priced version is for one make only. So if you want to convert from almost anything to Roland, you buy the Roland version. There is, as has been said, some tidying up to be done and as Roland don't offer much in the way of style editing on board, you need to get it right in the software. But you can do this as many times as it takes to get the right sounds and balance. I've converted a few from the PRS-S series to BK5/Atelier and, after a little work, they sound OK. Not as good as they do on the Yamaha but a good addition.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

doctorJ

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
Thank You for All the input - very helpful...I will look into the suggestions....Thanks