Author Topic: "Legacy" voices  (Read 69799 times)

worldofmelody

"Legacy" voices
« on: June 02, 2018, 02:39:08 PM »
Hi -  Have a new PSR-S975, really enjoying it after using a much more basic arranger keyboard for a while now.  One little question, in the Data List of the users' manual, are listed  "Legacy" voices.  Can anybody tell me what those are ?  Have looked online but haven't found an explanation ….

Offline panos

Re: "Legacy" voices
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Hi my friend and wellcome to the forum,
pick any voice,
press up,
navigate to the voices folders,
you will find 3 folders with voices in Page 2:
Legacy,GM2,GM & XG

They don't have their own button to access them but they are really cool
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:07:23 PM by panos »

worldofmelody

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
Panos -  Thanks much for your reply !  Listened to some of your music also, really enjoyed  "Conquest of Paradise"….

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
You wellcome worldofmelody :)
I really like the strings they have in these extra folders.

You can download the style you listened from here if you want to play the song by the way.
Not a hard one to play.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42402.msg335456.html#msg335456

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »
Legacy voices are those that were on earlier keyboards and are no longer on the new ones. If you think one of your favorite voices has gone from your new keyboard you will find it in the Legacy folder.

worldofmelody

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »
Thanks, Eileen.  What confused me was that some of the legacy voices have the same names (e.g. Octave Piano 1, Harpsichord, Ambient Piano) but now when I look at them again, they have different  "voice types" so are indeed different voices.  Thanks again !

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:13:36 AM »
While they have the same name, they used different effects to produce the voices. The best legacy voice, IMO, is the growl sax, which I found far more authentic sounding then the newer ones.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

worldofmelody

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Hi Panos -  This is a question just for you ....  I posted above and you kindly answered last night and at the bottom of your text was a link to your Soundcloud music.  I listened to some of of your pieces, enjoyed them, and told you that when I answered you back.  THEN …. when I wake up this morning, there is a Soundcloud notification saying that you have listened to MY Soundcloud posts !  But I hadn't told you my link or even the fact that I had posted some stuff on Soundcloud.  So I'm confused -- how did you do that ??

The following users thanked this post: motifes

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
I failed to be a musician so I work for the MI6 and I like to play James Bond themes on my free time ;D  ;D

Here is how is done:
On soundcloud go to the stats of your profile.
In the page with the statistics it can show you the top listeners of your uploads for the period you will ask for, even if you don't have a pro plan there.

If you make a new cover you can also post the link to the song section of this forum for people to listen to it.
I like to get ideas of what people like in music how the play it, what styles and voices they are using and most of all, music is nice to listen to. :)

worldofmelody

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 02:35:33 AM »
Thanks for your reply, panos ! You've taught me a new trick.  And here I thought I knew everything !  Little joke there, the truth is that there's a **** of a lot I don't know …. but I'm learning.

Offline Sharon

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
Hi,

I've only just discovered these legacy voices thanks to this forum.  I'm totally blind and would just like to know a couple of things.  Once I've selected the legacy category how do I then select a voice within it.  My sighted husband read my screen to me, but I am not sure if I'm in the legacy category or not once I change the voice.  Any help appreciated.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »
Sharon, you select it as you do with all voices. If you are in the legace folder just select the voice you need and press the button next to it, or touch the file on the screen if it is Genos. If you find favorites here that you know you will use frequently, just copy them to user for easy access.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Sharon

Online overover

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Hi,

I've only just discovered these legacy voices thanks to this forum.  I'm totally blind and would just like to know a couple of things.  Once I've selected the legacy category how do I then select a voice within it.  My sighted husband read my screen to me, but I am not sure if I'm in the legacy category or not once I change the voice.  Any help appreciated.

Hi Sharon,

to be sure that you really are in the Legacy voice folder, select the desired Part (e. g. Right 1), then press any Voice Category button (e. g. "PIANO").

Now press the button for "UP" (= the upper button "8", below the display) SEVERAL times (!).When doing so, you can be sure that you are in the TOP level of the Preset Voice folders.

Then press "upper button 2" to go to Page 2 of the Voice Selection display and select the "Legacy" folder there. Unfortunately, I do not remember the exact position of the Legacy folder on that Page 2.

Inside the Legacy folder you have to select one of the subfolders with the desired Category, and finally you can select a Voice there.

If you want to select another Voice Categorie INSIDE the Legacy folder, be sure to press "UP" (upper butten "8") only ONCE. Otherwise you will "fall out" from the Legacy folder.

Hope this helps!

Best regards.
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Sharon

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
Oh many thanks, that is most helpful.  Sometimes it's just hard to work out where I am using these keyboards, I try to remember all the keystrokes, but it's difficult sometimes to find out all of them.  Your reply was most helpful, and many thanks again. 

Sharon

Online overover

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
Oh many thanks, that is most helpful.  Sometimes it's just hard to work out where I am using these keyboards, I try to remember all the keystrokes, but it's difficult sometimes to find out all of them.  Your reply was most helpful, and many thanks again.  ...

Hi Sharon,

thanks for your nice feedback!

P..S.
You could also work with one or more special "Voice Registrations" (that contain Legacy Voices in all Right parts). To make a "Voice Registration", in MEMORY dialog tick only the boxes "VOICE" and "HARMONY/ARPEGGIO". So, such a Registration will change only the Voice settings of the RIGHT parts, later. I always use the letter "v" at the beginning of the filename of my "Voice Registrations", for example "vLegPiano&Strings", to find them easier. You can also copy those Voice Regs to the USER drive, to can call up them quickly.

But don't forget to tick the other boxes again (like STYLE, MULTI PAD) to make a "normal" Registration, later.

If you call up such a "Voice Registration" with Legacy voices and then open the Voice Selection display for a particular Part, say Right 1, you will be right in the relevant subfolder of the Legacy Voice folder. If you want to use a "Panel Voice" for one of the Right parts then, you simply can press the relevant Voice Category button on the panel.

I guess, with this method you are faster than if you select a Legacy voice in the way I described above.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:21:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Sharon