Author Topic: Assignable Buttons and independent Right1/2/3 control  (Read 5087 times)

Offline jimlaing

Assignable Buttons and independent Right1/2/3 control
« on: June 02, 2018, 03:50:46 AM »
(Sent this question to Yamaha also):
Hello ... I'd like to use 3 of the assignable buttons as follows: Button "A" as "Insertion Effect On/Off for RIGHT1, Button "B" as Insertion Effect on/off for RIGHT2, and Button "C" as Insertion Effect on/off for RIGHT3.  It seems that when I alter the "RIGHT1/2/3" checkboxes at the bottom of the settings screen, it affects all 3 buttons to which I have assigned to "Insertion Effect On/Off".  I can't seem to separately set the 3 buttons to control Insertion On/Off for Right1, Right2, and Right3 respectively.

Is this intentional, or an oversight/bug?  I'm hoping that each button can be independently set to control Insertion Effect On/Off for whatever combination (or single) RIGHT1/2/3 that I'd like.

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pjd

Re: Assignable Buttons and independent Right1/2/3 control
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 05:39:52 AM »
Hi Jim --

Man, I'm glad you're investigating this, filling us in, and asking questions. Thanks!

I'm looking at the top of page 127 in the Genos Reference Manual (version d0). This is the "Assignable Functions" table. The entry for "Insert Effect On/Off" states:

Insertion Effect On/Off: Turns the Insertion Effects (page 119) on or off. You can turn this function on or off for
each keyboard part at the bottom of this display.

Sounds like that should affect particular, specific keyboard parts as selected by the user, not all three parts at once. This sounds like an oversight/bug if it's not behaving this way. Possibly the programmer interpreted the software spec differently.

This situation is worth bringing to Yamaha's attention. It would make a nice fix/enhancement for the next release.

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:42:17 AM by pjd »

Offline murrayb

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:39:38 AM »
Hi Jim

Email me the registration where you've saved this setting, I'd like to look at the codes that Genos is creating compared to the code YRM will create for the same setting.

Regards

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
Hi - actually, I'm not saving it into a registration, since I don't save Assignable Buttons in my registrations (I want Assignable Buttons to be unchanging as I go from Registration to Registration, as i'm still sort of figuring out which buttons I want to assign to what function . . .

I could do a "test" registration and specify to save Assignable Buttons to the Registration I suppose - I'll get all 3 buttons that I want to assign, all will have the same "L/R1/R2/R3" assignment since I can't save that independent for each button . . .

Jim

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
....Hi - actually, I'm not saving it into a registration, since I don't save Assignable Buttons in my registrations (I want Assignable Buttons to be unchanging as I go from Registration to Registration.....

Jim

Jim,
it seems you like me feel a top of the line keyboard - disregarding who is the manufacturer - have since TYROS 1 only had YAMAHA keyboards  -  should have many

"global" settings  that you can set and lock on the parameter lock page to survive power cycling and forget.

But it seems that is too much to ask. As Gary has  pointed out he has already many models ago asked for this from YAMAHA, but to no avail. For instance the mic setting on the Genos still reverts to default 3 part harmony when power is cycled just as on Tyros.
But admittedly YAMAHA does react if enough buyers want something.  The colour of the buttons was changed to blue as some 8 % of buyers could not see the difference of red and green buttons. (As it so happens I belong to those, the only color I can see is blue)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Strangely even at the high - I am not saying unreasonable to avoid flak - price we are not given the privilege to just  switch on the Genos,  choose a STYLE and a VOICE and have the keyboard ready and behaving the way we want it to behave.

Everyone advises us to make a registration and input whatever we want into that. To me that might be considered "a valid work around" to solve the problem but not what it should be, especially as the reg bank settings are not 100 % reliable at least on  on my Genos 1.3.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:36 AM »

Strangely even at the high - I am not saying unreasonable to avoid flak - price we are not given the privilege to just  switch on the Genos,  choose a STYLE and a VOICE and have the keyboard ready and behaving the way we want it to behave.

Strangely, I can turn on my Genos, select a style and voice, and start playing, just like I could with my Tyros.

What makes you say you can’t do the same thing?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »
Hi - so on the topic of assignable buttons and "Insert Effect On/Off", it is possible to choose whether you want L,R1,R2, and/or R3.  It's just that whatever you select, you can't then have a 2nd button do "Insert Effect On/Off" for a different part.

I had wanted:
  Button A - Insert On/Off for Right1
  Button B - Insert On/Off for Right2
  Button C - Insert On/OFf for Right3

but that is not possible.
Jim

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 04:35:23 AM »
Hi Jim --

Thanks for validating and describing the current behavior.

Count me in, Yamaha, for an enhancement that supports Jim's extended use case. Far more versatile than the current implementation.

Thanks, again -- pj

Offline murrayb

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »
Hi Jim and pjd

Because these settings would have an impact on YRM, I had a contact create test registrations based on the data in the Reference Manual page 127.

He reported back that the following items can have the part selection set:
Articulation 1
Articulation 2
Articulation 3
Mono/Poly
Modulation (+) Alt
Modulation (-) Alt
Insertion Effect On/Off
Organ Rotary Slow/Fast

The test registration revealed that the coding for part assignment is similar to foot pedal, so it doesn't appear that these items were overlooked by Yamaha.

The attached registration has Insertion Effect On/Off set as Jim has described above.  Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Murray

[attachment deleted by admin]
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html