Author Topic: What chords are used in the intro's?  (Read 8828 times)

Offline ton37

What chords are used in the intro's?
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:15:33 AM »
Hi there, does the T5 shows 'somewhere' what chords are used in the Intro. For instance Intro 2 of Freestyle Ethereal voices? I cannot discover it, if the T5 shows this?
Tia. Ton
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

Re: What chords are used in the intro's?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:24 AM »
The only way to see what chords are used is to quick record the intro and then when you play it back the chords will show and you can write them down.

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »
Hi Eileen
Can you elaborate on "Quick Record"
I tried New Song > with intro & Sync Start to record it.
During playback there were no chord changes shown.
What am I missing on my Tyros4
Thanks for the info.
Regards Ted

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
Hi Eileen,

This is really a neat and useful trick because knowing which chords are into an intro can help improvising with the right hand while the impro is playing (and it will also work for Endings I assume).

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »
The Score display should show the chords.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi --

Another option is to rename the style file and change the file extension to ".MID". Import the style file into a DAW or notation program.

The style sections have MIDI markers with names like "INTRO A", "MAIN A", "ENDING A", etc. Some programs will identify the chords for you (e.g., Sibelius) or work them out by hand (not a bad way to learn a little musical theory).

Just a different suggestion -- pj

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
The only way to see what chords are used is to quick record the intro and then when you play it back the chords will show and you can write them down.

If I do this on my Tyros4, the only chord that shows in the score display when the MIDI is played back is the initial one used to trigger the style! 

As a style plays, it's internal patterns do not produce any chord events that are recorded, even in an Intro or Ending which could contain chord progressions.

It appears that Chord events are only produced by chord changes detected from the keys pressed in the style section of the keyboard, but obviously when playing an Intro or Ending you only actually play one chord at the beginning of the section to actually trigger it.

If you watch the MAIN display, the currently detected chord is shown on the screen and this is what is recorded when using MIDI Quick Record on the keyboard.  Start a style intro that you know contains different chords.  Other than the chord used to start the style, do you see any chords from the style pattern shown on the screen?  Well, that is also what is recorded in the MIDI!

As I said, this is what happens on my Tyros4.  Perhaps other models are different, but I doubt it!  Maybe I am doing something wrong?

As Vinciane said "This is really a neat and useful trick", and I agree that it would be - if it worked!

Regards

Ian

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 01:26:53 AM »
You are right of course Ian ... the root chord does not actually change during the intro, it's the individual notes on the intro section that form different chords as it plays - unlike in sections A/B/C/D where the notes are supposed to stay in CMaj.

The "chord" played by the left hand defines how the intro as a whole will be transposed.

So you'll have to go into the step editor, or score, for the part that's playing the chords and try to identify them by eye.

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
I don't think also it will show the chords because it can understand only the one you played.
The rest of the pattern of the parts relies on this one chord because probably are just melodic parts for the keyboard's "way of thinking".

But if you record the intro as Eileen said,
you can still display the score of channels 13 to 16 to see what are the notes of each channel so you can find out the chords by yourself in the key you want to play the song.

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:04 AM »
Thank you all for all your replies.
I'v tried to duplicate your advises on the Tyros 5. (But not with Midi/Daw.. yet)
When I start the intro I see the 'openings-chord' in the Main-display. It does not change, allthought I can hear that other chords are used in the Intro.

The idea of making a quick record helps as @Eileen told.  And just as @Panos wrote: Choose Set-up in the display in the 'Score-modus' and then with 'Channel On/Off' one can listen in which Channel the Chord are used. All Channels Off, except e.g. Channel 13 (or 14 and/or 15/16) will show which notes/chords are used.

For me: than it becomes rather complex, as my reading skills for musical notes are very bad  ::)
But thanks to your appreciated contributions you shows me the way HOW I could see the used Chords in an Intro!

Greetings, Ton
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:53:01 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
Hi Ton,

I just had a thought about this (it does happen occasionally)!  ::)

If you have an iOS device (iPad, iPhone or even iPod Touch), you could try using Yamaha's 'Chord Tracker' app to identify the chords.

This works with audio files, so you would need to record the style intro to the keyboard's audio recorder.  This would produce a '.wav' file which you would then need to import into the app.  I think that you have to import audio via iTunes rather than the obvious and simple way of using a USB memory device, but that's (Cr)Apple for you!  :'( ::)

I don't have an iPad, iPhone or iAnything so I can't try this out myself, but if you have such a device it might be worth a try.  I have seen reports suggesting that although not perfect, the app does a pretty good job in many cases.

Regards

Ian

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
HI Ian, like you I also have no IOS devices, its All windows ;). Thanks anyway.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
@Ian: good idea. I have ChordTracker and it does indeed a fairly good job of figuring out chords in an audio file.

@Ton: if this can help, send me the audio file of the intro from which you want to know the chords and I can process it through ChordTracker for you and take snapshots of my iPad screen so that you would have the chord chart of the intro. I am occupied today but I could do this over the weekend.

If you are interested, just tell me here and I’ll send you a PM with my email address.

Regards,

Vinciane.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:27:55 PM by vbdx66 »
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline ton37

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
@Vinciane, your offer is very generous. Thank you for that, but my question in this post is more of a general issue with solutions which can be useful in various intro's / endings used with various styles. Greetings Ton 8)
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »
BIAB might also be a useful tool to discover the intro and ending chords. Midi and/or Audio.

Babette

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
Ton
Have you ever tried just playing some chords in your rh along with the intro to get them. Use the combination of your ear and knowledge of chord sequences to guess what they are and trial and error till you get them right. They are seldom very complicated. Or make an mp3 of one of the intros in key of C and post it and someone will tell you what they are in a couple of minutes listening.
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 10:51:40 PM »
Or take a photo of the score page showing the part that's playing the chords and we can identify them from that.
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 04:28:09 AM »
Hi all, I'm very grateful for all your advises and help. It shows me the way how to handle this item.
As @mikf wrote to use our ears is very helpfull and indeed I succeeded in by trial and error to get the right chords. It is very educational too.
Then I followed the advice of @pjd (and others) and made a midifile with the intro. Imported into my DAW and opened the Score Editor. Playing the right channels shows the used chords. F,C,Csus4 in a loop.
Wow, I didn't realised it could be so simple as that ::) Thank you 'technique'  ;) The reason is that I'm still working to get knowing the T5 and wanted to work with my DAW lateron. Not all together, one step at a time.  ;) This too was one of the reasons I bought the T5 to use it with Cubase.

Thanks again being so helpful, greetings Ton
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:31:02 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline andyg

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 09:57:26 PM »
FWIW, the #1 ear is still the best way of figuring out what to play with an intro or ending - but only IF you learn and practice how to do it. I've not had a student who couldn't do it, given a bit of time and effort.

Try recording the intro only, then play it back, stopping, starting and rewinding as required. Find simple melodic lines that match some of the notes you hear. Use something like strings, as they can be played low (cellos) medium or high (violins), or something that can breathe, like a wind or brass voice.

I also encourage my students to bypass the intros as far as possible, and only ever to use Ending 1, but that's a topic for another thread! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ton37

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 03:53:14 AM »
Hi Andyg, thanks for your encouraging post, yes I'm working on it  ;)
But I also like discovering  (music)software. For example by studying this isue I discovered how it could be done with a DAW. After that I tried it with Musescore 2 . And that worked too.

I know the pitfall: 'playing' with all those 'operating-issues/peripheral phenomena' is at the cost of 'playing' the keyboard itself. But I'm happy with that: as it is me and my keyboard. I'm my own public. So as long as that public is satisfied, I'm too  ;D
My best regards,
Ton