Author Topic: MacOS X Sound format  (Read 4850 times)

Offline emmaco

MacOS X Sound format
« on: June 01, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
it would have been really useful if the genos could directly read files in CAF or AIFF format for Mac users.
it would avoid wasting time with audacity.

Do you think an update will allow it ? :-\

it would have been much simpler for MacOS users ... copy the CAF or AIFF files to USB key and directly import the sounds in the Genos.
And there is a lot of sounds, sound effects, loops etc in CAF format. What a pity to have to convert them all to wave format...it's a big waste of time...

To be able to recover sounds in CAF format from soundtrack pro, Finalcut pro, iLife or GarageBand directly in Genos would have been wonderful.

However, I am having fun with the Genos !... It's an incredible instrument. The possibilities are limitless.
Unfortunately the days only last 24 hours ... ;D

Online EileenL

Re: MacOS X Sound format
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
Pleased to hear you are having fun with your Genos as this is what it is all about. Great keyboard.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
What a pity to have to convert them all to wave format...it's a big waste of time...

There are free and inexpensive utilities that will let you batch convert to .wav, thousand of files at once if you wish.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline markstyles

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:44:55 AM »
I use Logic Pro on Mac. I can save my song in AIF, WAVE, CAF.  And Mac can play them directly without any conversion..

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, a Mac doesn't care if the file is an AIF, or Wave. I don't use Garageband, so am not sure of what there audio output is.
Check the application you are using to see if you can export your audio as Wave to save a step of conversion..

Yes, it would be nice if Genos could do that.. I thought Genos could read mp3 files, but am not certain. Any instrument has only so much flash memory, to store OS..
So Yamaha has to draw the line somewhere..  otherwise they'd have to get larger flash memory to add more features, but the price of instrument would go up.. 

The Genos is at about my purchase price line.. Yamaha has been very good at determining the ratio of how many people will buy a product at what price.
Years ago, Korg made a tremendous instrument call Oasys.. Unfortunately it was $10,000..  As much as I loved it, there was no way I would  spend that much money.

I suppose if enough people wrote to Yamaha, and asked they might consider it.

Offline emmaco

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »
I’m using Logic Pro too, Soundtrack Pro, Final Cut etc.
There are thousands of sounds provided with these software (Apple loops for Soundtrack Pro, Final Cup Pro sound effects, iLife Sound Effects etc) but all in CAF format.

I just want to use some of them to create Multi Pad, and it would have been nice to put all the sounds in a usb stick and be able to choose directly a sound without having to convert it before, leaving the Genos to convert CAF to WAVE. Tiger Roar : 652 Ko (CAF) and 3,6 Mo (WAVE).

So I convert CAF to WAVE before with a software, but what a waste of time !... :o
It must be a licensing problem, because these software are very popular.

Anyway, for someone like me who comes from the world of Workstations, Multi-Pads are very convenient.
I like the way Genos works, this idea to « take a snapshot » of everything that’s going on is very clever and logical.

I have never had so much fun playing on a keyboard. But I have to be careful, since I have the genos I do not sleep more than 4-5 hours a night... :-[

trigger samples in a live situation becomes a real pleasure.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
Hi --

Just took a quick look at Core Audio Format (CAF).

A full implementation of CAF (both import and export) would be non-trivial without an underlying CAF library (API). I doubt if Apple is going to provide a CAF library for Linux running on ARM, which is the underlying Genos platform.

CAF has a lot of features that support Apple software: markers, music meta-data, overview chunks, peak chunks, etc. If it's a matter of importing audio and converting to WAV, maybe. Probably not export from WAV.

Only a small number of non-Apple DAWs support CAF (e.g., Pro Tools). So, there must be a technical/cost hurdle somewhere.

All the best -- pj

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 04:06:16 AM »
So I convert CAF to WAVE before with a software, but what a waste of time !... :o

While I sympathize with your initial challenge here, we're only talking about a a single drag and drop operation to convert all your files at once. No time wasted at all.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline emmaco

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
While I sympathize with your initial challenge here, we're only talking about a a single drag and drop operation to convert all your files at once. No time wasted at all.

I agree but there is a preselection work that takes time...And it takes a lot more space…
luckily the usb keys are generous those days… ;D
and I do not necessarily need to have 12000 diverse and varied noises and sound effects on the genos ... though… ;D

Anyway, wonderful keyboard… 8)