Author Topic: Best Piano Expansion Pack?  (Read 16723 times)

Offline Toplayer2

Best Piano Expansion Pack?
« on: June 01, 2018, 01:06:55 AM »
I am disappointed with the grand piano sounds in Genos.  While slightly better than those in the T5, to my ears the CFX and CF in the CP4 are much better. Has anyone discovered an exceptional 3rd party piano expansion for Genos?

Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:08:28 AM by Toplayer2 »
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline DerekA

Re: Best Piano Expansion Pack?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
I have been considering the MidiPirates Pop Upright Piano pack for T5. It's a bit of an expensive gamble at £120 though. Has anyone tried that one?
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:45:35 AM »
Try tweaking in voice set until you get nearer to what you prefer then save as a user voice.

Audrey Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
Hello Joe,

I was also a bit disappointed in the pianos when I first got the Genos, but I am still exploring all the possibilities of the keyboard and tonight to my delight, I found quite a few of my favourite pianos and strings, from previous Tyros keyboards in "The  Classics" at the bottom of the Styles section, plus I also found the 'Legacy' which is in the Multipad section.  Hope this helps.

Audrey Turner

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
Hi

I would love to see Yamaha make a book on sound tweaks giving numbers etc and explanations for Genos sounds.
I would think It would sell well.

Maybe a sound creation section on this site.

John
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:33:40 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
I am disappointed with the grand piano sounds in Genos.  While slightly better than those in the T5, to my ears the CFX and CF in the CP4 are much better. Has anyone discovered an exceptional 3rd party piano expansion for Genos?

Thanks,
Joe

If you are not satisfied with stock Piano in Genos, please listen and try my Pack Piano, I made a short video clip below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxVRbC76yQ
Thanks!

Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »
Sounds good ... is this using expansion wave samples or voices using the Genos internal waves? If it's expansion waves, how can I get a copy to try?
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
Sounds good ... is this using expansion wave samples or voices using the Genos internal waves? If it's expansion waves, how can I get a copy to try?

Hi Derek,

According to Snicker740's following post, you can email him to acquire the expansion pack:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43379.msg345836.html#msg345836
"You will have it like what you have seen and heard. Please email me at: thangstudio@gmail.com"

Thanks,
Paul

keynote

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
As a comparison here is the Genos internal C7 Grand Piano. I'm not sure if it has been tweaked or not but it's definitely a superb piano sound nonetheless. It certainly shows you the quality of the Genos acoustic piano(s) especially when using proper EQ settings and other adjustments available on the Genos itself including voice editing if necessary.

Genos C7 Grand Piano Demo

Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
Thank you Paul.
Genos

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 02:33:19 AM »

If you are not satisfied with stock Piano in Genos, please listen and try my Pack Piano, I made a short video clip below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxVRbC76yQ
Thanks!

Thanks. Snicker740! I just emailed a request to you for the Ivory II. I look forward to trying it.

Joe
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 03:39:26 AM »
The pack from Yamhamusicsoft Derka is referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-EDeRHN14
At the first demo he hardly releases the keys.
If you could play several songs this way you can call your self "synthesia robot player"  :)
Play exactly what he plays,the way he does and maybe your edited piano sounds are not so different.

In my opinion,
If arranger keyboards could play better piano sounds without using all their memory capacity,
then they just would be in the preset section of the Genos,the T5,or the PA4x...
Not to mention there must be a reason for keyboards to have semi weighted keys,
while digital pianos have hammer action keys   
and pianos have progressive hammer-action keys
and I guess is got something to do with the final result that all instruments trying to achieve: the sound.

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
Cost and overall weight of the keyboard are big factors for manufacturers in selecting the key action. Semi weighted is a compromise, which keeps these reasonable. 
Mike

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 01:41:29 AM »
I ordered Snicker740’s piano expansion pack after testing the trial version (which disables a few notes).  The Ivory II (which I believe is the Steinway D) and Yamaha C7 grand pianos are both very good sounding. They are almost up to the standard of the Yamaha CP4 stage piano and both are more appealing to my ears than the Genos CFX and C7 which sound bright and thin by comparison.

The two included e-pianos are quite nice as well.  The price is $50 US.

Joe

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 07:34:50 AM »
A close friend who also happens to be an official “Steinway Artist” (and the person who recorded the demo of my free theatre organ expansion pack for Genos) just alerted me to a new piano sample set, the 1955 Walker Steinway produced by Embertone.  Based on the demo recording, this is by far the best sampled piano sound I have ever heard.  The “Lite” version (if you wanna call 7 GB ‘lite’) is only $39, a rediculously low price.  The full version (200 GB) is $175.  You can find it using Google.

Joe

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Thanks Joe. Wish you happy moments with the new piano.
Genos + Motif XS7

keynote

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »

Free Trial Piano Pack for Genos
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »
I am ready to provide a trial installation package for Genos.
This is a PPI file so every Genos owner can try it.
Includes Trial Piano pack and Fully Drum Pack

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nta404730ycn4pt/Genos_Piano_Drum+Trial.rar

Enjoy it, and contact me if you like it.
Best regards!
Genos + Motif XS7

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
After many hours of trials, I am sorry to say that my initial impresdions of the Genos pianos has not changed.  I tried using the CP4 with its excellent action as MIDI controller.  I tried editing all available voice and DSP paramters, but have concluded that the underlying samples are the real problem.  The CP4’s CFX is simply a much better sounding piano.  The CF in the CP4 is better still in my opinion. Given the very high price of the Genos, for me it is extremely disappointing not to have better piano samples. Check out the YouTube demos of the new P-515 which has a street price of $1499 US.

Maybe the Genos II?

Joe

PdeMats

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 03:07:33 AM »
We all Genos owners should have access to the Bosendorfer Piano Library from Yamaha, wich is actually free for Montage and MODX users, unfortunatelly there's no version available for Genos
The demos of this are amazing to my ears
Yamaha, please, are you listening?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
Not unless you contact them and tell them what you would like.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
Hi Eileen

I contacted Yamaha about a deidcated Daw for the Genos , but they say what is wrong with Cubase.
The thing is there is so many glitches with midi and Genos In Cubase. The same happens with the Tyros
If they made a Yamaha daw for the Genos ,It would make a lot of people happy
Also a decent easy to use Stylemaker program would be nice.
Klaus fron EMC is just starting on a Yamaha Genos update by the way. I will believe it when I see It though. Why cant Yamaha do this sort of thing as people would pay for It
So I do not think that the Bosendorfer pianos would be released anytime soon for the Genos. Playing with the sound can give a lot better results as you said.
I am surprised that a lot of new Instruments, Pads have not been released for the Genos. The possibilities are there for an enterprising Yamaha.
Yamaha sounds are expensive compared with Easy sounds and they are just as good especially the Analog synths.
I must admit Eileen the bass and kicks are really heavy on the Genos, much more than the Tyros. I have to back the bass off to about Volume 30-to 35 and go Into the sequncer step mode to lower kicks by about 40.

So no Bosendofer  Honky Tonk!!! ;D

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:37:21 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »
Strange John because I find the bass and kick drums on Genos have a much better balance in the styles and a nicer sound to them. My bass is usually around 70-75 and records very well. I did have problems with the balance I like on Tyros.

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 12:04:26 AM »
Hi folks,

the German sound engineer (SAE) Peter Schips offers three professional Piano Expansion Packs for Genos and Tyros5 (two Grand Pianos and one Upright Piano):

German site:
http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page13.html

Google translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cms-sounddesign.de%2Fpage13.html&edit-text=

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:07:10 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »
Hi Eileen

In November I am sorting my room out and going for some wall treatment and maybe it could be something to do with room acoustics.

All the best

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 05:13:11 AM »
Hi Eileen

In November I am sorting my room out and going for some wall treatment and maybe it could be something to do with room acoustics.

All the best
Hi John did you get a response from "Sound On Sound? Are they coming in November?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:12:54 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
Hi Tommy

Not heard yet but I have studied a lot of videos and decided to look Into It. Got some home decorating to do first.
What would Sound on Sound charge you for their experience If they did contact you?? I do not want a bill of £20,000 or so!! ::)
I saw on their site  some lucky guy got £10,000 of equipment in a competition plus a studio makeover. Well,  ::) we can always dream.
It Is weird though as I saw a top studio mixer doing a job for IK Multimedia for this group buy 10 plugins for the price of one and when he Is talking on You Tube his massive mixer and speakers are near a window and guitars and racks everywhere, but no sign of acoustic treatment. They must know secrets we do not.
Everything else is fine, but I will have to put some bass traps In and some side panels  and back wall to stop reflection and then things may become clearer
I am not a million miles out with sound, It is just the low area I have to sort.
Those Focal alphas are the business.

All the Best
 :)John
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:06:02 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Ok John sounds like you are getting there and pleased to here you like the Focal's  :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:30:54 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
Hi Tommy
I listened to Warren Huart a top mixer on the Ik Group buy T racks video.
He went through a whole mix with people e-mailing In.
I contacted him later and asked him, how did you mix all of that when your mixer and speakers are behind a large window and guitars and racks everwhere with no sign of acoustic treatment.
I said you must be a headphone genius.
He came back Instantlly to my surprise and said marvelous question .
He uses blue headphones and headphone Sonarworks.
I will look again at the headphone Sonarworks. I think that you also mentioned that.

all the best
john :)

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
Hi Tommy
I listened to Warren Huart a top mixer on the Ik Group buy T racks video.
He went through a whole mix with people e-mailing In.
I contacted him later and asked him, how did you mix all of that when your mixer and speakers are behind a large window and guitars and racks everwhere with no sign of acoustic treatment.
I said you must be a headphone genius.
He came back Instantlly to my surprise and said marvelous question .
He uses blue headphones and headphone Sonarworks.
I will look again at the headphone Sonarworks. I think that you also mentioned that.

all the best
john :)
https://sonarworks.com/reference?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllEQD6Cyl0o9ehN229mpAxihiG8hfMMr1wO7lNENWg1cJOLxZnjK5zcaAtrcEALw_wcB

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
After many hours of trials, I am sorry to say that my initial impresdions of the Genos pianos has not changed...

Time for me to eat a little crow and admit that Eileen was right when she suggested a bit of tweaking could bring out a piano sound that holds up to the competition.  Starting with the CFX Ambient, raising the Filter cutoff to 16 and backing the Delay and Reverb down a bit produces a very satisfying grand piano sound to my ears.  I am using a Yamaha P-515 with its very nice wooden action as a MIDI controller for Genos.  The Genos has far better digital effects than the P-515 which helps produce a CFX piano sound that I prefer to the 515.

Joe

Offline StuartR

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
I ordered Snicker740’s piano expansion pack after testing the trial version (which disables a few notes).  The Ivory II (which I believe is the Steinway D) and Yamaha C7 grand pianos are both very good sounding. They are almost up to the standard of the Yamaha CP4 stage piano and both are more appealing to my ears than the Genos CFX and C7 which sound bright and thin by comparison.

The two included e-pianos are quite nice as well.  The price is $50 US.

Joe

I agree. I'm going to purchase these as well. Very nice sounding.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »

Just got this new Piano pack... includes three concert pianos now:

Ivory (not sure what that's modeled after)
Ravenscroft 275
Yamaha CFX
If you're not familiar with the Ravenscroft 275 (as I wasn't) check it out... they are a relatively new entry (15 years) in the high end grand piano arena and already compete head to head with the other top end concert grand - the Fazioli. The Ravenscroft 275 9 foot concert grand costs $280,000 US. (Yikes)

Update: slightly off topic but I couldn't not share this incredible performance by two jazz masters at a past NAMM show on two Ravencroft grands. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/N9aUYkQ9c-s
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:39:39 AM by StuartR »

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

Filippo

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »

Could you please show me this link? Thanks

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:48 AM »
Could you please show me this link? Thanks

Hello.
Unfortunately, I do not have time to create a demo for new audio.
However, you can look at the list of voice piano you get in the picture below.

https://www.upsieutoc.com/image/BOOmEj

Genos + Motif XS7