Author Topic: "an over current occurred"  (Read 24972 times)

Offline YammyFan

"an over current occurred"
« on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
Twice in the past,, the notice "an over current occurred" has appeared on my PSR 970. The first time it happened I got really scared. But, thankfully, nothing serious, happened. However, I am keen to avoid doing the wrong thing, in future,  and welcome members' comments on this post.

Offline EileenL

Re: "an over current occurred"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »
Do you mean by Over Current an electrical surge. It is always best with most keyboards to use Anti Surge Plugs.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »
Hi --

I'm assuming that the overcurrent message appeared after plugging a device into the USB-A port.

A USB (host or USB-A) port supplies a limited amount of electrical current. The USB hardware detects an attempt to draw more current than allowed and shuts down the port. The overcurrent condition is reported to software, so software can report the condition to the user.

I wouldn't expect any issues (Yamaha are good engineers). However, please take notice of the power hungry USB device and stop using it. Replace it with a less demanding device.

More details would help analysis.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
I did a search in both the owners manual and service manual for any error codes or messages related to 'over current' and found none. 
Does the keyboard continue to function or does it stop working and need to be powered off to reset it? When this occurs are you playing through the internal speakers, perhaps set a bit loud (maybe with much bass content) which may take more electrical current?

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Thanks MarkF48 , PJD and Eileen.Yes, the incident is definitely related to the USB. I had a USB  Hub plugged in.My USB Hub has 4 switches on it. I think sometimes I am  a bit impatient switching off one thumb drive in the Hub, and switching on another thumb drive.  Fortunately, i have not had to power off, or reset my keyboard.  I have made a promise to myself that in future I will slow down. Computers these days, respond so quickly,that I have grown to expect everything to happen instantaneously, and, maybe like us, they need a moment to gather their thoughts, and regroup.

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline alanclare

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »
I have exactly the same 4-switch hub set-up and I incurred exactly the same set of circumstances just the other day. As you say, I must slow down a bit when switching between usbs.

Alan

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
I forgot to mention in my first post on this subject that my HUB  is plugged into my laptop, and not into the 240 volt power point in our house.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
Just to clarify a couple things...

- Is the HUB is plugged into and powered by the laptop so the keyboard and perhaps some other devices are connected to the laptop, such as the keyboard is plugged into one of the 4 ports(?)

- I have had my own computer pop up an 'Over Current' message when a USB hub had a problem (HUB was intermittently defective). Was it your laptop that gave the message with the S970 connected to the HUB or was it actually the S970 that gave the 'Over Current' message.

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:31:57 AM »
No laptops were involved in my instance.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 01:38:35 AM »
I think they only recommend using two USB ports in the S Series.

Offline alanclare

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 05:05:26 AM »
They do. I use a switchable 4-port hub to save unnecessary plugging in and out of memory sticks, I just make sure that no more than two if the usbs are connected to the arranger at any one time.

Alan

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
YammyFan,

You don't need to use a powered USB HUB.  A passive HUB will do just fine. I have one of those HUBs with 4 switch Ports on it but there is no power required.  The keyboard will supply enough power.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:07:20 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for your posts on this subject.  I saw the  notice "an overcurrent occurred" appear on my PSR  970  [Not on my laptop]
I'm very, very happy with my usb  HUB which gains its power from my PSR 970. I try to  always have only one switch  on my Hub on at a time.

eddystb

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
I've got the same problem how can i solve it, please some help

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:25 PM »

You don't need to use a powered USB HUB.  A passive HUB will do just fine. I have one of those HUBs with 4 switch Ports on it but there is no power required.  The keyboard will supply enough power.

Joe H
Well said, Joe. I have  been using a non powered 4 way Hub on my PSR 970 and Psr 750  for about 3 years.

eddystb

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
thank you yammy, but it cant be repaird?

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Sorry. I guess I have been lucky. My equipment has suffered no ill effects , even though I have received a message on my PSR saying " an over current occurred" at least 4 times over the  last 4 years.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:28:18 AM by YammyFan »

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 04:48:19 PM »

This message appears when a USB device draws too much electrical current. The USB hardware is designed to detect overcurrent and to tell software about the condition. The hardware/software shut down the USB port in order to prevent damage.

The USB port should be OK, but I wouldn't try to power the offending device (memory, hub, whatever) from the USB port. If you can plug the device into its own AC adapter, that's a good place to start. Otherwise, maybe use a powered USB hub.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan