Author Topic: chinese voices and styles  (Read 13703 times)

phillipwang

chinese voices and styles
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
Hi there,

I am new to keyboard and especially Genos.  I am looking for some Chinese song styles and voices.  Can someone point me to right direction?  Thanks in advance.

BR/Phillip

Offline DrakeM

Re: chinese voices and styles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
There was a "Chinese Pack" that Yamaha gave away for the S950, I had it a one point. I had it saved with many other packs at 4shared but I lost them because it was a free account and I wasn't active enough using the account and they closed it on me.

I shared the pack with many others here at the forum, perhaps some one will post you a new link to the pack here.

Regards
Drake

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
Hi there,

I am new to keyboard and especially Genos.  I am looking for some Chinese song styles and voices.  Can someone point me to right direction?  Thanks in advance.

BR/Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I do not know of any free Chinese song styles and voices.

The 'China' voice and style expansion pack for PSR-S970 costs $99.99, and is compatible to Genos (you have to choose PSR-S970 as your keyboard in order to purchase it, it is not listed under Genos):
https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/catalog/product/view/_ignore_category/1/id/4168/s/china-2/

I have both the PSR-S970 and the Genos.  The installation of the China expansion pack requires S970 instrument information file.  Once the China expansion pack is installed with YEM 2.5.1, it can also be used with the Genos as well.  If you do not have a S970, you should contact Yamaha MusicSoft at phone number 1-866-430-2652 to seek advice before you buy this pack.

The China expansion pack comes with about 33 different Chinese instrument voices, 2 China drum / percussion kits, and 20 Chinese styles.

The free "Vietnam" voice and style pack for PSR-S970 contains 12 styles and 18 Vietnamese instrument voices, also quite usable on Genos:
http://download.yamaha.com/files/tcm:39-789792?_ga=2.253731342.600008316.1527561090-466303913.1504966747

There was a free "Japanese" voice and expansion pack for PSR-S670/770/970 that came with 15 styles and 7 Japanese instrument voices that are quite usable, and is compatible to Genos.  However, Yamaha removed the Japanese expansion pack from their download websites.

I found that there are plenty of modern Chinese song styles in the following 3rd party voice and style expansion pack:
Pro Style Music (PSM) sells this Dance and Pop - PSM V1 expansion pack for $100 (you must specify Genos as your keyboard):
https://prostylemusic.net/item/guitar-mla-pack-tyros-5-s770-s970-copy-copy-1

PSM voice and style expansion packs are locked to the instrument information file.  If you register the pack for your Genos, you can only use it on your registered Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

phillipwang

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi Drake,
thank you. Hopefully, someone would share your pack. 

Hi Paul,

It is very informative.    I have good amount of material to work with.   Thank you.

BR/Phillip

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »
Okay, spent a couples of hours surfing and I found the psr-s650 version of the Chinese pack. There are 20 styles in the pack. I don't know if this pack will install on my S950, but I will give it a try.

yea, Yamaha gave all the S950 packs away for free .. you just had to use a different email account for each pack and the password "freepack4me" (or something like that it was.)

I can upload the styles for you and you can see if you can change out the voices to default ones on your keyboard. I don't know what Chinese music is supposed to sound like and that is why I never tried to revoice these styles when I first acquired them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:29:19 PM by DrakeM »

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
Okay, spent a couples of hours surfing and I found the psr-s650 version of the Chinese pack. There are 20 styles in the pack. I don't know if this pack will install on my S950, but I will give it a try.

yea, Yamaha gave all the S950 packs away for free .. you just had to use a different email account for each pack and the password "freepack4me" (or something like that it was.)

I can upload the styles for you and you can see if you can change out the voices to default ones on your keyboard. I don't know what Chinese music is supposed to sound like and that is why I never tried to revoice these styles when I first acquired them.

Hi Drake,

The PSR-S650 version of the China pack should install properly on S950 without a doubt.

The China pack might have been free for S950, but not any more for later models.

The Chinese styles in the China pack depend on the Chinese instrument voices in the same pack to sound authentic.  Changing the voices to the default ones on the keyboard does not help - I already tried doing the same, but the styles sound totally not authentic without the included Chinese instrument voices, which now require purchase.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

Will Phillip be able to install the S650 pack into his Genos keyboard?

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Hi Drake,

I do not have the China pack for S650, so I am not 100% sure, but I guess it is not compatible with Genos.  For older Yamaha arranger keyboard model(s) such as Tyros5, Tyros4, S650S750/S950 etc, he can install this pack.  For newer arranger models such as S670/770/970/775/975/Genos, he cannot install this China pack for S650.

My experience with the China pack for S970 is that in order to install it on YEM, I had to add the keyboard with the S970 instrument information file on YEM.  Once the China pack was installed for S970 on YEM, then I had to add Genos instrument information file on YEM.  After that I was able to include the China pack in generating the Genos_PackInstallData.ppf (packs from Yamaha only) or Genos_PackInstallData.cpi (packs from Yamaha and 3rd parties).

The China pack for S970 is compatible with Genos because they both use SWP71 tone generator.  PSR-S650 probably uses SWP51 tone generator, and so the China pack for S650 is unlikely to be compatible with Genos.  This is the reason why Yamaha published the schedule of expansion pack conversion from Tyros5 (SWP51) to Genos (SWP71x2).

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:20:09 PM by zionip »

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
The China pack for S970 is compatible with Genos because they both use SWP71 tone generator.  PSR-S650 probably uses SWP51 tone generator, and so the China pack for S650 is unlikely to be compatible with Genos.  This is the reason why Yamaha published the schedule of expansion pack conversion from Tyros5 (SWP51) to Genos (SWP71x2).

Hi folks --

The S650 uses Yamaha's SWX02 CPU which integrates the computer processor and tone generator on the same chip. The SWX02 tone generator is essentially a subset of the SWP51. Yamaha software treats SWX02 as independent from the SWP50 family.

The current mainstream tone generator is the SWP70 (not "71". Sorry, I don't mean to be a pedant.  :D ). Anything the SWP51L can do, the SWP70 can do better and is backward compatible with SWP51. No low-level conversion is required. That's why an S970 expansion pack often works on Genos. Conversion issues from T5 to Genos most likely involve other dimensions like Revo drums, differences in registration, new/additional waveforms, etc.

Hope this helps out -- pj
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:43:05 PM by pjd »

Offline zionip

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »
Hi PJ,

Thanks for your detailed tone generator information.

I just found out the tone generator SWX02 from the S550 service manual - I do not have the S650 service manual.

Sorry, I made a typo SWP71 instead of SWP70 as you pointed out.

From your information, I can infer that the China pack for S650 is compatible with Genos.  However, Yamaha charges for $74.99 for S650/S670, but $99.99 for S970 now.  I wonder if this is a marketing driven pricing, or there is any difference between the two versions of the same pack.  Anyway, thanks for your clarification.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:55:28 PM by zionip »

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:57:08 PM »
Hi Paul --

No prob. We're all part of the family.

BTW, I doubt if the S650 pack is compatible with Genos. Yamaha's software treats SWX02 separately from the SWP50 family. (This goes back to YEP vs. YEM, too.)

A little OT, but I'd love to see the service manual for the S670 since it is a major refresh/update of the S650.

I have no life.  :D

-- pj
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:03:45 PM by pjd »

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
I have Free China pack for S950, it has 19 styles
Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/phh6wqurbua2ao8/China_Pack_S750S950.zip/file

The following users thanked this post: motifes, thomas750

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 10:31:46 PM »
Just play all the black notes!! ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
Hello Zionip and PJD,

The PSR S 650 maintenance manual is downloadable at:https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_psr-s650.pdf/download.html

The PSR S 670 maintenance manual is downloadable at: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_psr-s670_sm.pdf/download.html

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:34:34 AM by Jean-Pierre 33 »

Offline AlBags

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Just play all the black notes!! ;D

... and 1+5 chords!

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

Following the request for Phillipwanga, I found a China Yamaha Pack for Psr S 650 / S 750 downloadable at :
https://app.box.com/s/sfpqhm6qtx9u8cgbws5j3g8jiwoskvs5

To try on the Genos.

Best Regards

Offline AlBags

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »

Hi J-P

I'll try them on my Genos.

BR   Al

Offline AlBags

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
Report on the Chinese Pack loaded to Genos:
One cannot load the included .yep (sound files) without lots of bother. However, justinstalling the styles and trying out, some are great, and quite useful, not as traditional Chinese as you might imagine!
Many of the sounds are unpopulated in the L & R hand selections (as could be expected with no Chinese instruments loaded) so you need to save/useyour own. Same with a few of the Style sounds. You can fix this and save as a custom style, I suppose.
The midis run, again, you can populate the channels to try. What sounds that DO come up on the OTS buttons, Genos selects from its Legacy folder.
I suppose it's impossible to convert the .yep into an unlocked install file for the YEM
to be merged with other packs.

All in all ... Thanks for posting. Great fun to tinker with!

Al.

Al.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:48:28 PM by AlBags »

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »
AlBags,
You need to update Yem to version 2.5.2
.yep file can import to YEM

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline AlBags

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »

Thanks! I didn't try. I have latest version YEM.
 I thought I would have to have  an S-series instrument identifier to load a .yep

Cheers .. I'll see what happens.

Al.

Offline Singhifi

Re: chinese voices and styles download site for the S650 and Tyros 5
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 03:44:01 PM »
Hi

It seem I am unable to find the download site for for the old PSR S650 and Tyros 5 chinese voice expansion pack.  Anyone knows which site still has it available?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 11:37:01 PM »
YEP files were totally different to the files we now use in the YEM. You need to download the now Yamaha free packs to use in YEM. There are quite a few.