Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Styles/OTS/Multi Pads

chinese voices and styles

<< < (2/5) > >>

zionip:

--- Quote from: DrakeM on May 29, 2018, 01:26:10 PM ---Okay, spent a couples of hours surfing and I found the psr-s650 version of the Chinese pack. There are 20 styles in the pack. I don't know if this pack will install on my S950, but I will give it a try.

yea, Yamaha gave all the S950 packs away for free .. you just had to use a different email account for each pack and the password "freepack4me" (or something like that it was.)

I can upload the styles for you and you can see if you can change out the voices to default ones on your keyboard. I don't know what Chinese music is supposed to sound like and that is why I never tried to revoice these styles when I first acquired them.

--- End quote ---

Hi Drake,

The PSR-S650 version of the China pack should install properly on S950 without a doubt.

The China pack might have been free for S950, but not any more for later models.

The Chinese styles in the China pack depend on the Chinese instrument voices in the same pack to sound authentic.  Changing the voices to the default ones on the keyboard does not help - I already tried doing the same, but the styles sound totally not authentic without the included Chinese instrument voices, which now require purchase.

Thanks,
Paul

DrakeM:
Hi Paul,

Will Phillip be able to install the S650 pack into his Genos keyboard?

zionip:
Hi Drake,

I do not have the China pack for S650, so I am not 100% sure, but I guess it is not compatible with Genos.  For older Yamaha arranger keyboard model(s) such as Tyros5, Tyros4, S650S750/S950 etc, he can install this pack.  For newer arranger models such as S670/770/970/775/975/Genos, he cannot install this China pack for S650.

My experience with the China pack for S970 is that in order to install it on YEM, I had to add the keyboard with the S970 instrument information file on YEM.  Once the China pack was installed for S970 on YEM, then I had to add Genos instrument information file on YEM.  After that I was able to include the China pack in generating the Genos_PackInstallData.ppf (packs from Yamaha only) or Genos_PackInstallData.cpi (packs from Yamaha and 3rd parties).

The China pack for S970 is compatible with Genos because they both use SWP71 tone generator.  PSR-S650 probably uses SWP51 tone generator, and so the China pack for S650 is unlikely to be compatible with Genos.  This is the reason why Yamaha published the schedule of expansion pack conversion from Tyros5 (SWP51) to Genos (SWP71x2).

Thanks,
Paul

pjd:

--- Quote from: zionip on May 29, 2018, 10:16:29 PM ---The China pack for S970 is compatible with Genos because they both use SWP71 tone generator.  PSR-S650 probably uses SWP51 tone generator, and so the China pack for S650 is unlikely to be compatible with Genos.  This is the reason why Yamaha published the schedule of expansion pack conversion from Tyros5 (SWP51) to Genos (SWP71x2).

--- End quote ---

Hi folks --

The S650 uses Yamaha's SWX02 CPU which integrates the computer processor and tone generator on the same chip. The SWX02 tone generator is essentially a subset of the SWP51. Yamaha software treats SWX02 as independent from the SWP50 family.

The current mainstream tone generator is the SWP70 (not "71". Sorry, I don't mean to be a pedant.  :D ). Anything the SWP51L can do, the SWP70 can do better and is backward compatible with SWP51. No low-level conversion is required. That's why an S970 expansion pack often works on Genos. Conversion issues from T5 to Genos most likely involve other dimensions like Revo drums, differences in registration, new/additional waveforms, etc.

Hope this helps out -- pj

zionip:
Hi PJ,

Thanks for your detailed tone generator information.

I just found out the tone generator SWX02 from the S550 service manual - I do not have the S650 service manual.

Sorry, I made a typo SWP71 instead of SWP70 as you pointed out.

From your information, I can infer that the China pack for S650 is compatible with Genos.  However, Yamaha charges for $74.99 for S650/S670, but $99.99 for S970 now.  I wonder if this is a marketing driven pricing, or there is any difference between the two versions of the same pack.  Anyway, thanks for your clarification.

Thanks,
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version