Author Topic: Style Recommendation Wanted -- "I'll Be Seeing You"  (Read 1313 times)

Offline jdup

Style Recommendation Wanted -- "I'll Be Seeing You"
« on: April 12, 2023, 07:43:47 PM »
I am asking for your recommendation of what would be the best pre-set style for "I'll Be Seeing You", which is an old standard from the 30's and 40's. It was in a movie, and is probably considered a slow swing ballad. It is usually played with piano and strings. I play a Genos.

Thanks, in advance.

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline mikf

Re: Style Recommendation Wanted -- "I'll Be Seeing You"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »
It really depends on your personal preference on how you want it to sound. This song has been done millions of times, and can be interpreted in many ways, there is no right wrong or best, just preference. Any slow ballad style will work once you set the tempo, eg  swing ballad styles, Midnight Swing, big band ballads. I even like the 6/8 soul styles for this kind of slow ballad.
The best thing is for you to learn how to find and try styles for yourself rather than ask for recommendations. This will set you up better for the future.
Try doing this : tap in the tempo you think you would like to play this at. Select a ballad style from the swing or big band set on the keyboard. Play the first  couple of chords of the tune while you hum the tune in your head. Then do the same with a different style, but at the tempo you have selected. Try several until you find a few possibilities, and pick the one you like best. Sometimes the unexpected styles work great when slowed to the the desired tempo. This is the way we all find styles.
BTW, this is a very well known standard, performed by many people but is probably best known for being Liberace's  theme song. He ended his shows singing it.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:22:19 PM »
I've attached 2 styles for you to try, Jim. :)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahyvu8brH-fUgYkHE9MFX06fiRbDPA?e=tCT2J4
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, DaveD, juketsu, pethep, wersianer, Roshure

Offline jdup

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 11:11:09 AM »
Thank you, Mike, and thank you, Roger.

I am grateful.

Jim
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770