Author Topic: UpperOctave & Choir Pack  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Keyboardister

UpperOctave & Choir Pack
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
I just got my Genos a week ago and it's a big step from the T5, takes some learning :)

I still have a few questions: Is it possible to see the UpperOctave value on screen? I cant seem to be able to assign it anywhere
so I never really know whether it's on or off.

As for the choir pack, there's an "Adiemus" style named 90snewage something, and there's a particular voice on OTS3 that is supposed to make the AHH OOH AHH sounds on the chorus with the
modulation wheel, it worked great with the T5 cuz u could just leave the wheel up and then pull it down whenever u need this effect but with the joystick its not possible to do that unless Yamaha
changes the voice so that it will do the AHHH sound. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? thanks!
Genos

Offline EileenL

Re: UpperOctave & Choir Pack
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »
Use Joy Stick hold button Raise up for Ahh and press hold. It will now produce the Ahh sound. When you want the Ooh voice release button.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
You can assign the function of the mod wheel (control change 1) to a slider. This will give you back, what you had before,
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
In addition to voodoo's suggestion, you can also assign the function 'Modulation (+), (-) Alt' to either a foot pedal, an Assignable Button, or the 'Rotary SP/Assignable' panel button.

The 'Modulation (+), (-) Alt' function switches between the max. and min. settings of the Modulation wheel (joystick) with each momentary press of the pedal or button.  This gives less control than using the joystick (or slider) but will produce the 'Huh' or 'Hah' variants of the 'HuhHahMW' and similar voices in the same way as moving the Modulation wheel or joystick from min. to max.

Regards

Ian

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
oh wow! thank you guys!!! I'm gonna try it!! thanks again!!

Does anyone have an idea regarding the upperoctave value? I cant seem to know what the upperoctave is set to...
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »
If you press the two upper octave buttons together this will set it to normal.

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
Eileen, if I press both of them it resets the value to 0 and yes, it does show it on screen but  I wont be able to see the previous value
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 11:32:18 PM »
Eileen, if I press both of them it resets the value to 0 and yes, it does show it on screen but  I wont be able to see the previous value

You can configure your Genos home screen to show Transpose in one of its Home Shortcut windows ( Menu - Menu 1 - Assignable ).
I configured the Home Shortcut 6 to Transpose as shown here (home shortcut 6 was Demo by default, which is a good candidate for the much more important function Transpose):

The lowest rightmost Home Shortcut window of my Genos home screen shows the value of current transpose being 1 (when there is no transpose, it shows no digit, when you transpose by +1, it shows 1, when you transpose by -1, it shows -1 etc.):

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:11:34 AM by zionip »

keynote

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »
As Paul has shown you can assign the transpose to the main display. But there is no way to retain the specific Octave setting on the LCD screen once the pop-up display disappears. Yamaha could provide a fix via an OS update and hopefully they will. OS 1.40 is in the works as we speak no doubt and I look forward to the next release.  8)

Mike

Offline browzer

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
You can configure your Genos home screen to show Transpose in one of its Home Shortcut windows ( Menu - Menu 1 - Assignable ).

Paul,

The Octave shift is totally independent of the transpose setting, and in my opinion it should be shown in the HOME screen as it was in the top left corner of the T5 main screen.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:47:17 AM by browzer »
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 03:03:17 AM »
Paul,

The Octave shift is totally independent of the transpose setting, and in my opinion it should be shown in the HOME screen as it was in the top left corner of the T5 main screen.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

You're right.  I misread the Octave shift as Transpose.  The Octave shift value should be shown on the Genos Home screen as you suggested.

The Octave shift, once activated, the value can be found on the first page of Voice Setting:

We can either press "Direct Access" then either of the Octave shift keys to access the above, or we can configure "Voice Setting" as a Home Shortcut as I showed before:

Thanks,
Paul

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 04:30:32 AM »
You're right.  I misread the Octave shift as Transpose.  The Octave shift value should be shown on the Genos Home screen as you suggested.

The OP is actually referring to the 'UPPER OCTAVE' setting, not the Voice Octave or the Transpose!  This was shown on the 'MAIN' screen on earlier models.

It looks to me like yet another example of Yamaha's shoddy programming when converting the OS to use the touch screen!   :'(

I suspect that once aware of the fact that it is missing, they will include it in the next firmware update, but they will not release an update just for this, so I don't know how long users will have to wait!

It might be worth someone contacting Yamaha about this just in case they haven't spotted it themselves yet!  ::)

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:40:15 AM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline browzer

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:21 AM »

We can either press "Direct Access" then either of the Octave shift keys to access the above, or we can configure "Voice Setting" as a Home Shortcut as I showed before:

Paul,

you have misread it again, the Voice Setting page shows only the octave settings of the individual voices and not the setting of the UPPER OCTAVE buttons (directly below the Main Volume knob)

Ronnie

Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Paul,

you have misread it again, the Voice Setting page shows only the octave settings of the individual voices and not the setting of the UPPER OCTAVE buttons (directly below the Main Volume knob)

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for explaining.

I actually pressed the "Direct Access" button followed by either of the Upper Octave buttons, and the resulting screen is the first page of Voice Setting, which showed octave values of individual voices, but did not provide any current Upper Octave value.  So the current Genos firmware 1.30 not only does not provide any screen or shortcut reporting current Upper Octave value, the screen associated with "Direct Access" and the "Upper Octave" buttons is also wrong. 

Without knowing the current Upper Octave value, the workaround is to press both Upper Octave buttons to reset to value 0 for no Upper Octave shift, then press either the "Upper Octave +" button to shift 1 octave up, or the "Upper Octave -" button to shift 1 octave down.

Thanks,
Paul