Author Topic: Turning Insertion effect (DSP) on / off via MIDI?  (Read 7796 times)

Offline jimlaing

Turning Insertion effect (DSP) on / off via MIDI?
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
I am trying to find out from the Data List, what the MIDI command is to "turn off" the DSP insertion effect on a given voice.  I notice that some insertion effects allow you to set "Depth" (including zero), which others, "Depth" is greyed out (on Genos).  Example is some of the guitar distortion effects ... it seems you an turn the effect on or off via the touch screen, no problem.  I'd like to be able to do it via sending a MIDI command to the Genos.

I have looked through the Data List and can't find this exact function.  I have put a note in to Yamaha to ask too, but thought i'd ask here in case anyone knows how to do this ...

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline MBedesem

Re: Turning Insertion effect (DSP) on / off via MIDI?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:19:58 AM »
Jim:

MixMaster ( http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html) allows you enter a midi commands to turn DSR 1 on/off or to program the DSP 1+.

The attached shows the settings for On-Off DSP1 in List View. The commands are entered via the Insert PSR ControlCmd  menu item.

Regards,

Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:47:33 AM by MBedesem »
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:50:17 AM »
I was hoping to have a external keyboard, an M-Audio Code49 keyboard, send the command I want (to turn a DSP on or off) by programming a button on the M-Audio keyboard to send the needed MIDI command.  Since the keyboard is limited to things like Note On/Off, CC, Pgm # (MSB/LSB/PC), and RPN/NRPN, I'm not sure if I can get this M-Audio keyboard to send the MIDI command string needed . . . .

Maybe I can assign a button on the Genos itself to do this (I need to look through the list of things an assignable button can do!)

Thanks,
Jim

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
I don't have a Code 49, but I do have an M-Audio controller-- an Axiom 61-II. I'll have to take another look at the documentation to be sure, but I thought it could send SysEx messages. And if the Axiom models can, I would think that the Code models can, too. If that's the case, I think you may be able to set the DSP Insertion Effect Type from the controller, including setting it to pass-through (no effect). Otherwise, I think you should be able to turn the DSP Depth all the way down to 0 on the channels using CC messages.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
I took a quick look at the user manual for the Code 49, and it seems the only SysEx it can send or receive is for doing a bulk dump or bulk load of its setup, so that is no help.

But you can send CC messages, so I'll look at the Genos documentation to see if I can help figure that out.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »
Hi Jim --

Coincidentally, I'm learning how to use the DSP insertion effects for MIDI song sequencing.

Insertion effects 1 to 20 are controlled by the XG EFFECT2 parameters listed on pages 102-103 of the Data List PDF. Two SysEx messages are needed. One message to select the effect, e.g., US Combo Rich Clean:

F0 43 10 4C 03 00 00 63 21 F7

and one message to assign a song part number to the insertion effects, e.g., DSP 1, Insertion Part Number 7:

F0 43 10 4C 03 00 0C 06 F7   

These changes are reflected in the DSP effect assignment dialog message accessible through the user interface.

The Insertion Effect Part Number message uses the value 127 (0x7F) to specify OFF, e.g.,

F0 43 10 4C 03 00 0C 7F F7

Hope this helps with your configuration needs.

All the best -- pj

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 05:16:19 AM »
Thanks - looks like the info I'd need.  Now I just have to see if the M-Audio Code49 keyboard can send it (not sure it can).  Thanks!  -Jim

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 05:41:39 AM »
Maybe I can assign a button on the Genos itself to do this (I need to look through the list of things an assignable button can do!)

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, why not simply use a couple of registration buttons? One to turn the Send down to 1 (or change it to Thru)  the other to re-establish the original settings?

John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:43:54 AM by jwyvern »

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 06:11:23 AM »
I want to be able to change this (turn it off/on) independent of my ~500+ registrations.  I am using a Code49 (M-Audio) keyboard, and with it, I have set up 36 buttons to call up various sounds "on the fly" (in addition to what I do with Registrations) - and sometimes, I need to disable the DSP on RIGHT3 (which is what I use with the MIDI keyboard).

I already do what you describe with Registrations, to have effects on/off as needed - what I want to do is control it "in real time" no matter where I am re: my current registration bank . . . hope this makes sense!

Jim

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
The M-Audio Axiom models can apparently send SysEx, although I've never tried to use it and the documentation for my model (Axiom 61-II) seems to be sparse on information about how to do this-- the documentation for an older model appears to say that it has an "XG" mode(!).

The Code models don't seem to send SysEx, other than for doing bulk dumps and bulk loads of the Code's saved setups.

I was thinking that you might be able to "turn down" the effect rather than switch it off completely, but I'm not sure which CC you would use. I was thinking it may be the DSP effect depth, as it's my understanding that the DSP can be set to system mode (so the selected effect type applies to all channels like the reverb type and chorus type do), or set to insertion mode (in which case I guess it applies to only one channel?-- I don't have any keyboards where this is available, so I'm not very knowledgeable about it).

You could try using that CC (DSP effect depth) to see if it works, but if it doesn't then I'm not sure what to suggest next-- other than getting a different MIDI controller that can send SysEx.

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »
I was thinking that you might be able to "turn down" the effect rather than switch it off completely, but I'm not sure which CC you would use.

Hi Michael and Jim --

It depends on the DSP unit to which the effect is assigned. There are CCs to control send level to the system effects: reverb, chorus and variation. These are the so-called XG EFFECT1 units.

The other DSP units are the XG EFFECT2 units. Because EFFECT2 units are all insert, the send is fixed at 127 with no CC or NRPN. I believ the only way to change an EFFECT2 DSP is via SysEx. I'd like to be mistaken about this one.  :o It sure would be handy. I think the only way to tweak the wet/dry balance is via SysEx, too, if the DSP algorithm supports it.

All the best -- pj