Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

Search for a Keyboard, Part IV

(1/3) > >>

Jay B.:
Hello Yamaha Arranger / Workstation Users + Fans,

So after a lot of consideration, thinking, trying different things out, reading a lot of "PSR Tutorial" posts, opinions (some brilliant, some pathetic), I made a decision. I purchased a PSR-S970!! I got a very good price on a new unit - Yamaha lowered it to ~$1800, Amazon gave me a 10% off coupon for the 970 + accessories, and I get an extra 10% off that for putting it on an Amazon CC. I have been playing it and playing around with it for 3 weeks now. It has great sounds, I have gotten used to the keybed, and am beginning to learn how arrangers work.

I have thought seriously about a TOTL arranger and spent time comparing the Korg Pa4x vs Genos. I also compared the PA1000 vs the s975 vs the s970 vs Roland, etc. I read many opinions and reviewed hours upon hours of YT videos to arrive at this place. I have always favored Yamaha's sound over Korg and continue to do so. Truth be told, up until today I was still considering a Genos, but decided to keep the 970. Here's why:

* I have been out of music for so long I need to I have to start from the beginning with new keyboard OS
* Spending time recovering my playing is as important learning the tech
* I can definitely hear the difference in the Genos, even though I have only heard it on YT, but the 970 still sounds superior to my old keyboards
* Genos requires 3-4X the investment of the 970 at this time
* There is more to learn about the 970 - I have only scratched the surface
* S970 is self-contained for practice, very versatile, good enough to play on a gig (IMO)
* While I miss having 76-88 keys sometimes, 61 keys is an acceptable compromise at this point.It is time to continue developing playing, learn the instrument, learn how to use its capabilities, set up a casual concert, gig or two, and most of all, have fun. I'm sure I will be annoying everyone here asking questions, etc. Thank you to all that helped me with this!!

Jay B.

EB5AGV:
Congratulations to have arrived to a buying decision and being happy with it!

I am on a similar process right now, but some notches below your level. I am considering the PSR-S670, so I joined this Forum.

Now It is time for me to read and learn  :D

BTW, I have just found that you started with a SY77. I did also... but just some months ago!. And I keep it along a DGX660 I bought later. Now I look for a more portable keyboard  ;)

Regards,

Jose

Toril S:
Congratulations! Wise desicion! We are many with the S970 here😀

panos:
If you like the keyboard after 3 weeks you are playing with it , then it seems that you have made the right choise for your needs and budget,Jay B .
So there will not be a "Search for a Keyboard, Part V" ;D

Wellcome to the forum Jose. :)

Denn:
Hello Jose, for my opinion the PSR S970 is the same as a Tyros5 except for only having two voices instead of three which is not really a problem. Advantage over the T5 is that it is self-contained, plug and play; easy to carry and is still open ended where you can load lots of extra styles and voices. As for "better sounds" - sounds, like taste and colors are a personal thing. Plug in the B & O A9 speaker system and everyone will drool. I have a T4 and a PSR S770 and, like I have said before, if someone wanted my T4 they would have to prise it out of my cold dead fingers!! The S970 is probably the best value for money.
Now you have to get two large bins, one on either side of you for when you tear your hair out on your learning curve.  ;D
Regards, Denn. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version