Author Topic: create user arps  (Read 7258 times)

Atlanta Tom

create user arps
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:13:12 PM »
I searched this forum and google but couldn't find anything directly related to being able to create user arps for Genos.  Although the arps are similar (IMO) to multipads, they can be more complex since they can be programmed with Megavoices.  The Montage has something like 10,000 arps (you can download the data list from Yamaha to see them all) and also allows for the creation of user arps.  I actually had a Montage and sold it in order to buy the Genos.    The Genos better fits my user needs than the Montage, which for me had a very steep learning curve and IMO is geared more for those who like to program and tweak voices.  However I was impressed with the number and quality of the arps as well as the ability and ease of creating user arps.  I find the arps in the Genos being very limited in number.

Offline Joe H

Re: create user arps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
We will have too see if Yamaha will add an arp editor similar to the Motif XF and Montage. I find it odd that there are so few arps on the Genos. The  least Yamaha could do is offer an update with more arps... if not an arp editor.

You are correct about the Multi Pads. MPs are recorded arps but are fixed notes (sequenced patterns) and do not follow our right hand in the same way a real arpeggiator does.  I haven't tried this yet... but we could make new Multi Pads from the existing arps and create variations using the Arp Gate Time (real-time) to make some of the arp notes longer or shorter while recording this to the on-board sequencer.  Once saved as a MIDI file, we can then convert the MIDI to a Multi Pad using PadMaker-Midi which is a free program found here on the Main PSR Tutorial site

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/padmakermidi.html

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:48:13 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

keynote

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:48 PM »
Unfortunately you cannot create user arpeggios for the Genos. When the Montage was first released I believe at that time there was also no way to create user arpeggios either. From my understanding Yamaha added the ability to create user arpeggios for the Montage via an OS update. I agree that the arpeggios on the Genos are very limited in number with less than optimal implementation. Since Yamaha is trying to market the Genos to a younger generation you would think they would have jumped on the opportunity to provide a much larger number of arpeggios plus better implementation with the ability to create your own arpeggios. There is a possibility that Yamaha may decide to give users the ability to create their own arpeggios via an OS update like they did with the Montage but don't hold your breath. It seems Yamaha is more focused on fixing software bugs than they are about adding new features and functions but we shall see.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:43:46 PM by keynote »

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:27:23 AM »
Create user arps?

Let them start with an option to load and save arps from other yamaha instruments.. 
i am okay with having to use a Motif to create arps
But i would love to be able to load them into the Genos..
Genos has such an incredible file structure for loading styles/multipads and what not
So why not use that same filestructure to load arps directly from usb and more..

Another thing about arps, it feels to me like the arpeggio hold and quantize settings are global parameters according to the datalist... these parameters should be part of the performance and you should be able to save them in a performance...
Its also strange that these 2 parameters are under voice settings / super art2/arpeggio tab... and not in the arpeggio settings window..  i have clue why these are system/global setting?  Thats highly illogical from the way people want to use arps.
This is something that should be improved trough an update to...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
... it feels to me like the arpeggio hold and quantize settings are global parameters according to the datalist... these parameters should be part of the performance and you should be able to save them in a performance... This is something that should be improved trough an update to...

Bachus,

On the S970 we can assign the Arp Hold to foot pedal (foot switch) 2.  This works very well for me, but I think you are saying that it should be saved with the Voice settings... like the Voice Set parameters... is that correct?

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Bachus

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
Bachus,

On the S970 we can assign the Arp Hold to foot pedal (foot switch) 2.  This works very well for me, but I think you are saying that it should be saved with the Voice settings... like the Voice Set parameters... is that correct?

Joe H

Yes... or even a special arp/harmony tab in the registrations...
Dont you think it would be important to save this setting in a registration?

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
Yes... or even a special arp/harmony tab in the registrations...
Don't you think it would be important to save this setting in a registration?

I think Yamaha moved the Arp parameters of the S970 from Global to Performance because that was a suggestion I made to Yamaha last year.  (to save them in registrations) But having The Arp Hold as a Global parameter allows us to have Arp Hold assigned to a foot switch that can be used with any Voice we want.  When I use Arp Hold, I like to turn it on and off as I play.  It's a different feel and sometimes it makes a difference in how I play the arp. If it is On all of the time, then I loose a nuance of playing the arp intermittently. (stopping or truncating the arp loop at will) Which is part of the expression of playing arps in the first place.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:27:44 AM by Joe H »

Tankdave

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
Yes please, more Arps are what I would like too Mr Yamaha, it will improve EDM on Genos. "if you are listening"

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:42:37 AM »
I think Yamaha moved the Arp parameters of the S970 from Global to Performance because that was a suggestion I made to Yamaha last year.  (to save them in registrations) But having The Arp Hold as a Global parameter allows us to have Arp Hold assigned to a foot switch that can be used with any Voice we want.  When I use Arp Hold, I like to turn it on and off as I play.  It's a different feel and sometimes it makes a difference in how I play the arp. If it is On all of the time, then I loose a nuance of playing the arp intermittently. (stopping or truncating the arp loop at will) Which is part of the expression of playing arps in the first place.

Joe H

I will have to try that...

I allways treated it more like a static switch..
When Its ON, it works more like an extra arranger trak, looping the arp comtinously..
And when its OFF it makes the arpeggio only sound and retrigger when i pllay the keys
(There is also sync-off and while in that mode the arps plays as a loop continously, playing a note makes the arp sound)

I choose a mode based on what i want to archieve...
For the right hand thats mostly OFF, making it to me a more musicall tune

So again, i learned something..and will be trying to controll this parameter by foot.. making it more dynamic.    So in Genos, we keep the standard parameter in the OFF position... and when playing with arps, we assign ARP Hold ONN to a footswitch...  sounds like and idea i can live with

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:14 AM »
I wish Yamaha would also allow us to assign Live Control parameters to the sweep foot pedal.  I would love to do that just I like I can with the
Motif Rack XS. (I have to do that with my trusty PC1600x MIDI controller).   The Arp Gate Time is particularly useful to vary real-time with a foot pedal.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
I wish Yamaha would also allow us to assign Live Control parameters to the sweep foot pedal.  I would love to do that just I like I can with the
Motif Rack XS. (I have to do that with my trusty PC1600x MIDI controller).   The Arp Gate Time is particularly useful to vary real-time with a foot pedal.

Joe H

There is so few parameters assignable in the Genos..
Not just limitations assigning to the footpedals
But also live controll, is still kind of limited where it comes to parameters..

I would love to be able to assign any internal parameter and every midi cc to any slider, knob, pedal, joystick..

The number of pedals, knobs, sliders and buttons to which you can assign things is incredible..
The number of parameters is still very much to limited..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:04 AM »
There is so few parameters assignable in the Genos..
Not just limitations assigning to the footpedals
But also live controll, is still kind of limited where it comes to parameters..

I would love to be able to assign any internal parameter and every midi cc to any slider, knob, pedal, joystick..

The number of pedals, knobs, sliders and buttons to which you can assign things is incredible..
The number of parameters is still very much to limited..

I totally agree. 

Again... I think it is the mind set of Yamaha arranger designers/engineers that arranger players aren't interested in such things.  While they provide a Data List Book with system exclusive formats (which very few people use), they should add the Live Control and arpeggiator parameters to the Data List.  They are there for the Motif and that is how I could program my hardware MIDI controller to give some additional control over the Motif Rack which is lacking many of the Panel Controls found on the Motif Keyboard.

With my Peavey controller I have created fader assignments for Arp Gate Time, Attack, Decay, Release, Filter Cut-off, Resonance, Volume, Pan, etc.  Also buttons for Arp Hold and Arp on/off.  I bought the controller back in the 1990s to do the same remote control of my XG and GS sound modules. I have assigned a foot pedal as Master Fader for several of these parameters set with predefined minimum / maximum values.  We should be able to use the Genos Live Control to do the same functions.  Yamaha has missed the mark upgrading Live Control for the Genos.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:16:55 AM by Joe H »