Author Topic: Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM) loading a registration  (Read 4837 times)

Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM) loading a registration
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:48:52 PM »
Hi all. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question.

To load a registration into Murray’s great program (thanks Murray!), I currently download all my registrations from the Genos to a USB drive>Save them to a folder in my PC>Open the YRM>Import the target registration into the YRM>perform my edits, and then do the reverse when I'm finished.

Can we load a registration directly to and from the Genos into the YRM and save that registration without going through all the extra steps with the USB stick? I can’t find anywhere in the manual that says we can. My Genos does not show up as a USB device on my PC. My start up procedure is: Connect the Genos to my PC with the USB cable>power up the Genos>start the YRM. Note The Genos is connected directly to a USB port on my PC, not through a hub. My Genos shows up perfectly in Cubase, so the USB drivers work fine.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:51:08 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline zionip

Re: Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM) loading a registration
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
You can access Genos in USB storage mode for transfers of wave files and song files.  Once you can access Genos User Drive through USB storage mode, you can test whether you can directly modify the registrations through YRM.

P. 153 of Genos Reference Manual (version D) describes the procedure:

Accessing the User Drive of Genos from the Computer (USB Storage Mode)

When the instrument is in the USB Storage Mode, Wave files and Song files can be transferred between the User drive
of Genos and the computer. When the instrument is NOT in the USB Storage Mode, the USB connection can be used
for MIDI control. The USB interface does not directly handle audio signals.
1 Turn the computer’s power on.
2 Turn the Genos’s power on while holding the [PLAYLIST] button to enter the USB Storage Mode.
The SIGNAL lamp on the panel flashes in green while in the USB Storage Mode.
3 Manage files/folders in the User drive of Genos by using the computer.
4 To exit the USB Storage Mode, turn the power of Genos off.

Download link of Genos Reference Manual version D:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1131007/genos_en_rm_d0.pdf

Thanks,
Paul

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:00:01 AM »
Thanks, Paul! I thought there must be a way :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:33:11 AM »
It works. When the Genos is placed in USB mode, it shows as the H:\ drive on my PC.

I did a test modification to one of my registrations. I changed the piano from CFX Concert Grand to CFX Stage Piano, and then saved it. I powered off my Genos and turned it back on again. When I opened the registration, the piano was changed to the CFX Stage Piano, but the Velocity was 0. I turned it up, but still had no sound. I don't know what I did wrong. The only way to fix it was to choose another piano, and then re-choose the CFX Stage Piano - but that defeats the purpose of using the YRM.

I also wanted to adjust the mixer velocities for Rhythms 1 and 2. You can display the mixer velocities, but you can't alter them.

Offline murrayb

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
Lee:

Could you save a voice change via YRM as you stated, and then save the revised voice in a separate button - send me the registration so that I can see why the setting wasn't made by the program.

Each voice has about 45 settings, and Genos added a few new ones.  One of the new settings could be the problem.

Regards,

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
Okay, thanks Murray. I'm packed for a few gigs but will tend to that ASAP. Love your program!! Is the program open source? The windows and command buttons appear much like MS Access screens, guided by VBA. Am I close?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:59:55 PM by Lee Batchelor »