Author Topic: Linking Multi Pads with Styles  (Read 4451 times)

Gordon1949

Linking Multi Pads with Styles
« on: May 13, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
I set up each Registration with a different Voice so that I can change sounds while maintaining the Style, ACMP, and/or left-hand bass, but the Multi Pad does not follow the Style.  Instead, the Multi Pad reverts back to a preset Cymbal&Chimes1. 

I link Multi Pads to Styles, but whether I check the boxes for Multi Pad and Styles on the Memory and Registration Freeze screens or not, the Multi Pad does not stay with the Style when I change Registrations.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Gordon1949

Re: Linking Multi Pads with Styles
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »
I think I partially solved my own problem.  Even though the Multi Pad will change if you change a Registration, if you keep the Style going, the Multi Pad will stay on the setting you had it on when the Style started playing.  Of course if you stop the style, you will lose the original Multi Pad you started with.  Not really the full solution for a keyboard this expensive, but I hope Yamaha will fix this with a firmware update.  I will contact Yamaha to recommend they fix this problem.

Gordon1949

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 04:04:30 AM »
My apologies!  I figured out that I had to have both Styles and Multi Pads checked on both the Registration Freeze screen and the Memory Screen and NOT touch the One Touch buttons.  In that way, the Multi Pads DO follow the Style. Oh well, live and learn.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »
Take a look at my article on Multi Pads.  It is focused on dance music but the principles are the same for all genre of music.  there is a way to stop a Multi Pad with each registration by using a file called Pad Stopper. I explain how to use this file. Pad Stopper is included in the download as well as demo registrations.

Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs: http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:48:36 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
Hi Gordon,
I don't use MPads much but have just checked the freeze on my Genos and find it works correctly. The  MP selection will stay in place and does not need style to be ticked as well for the freeze to work.

Interestingly, I had recently found that right hand voices fail to freeze unless you also check style on my Genos which is "wrong".
We should be able to freeze all voices while the style is changed by the registration if we wish (as with Tyros), not to have to freeze the style as well.....
I haven't contacted Yamaha yet since it is not a hindrance to me at present, but intend to.
John
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:10:05 AM by jwyvern »

Gordon1949

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
Thanks jwyvern and Joe H.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
Interestingly, I had recently found that right hand voices fail to freeze unless you also check style on my Genos which is "wrong".
We should be able to freeze all voices while the style is changed by the registration if we wish (as with Tyros), not to have to freeze the style as well.....

John,

This is incorrect. Checking Voice in Registration Freeze will stop a registration from changing any right voice whenever the Freeze button is on.

However, to freeze a Left Voice, you must check Style, because left voice is part of the Style group.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons