Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 3320 times)

Atlanta Tom

Newbie question
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
I just got my Genos and used to have a Tyros years ago.  One of the features I used was P.A.T. (Performance Assistance Technology) and this seems to be missing from the Genos.  Is there a similar feature?  I guess they want the Genos to be more of a "pro" instrument and this is for those of us who aren't don't have the greatest chops.  (My main thing is composing and arranging.)
Thanks for any info.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
I just got my Genos and used to have a Tyros years ago.  One of the features I used was P.A.T. (Performance Assistance Technology) and this seems to be missing from the Genos.  Is there a similar feature?  I guess they want the Genos to be more of a "pro" instrument and this is for those of us who aren't don't have the greatest chops.  (My main thing is composing and arranging.)
Thanks for any info.

I remember the feature from the Tyros (although I never used it), but don't see it on my Genos. I expect the reason they removed it was just that -- it wasn't used very much. It's not a comment on who Yamaha expects to play their keyboards -- they are quite happy for anyone to buy them.

To see what options are available, go to Menu>Song Settings>Guide>On, then choose the Type you want. "Your Tempo" is probably closest to PAT.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
You may want to check, there might be an app that you can load on your computer, phone or iPad that allows you to connect to Genos and provide the functionality you are looking for.

I am almost sure there is an app for that.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:45 AM »
What PAT allowed you to do was to play any notes on the keyboard not nessasarily in the same key along with a style or recorded song. It would then translate those keys you pressed into the key the song was in. It worked well if you wanted a simple counter melody but It was never really that popular.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
What PAT allowed you to do was to play any notes on the keyboard not nessasarily in the same key along with a style or recorded song. It would then translate those keys you pressed into the key the song was in. It worked well if you wanted a simple counter melody but It was never really that popular.

Thanks Eileen for the explanation, I finally understood what PAT was, no wonder YAMAHA discontinued it.

Cheers

Kaarlo