Author Topic: Midi to audio using Genos in Cubase  (Read 6569 times)

Offline ugawoga

Midi to audio using Genos in Cubase
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
Hi

Is it possible when you export a midi file that you have made Into Cubase from the Genos after editing to record all the midi tracks to separate audio tracks in one go.
So If I have 5 midi tracks for example can i record them all at once to five separate audio tracks. This would be for final editing before a bounce down.
I can do one track at a time, but that would take an age to to.
Still getting my head around cubase ,but so far so good.

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline PierreSW

Re: Midi to audio using Genos in Cubase
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »
Hey!
Get a ZOOM R24 and connect with CUBASE see youtubefile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcbMru2rVE

See the Genos manual how to transmit from different channels.
genos_en_rm_d0 page. 153

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
Hi Pierre

I do not want to get a zoom really but looking at loads of videos on the subject It seems the only way to do this is midi from virtual Instruments.
It does look like I will have to record one track at a time unless I can route midi tracks to separate unused busses.
By the time you have routed to busses , you could have a few tracks recorded anyway
A sticky wicket this one.
Thanks for the suggestion.

All the best
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Pino

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
John
I’ve followed your posts here,

I have been in midi for many years and have Cubase and many more and a Zoom R16.

Midi has to be so simple, you have your midi information on screen where you can edit everything.

You have recorded 5 tracks in Genos and transferred to Cubase
Now you can edit everything, copy and paste as you wish until you have amazing sounding tracks,   then mix down to WAV

Why the need for separate audio tracks?
You already have separate midi tracks,

I’m sure you have looked at all the utube vids
This video series is easy to follow. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQHHQUfkubs

Pino

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:25:21 PM by Pino »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Quoting Pino,
"Why the need for separate audio tracks?
You already have separate midi tracks,"

Yes I have often thought that. If you have a series of live instruments it would be natural to record them as separate audio tracks. But our keyboards don't really have audio outputs aimed at multiple recording. Just 4x measly mono outputs which are also limited in their ability to accommodate effects.
But since keyboards "are" naturally capable of outputting full sets of midi outputs, what is wrong with manipulating these until they sound right, then record that right sounding performance to final Audio?
Would the midi methods be technically inferior to the audio methods or are  the latter preferred mainly through custom and practice?
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Hi Pino and John

I would have thought that you have more control with eq and effects if all midi tracks were converted to Wave or audio tracks all separately. People do It with drum hits to make up drum track, but that probably comes from a vst drum module though Instead of a midi module.Then render.
With audo tracks you have everything In Cubase to use.
I was just asking can you record for example 5 Genos  midi  tracks  1234 and 5  to 5  audio tracks mainly for final editing.
If you could highlight all midi tracks 1 to 16 and print all tracks to audio in one go It would be nice. That would cut time down to a minimum and stop you getting bored going back and forward on each track.
I think It would be much better to finalize all In Cubase and record all down to a stereo wave file to finish. Quicker than messing around with the Genos, but I do like messing around with the Genos really.

For Pino 's answer   ---Yes you can edit all your midi and make a final song straight from the Genos, that's great.
If you had all those midi tracks converted to wave, then you have an arsenal of Cubase effects and eq's etc at your disposal plus the advantage of using vst's as well.
Also with wave files on each track you would not get those midi glitches when going back and forth editing. Sometimes you get a different instrument sound until you go back to the beginning or just before a program change . This happens when you make a song using registrations and all lead Instruments are on midi channel 1.
I think that converting your midi tracks to waves would be an advantage. I like to play a song in one go and do minor edits ,but now I am thinking of doing some of my own music and building tracks up separately also combining vst.
At the moment I have to get furthur along the line studying Cubase after Cakewalk pulled the plug .Now they are giving It away for free.
I am really getting to like Cubase.The Genos Is perfect with It,or nearly.

All the best
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:09:57 PM by ugawoga »

Pino

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
I think you must be a perfectionist.

To me, good chord structure and musical content is better than spending hours trying to get a 0.5% better recording
Listen to bands if the 60s, they did not have all the fancy FX and software of today.
Yet their recordings sound remarkably good.

I used to spend 1000s of hours on midi and pc’s
Then I realised, to be a good musician I need to spend my time playing.

When someone asked me to play something, I don’t need to look for a midi file
I just play it, piano or using the wonderful Yamaha styles, and that’s a good feeling.

Just my 2 cents,

Pino

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
Hi Pino
I do practice a lot and play songs through, but I would like to learn more on the mixing side as well.
I do not use  commercial midi files, but may extract some things from them to make a pads
You must admit It would be great to improve as much as you can.
I do not play out and I do everything from home In the mancave 8)
Practice and playing is a must but when coming to building a song all that comes in handy.
I know some people just cut and paste everything, like this edm stuff, but It is easier to make the lego bricks yourself.
With me I am getting my head around mixing as well and Cubase has a bucket load of things to learn. :P
Well I did Barry Manilow's  Bermuda Triangle  and I am happy the way I played it. The thing to me looking at it was that the piano did not quite sound right to me and I wanted It to be more richer sounding, so I thought about splitting the tracks up to separate wave files and then I could work on the piano and experiment.
This song I wanted to pull apart and criticise it to the maximum and keep working on it until big happy. With the mixing side It can get frustrating and as a lot of people say, It takes a long time to get there and experience is key. So I am learning hopefully. Maybe it is me and my ears, but all I am doing Is having a go.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:48:28 PM by ugawoga »

Pino

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
Learning new tricks is very slow and sometimes very frustrating.
You have done well to get this far in a short time.

Midi is very important to us arranger keyboard players, everything we play is midi based
The more you know about midi the better, I enjoy making song styles, that’s my hobby,

Why don’t you set up a challenge for yourself, you already have all the equipment,

Pick a nice quality restaurant in your area and start to play some gigs there 2 or 3 nights a week
That’s what you have been striving for all your life isn’t it?
Learn 30+ songs, maybe just do one hour and repeat (45 mins+15 break) to start with,
customers generally eat and leave after 60 minutes unless there is a dance floor.

If you pull it off then you will feel a million dollars.

Good luck

Pino.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Hi Pino
It is quite the opposite now as when I was seventeen, I went Into Hostpital Radio and at age of twenty one ran my own Disco for fourteen  years.
I was going abroad after passing auditions in london but after researching about the pitfuls I decided not to go.
In the showbusiness world It is all about sliding doors and which path you take.
There are too many nice boys in showbusiness and that put me right off!! ;D
I decided to buy a keyboard and settle down to a normal life.
Did my apprentaship In British Rail and did few years In Garrards as an Inspector of record parts.(remember those brilliant turntables) and finished up twenty eight years In Austin Rover /BMW as a Fitter. That was a jail sentance!! ;D ::). The money was good though.
At 67 now I would rather stay In my little studio and start making my own music.
Playing out I have thought about ,but I have done enough entertaining In the younger days and now just want have fun.
More cruises and a bit of travelling is on the cards now. MUST GET OUT MORE OFTEN!! ;D

Still want to learn this mixing lark !! ::) :-X.

All the best

Look at me now "A  has been rock Star"!! !! :) ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:43:27 AM by ugawoga »

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
Hi!
Watch this video, Midi to Audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAYineIQLk

Greetings Pierre

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
Hi pierre
It seems to me watching videos that this is about vst midi, not about external keyboard sounds.
With vst midi it can be channelled to separate tracks by rendering.
I have not delved enough yet  as there is something about freezing an instrument track etc
I have not got my head around that yet.

The drum setup as in the link you gave comes from a vst drum machine and you can channel each track to a separate one converting to audio or wave from inside the vst.
It is a bit different for external keyboards and that is where i ask this question of getting all your external keyboard  sounds to separate audio tracks similtaneously.
I can do it one track at a time easily at the moment as I am a little confused about the process. I am sure It can be done , but how long winded is it??

All the best

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 04:29:36 AM »
Hi Pierre,
I can understand why John wants to record with Genos seperate audio tracks and not seperate midi tracks.
The reason is because he wants to use the sounds(voices) of the seperated tracks as they come from Genos and not to change the sounds with new voices from the vsti plugins of Cubase.

In that way he wants to take the advantage of Cubase's equalizer tools but he doesn't care about taking the advantage of using new voices of the several vstis because the voices of Genos are sound good as they are recorded.

If it is a midi track record then (more likely) he has to make changes to the midi track (to the pattern itself) to sound good with a new voice of a vsti plugin.

By the way, I didn't understand the reason why this guy on the video wanted seperate audio tracks while the seperated midi tracks sounded bad when payed together.
He didn't earn something this way.
He could correct the midi tracks,choose voices for them and make the equalization while they are still midi tracks.
Unless he wanted just to show that is something that can be done,but I think it could be  misleading for someone who tries to learn this stuff. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:22:34 PM by panos »

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Hey!
For my part, I mix the midi file directly in Genos and make a useful Auido file
via Geno's Audio Recorder. Good enough for me to play with, together with my guitar and Steelguitar.

// Pierre