Author Topic: Waitin' on the Wonderful. Say what?  (Read 6010 times)

keynote

Waitin' on the Wonderful. Say what?
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
Greetings everyone! We've been discussing recently why people should or should not buy a Genos. Many members currently own a different Yamaha arranger and they seem satisfied; as it suits them for their specific needs. Lest we forget the Genos has new and advanced features that previous models currently lack. One of those new features is the ability to play MP3+CDG files and thereby transforms the Genos into a veritable Karaoke player. Now what is truly amazing is that fellow member Richard Losper generously shared his own comprehensive and high quality MP3+CDG collection with us for our enjoyment. This comprehensive MP3+CDG collection is worth mucho dinero and in fact, in terms of cost, would be roughly three times the price of a Genos as valued on the retail market if indeed you had to pay for those very same MP3+CDG files. So what is my point? Well, what are you waiting for! This new feature alone is just one more reason to seriously consider purchasing a Genos. Besides all the other reasons, most notably the superb sounds, which truly takes the Genos to a new level of musicality. Plus if you shop around you can probably find a really good deal which is an even greater incentive to jump on the bandwagon if you haven't already. Please excuse me if I seem overly optimistic in my attempt to convince you that the Genos is well worth the price of admission. I'm really somewhat biased I suppose, having owned a Genos for several months now and enjoying it more and more with each passing day. When you have a cutting edge product it's quite natural to shout it from the rooftops so that others may share in the rewards. But to each his own if you happen to feel otherwise.

I can understand people's rationale for passing on the Genos e.g. too expensive, wrong color, too many keys, no tilt screen, waiting for Genos 2, sounds are not leaps and bounds better than your current setup - probably due to the fact of listening and/or playing the Genos through an inferior sound system, etc., you are very familiar with your current arranger setup so why rock the boat? Etc., etc., etc..{insert here}. By the way, if you're waiting for Genos 2 good luck. Three to four years is a long to time to wait for what could be another reason to kick the can down the road e.g. too expensive, wrong color, too many keys, no tilt screen, waiting for Genos 3, and/or you are very familiar with your current arranger setup so why rock the boat now? Etc., etc., etc..{insert here}. ;D But if you're on a strict budget then please accept my sincere apology. On a lighter note please continue reading.

I have provided a song in the link below which will demonstrate the MP3+CDG feature on the Genos. Everything is being played and sung through the Genos. I used a Shure SM58 dynamic vocal mic and recorded everything to Sonar Platinum. This is an audio file. The words to the song are displayed on the Genos 9 inch LCD screen. I recorded everything to my computer in real-time. PS: It might take a while for the song to fully load on the Box website depending on your internet connection. Enjoy!

Waitin' on the Wonderful by Aaron Lines

Mike

tyrosman

Re: Waitin' on the Wonderful. Say what?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:11:37 AM »
Great Recording mike what style did you use :) I love Country music
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:14:05 AM by tyrosman »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
If i understood correctly, I think Keynote said it's an Mp3+CDG song, but sung live.
Not an internal Genos style.

I must admit though that my knowledge of these things, as well as Midifiles, amounts
to Zero.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
Greetings everyone!
[...]

I have provided a song in the link below which will demonstrate the MP3+CDG feature on the Genos. Everything is being played and sung through the Genos. I used a Shure SM58 dynamic vocal mic
and recorded everything to Sonar Platinum. This is an audio file. The words to the song are displayed on the Genos 9 inch LCD screen. I recorded everything to my computer in real-time. PS: It might take a while for the song to fully load on the Box website depending on your internet connection. Enjoy!

Waitin' on the Wonderful by Aaron Lines

Mike

SUPER !!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »
Mike/Keynote

I really liked your singing and recording . . . . very professional  !

A couple of questions, since I am not familiar with Karoake files

1) i understand karaoke files are pretty much a pre-recorded track with the music and then you sing
how/why did you use Sonar Platinum, is this for recording and editing the final product . ..  ? 

2) i searched this forum for the MP3+CDG collection you mentioned was provided by member Richard Losper but could not find it.   Can you provide a link to that collection . . .  ? and download instructions.

thanks a lot, enjoy.   

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline soryt

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:07:14 AM »
Mike, the Mp3/Cdg is indeed a nice extra option , it is also one of the features that gives the most problems with freezin units.
If you connect a monitor with a usb / monitor adapter the Genos freeze up and you cant use it as a Karaoke machine , there are several customer who
have made a complain about this problem , and Yamaha cant ( or will?) solve this problem.
I fore myself dont use this option , but if you want it isnt so reliable .
there are more issiues with the Genos , but with the last update the most are solved .
I like the Genos a lot , but there are a lot things that can be improved .

Soryt  :)

btw , song sound great :-)

Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

DonM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 02:11:39 AM »
It is a good feature.  I enjoyed it on my Korg PA4X for the three years I owned it!  Didn't use it much, but if you are into that sort of thing it worked great. 

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 03:42:28 AM »
Mike/Keynote

I really liked your singing and recording . . . . very professional  !

A couple of questions, since I am not familiar with Karoake files

1) i understand karaoke files are pretty much a pre-recorded track with the music and then you sing
how/why did you use Sonar Platinum, is this for recording and editing the final product . ..  ? 

2) i searched this forum for the MP3+CDG collection you mentioned was provided by member Richard Losper but could not find it.   Can you provide a link to that collection . . .  ? and download instructions.

thanks a lot, enjoy.

Hi Al,

The MP3-CDG files are stored in Google Drive mentioned in this thread:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43726.msg345411.html#msg345411

Google Drive link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F0tqQ1BKBBFDqPfH7bCcOdIl0JJt87Cz

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
Paul

thanks a lot for the link.  I will take a look later today/tomorrow.

It is appreciated.

have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

keynote

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
Thank you guys for the kind words. I used Sonar Platinum to record the song. You can also use Sonar Platinum to edit a song if you wish. On this song there was no editing at all. Thanks to Paul aka zionip for providing the link to the MP3 + CDG collection.

Mike, the Mp3/Cdg is indeed a nice extra option , it is also one of the features that gives the most problems with freezin units.
If you connect a monitor with a usb / monitor adapter the Genos freeze up and you cant use it as a Karaoke machine , there are several customer who have made a complain about this problem , and Yamaha cant ( or will?) solve this problem.

Yes it would be nice if Yamaha could come up with a solution for the freezing problem you mentioned when using an external monitor. When I use the karaoke function I use the internal LCD screen and so far I have experienced no problems.  If Yamaha happens to read this thread maybe they will relay the information about the freezing problem to Japan headquarters. It would certainly be nice to be able to use an external monitor with the karaoke feature.

Mike

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »

there are more issiues with the Genos , but with the last update the most are solved .
I like the Genos a lot , but there are a lot things that can be improved .

Soryt  :)

btw , song sound great :-)

THANKS Soryt,  you referred to a state of affairs that this site seems to prefer left unmentioned.  As for why this site IMHO is so partial  I  only have unsubstantiated doubts.

I had a lot of problems before 1.3  while the Genos was, "best keyboard ever." And  I still have a lot of unsolved problems.  Could you possibly start a thread like f.i.:  "What must be fixed to make you switch to Genos" . I am afraid that if I do that people will not post just as the sound comparison was a flop because  a persona non grata  made it. I have been working on this since mid January and in spite of a lot of things I really do  like refrained from switching due to too many unsolved problems.  As the YAMAHA rep understands my reluctance - would the Genos still be here if he were not interested in my "digging-results"  -  I have difficulty swallowing the standard answer, it is not the product, it is the incompetence of the user.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »
Well Kaarlo,
  I spent a lot of time with our UK top Technical Support chap two weekends ago. He attended a meeting I had of my forum members on our musical weekend. Most of us had our Genos keyboards with us so there were lots of questions which were all answered to everyones satisfaction. Lots of things were demonstrated and the ease of which they could be performed. He then gave us an hours performance using mainly the onbourd OTS setting of the styles. There were no fancy set ups used and it was just fantastic. We all certainly learned a lot over the weekend about how good this keyboard really is.
  For me I can't see what else they can add. It has all I will ever need to go out and entertain.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »
Dear Eileen,

I am happy you had a wonderful time with people who had bought the Genos.  As my answer unfortunately will no be short I will  reply with  a personal message. Hope that is Ok

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Kytrinh

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
Great Post Mike!!
 Thoroughly enjoyed your HQ recording..
Seems to me now youre no longer waiting on the wonderful..-:)
Regards
Ky
Genos, Tyros4/5, Pa4X, Audya5, KetronSD40, RolandXP30