Author Topic: Midi command for next page in text file?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Midi command for next page in text file?
« on: May 04, 2018, 05:02:05 AM »
I display lyrics in text files, and to get my registrations to do it, each page of lyrics is in a separate file (eg, American Pie1.txt, American Pie2.txt, etc.).

It has been cumbersome to maintain these files, as well as slow to display the next "page".

As switching to the next page in a text file can be assigned to a pedal, I'm wondering if it can also be handled by a Sysex command.

Is there a sysex command equivalent to "Text Viewer Page +"?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline CrzyCDN

Re: Midi command for next page in text file?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »
Hello Fred
I am not aware of any SysX commands for page +-
But .....
You could set up the midi MFC10 foot pedal options to receive
its note on commands to trigger the selected option.
 - Desired port & channel would be your choice)
It starts with note 13  ... hex 0D
example in hex   90 0D F7 will trigger the first event in the MFC10 list which you could set to page +
 - next in the list could be 90 0E F7 could set to page -
I just tried sending from my pc it and it works.
I hope it my explanation makes sense.
Regards  Ted

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:13:14 AM »
I am not aware of any SysX commands for page +-
But .....
You could set up the midi MFC10 foot pedal options to receive
its note on commands to trigger the selected option.
 - Desired port & channel would be your choice)
It starts with note 13  ... hex 0D
example in hex   90 0D F7 will trigger the first event in the MFC10 list which you could set to page +
 - next in the list could be 90 0E F7 could set to page -
I just tried sending from my pc it and it works.
I hope it my explanation makes sense.

Hi Ted,

Very helpful.

But doesn't the MFC10 just turn around and issue its own midi commands? My understanding is the way the MFC10 communicates with the keyboard is via midi commands. So couldn't I just send out the same midi command (if I knew what it was)?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
Hi Fred

I am not aware what the MFC10 template actually sends to the keyboard.
I tried monitoring the keyboard while manually doing a page =- and no Sysx messages are sent from the keyboard which doesn't mean they don't exist (just not transmitted)

The MFC10 foot controller only sends Note On commands to the keyboard which decides what to do with it.

I have not seen any other commands to do Page +-
The above post would just be a work-around depending how you want to send the command.

If I see anything else relating to your post, you'll be the first to know.

Regards  Ted

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »
I am not aware what the MFC10 template actually sends to the keyboard.
I tried monitoring the keyboard while manually doing a page =- and no Sysx messages are sent from the keyboard which doesn't mean they don't exist (just not transmitted)

The MFC10 foot controller only sends Note On commands to the keyboard which decides what to do with it.

I have not seen any other commands to do Page +-
The above post would just be a work-around depending how you want to send the command.

If I see anything else relating to your post, you'll be the first to know.

OK, but couldn't I create a midi file which sends the same Note On command (if I knew what it was)?

Does the MFC10 tell you what note number (and velocity) it's sending to do the Page +?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 02:48:53 AM »
Hi Fred

Does the MFC10 tell you what note number (and velocity) it's sending to do the Page +?

The note numbers sent by the MFC by default should be documented in its operation manual (you may change this configuration). The Tyros series supported a MFC10 template that was compatible with the default setup of the MFC10, so it was a no-brainer if you used the standard setup chosen by Yamaha.

The Genos does not have such a template, but the standard setup for the "External Controller" page (go to Menu2 / MIDI / External Controller) may correspond to the default MFC10 setup (not sure here...).

Anyway the Genos default setup for External Controller does not offer Page +/-, so you have to choose two MIDI notes of your liking and set its function as desired (Text Viewer Page + resp. -). This way you can use any external controller to scroll the pages by sending MIDI note on events or (which was not possible with Tyros) control change events.

OK, but couldn't I create a midi file which sends the same Note On command (if I knew what it was)?

Well, yes and no. The problem is that "external controller" really means EXTERNAL controller. The MIDI events really have to be received at a MIDI Port, so it will work with an external sequencer sending its data to Genos via MIDI Port A, B or MIDI USB. Genos will NOT respond to a MIDI channel from the INTERNAL sequencer (unless the behaviour of Genos is different from the Tyros series). A possible solution would be to use a MIDI loop back, so the internal sequencer sends out a Note On Event on one MIDI port while the second MIDI port is listening to this channel and is setup as the receiver of an external controller.

Hope my description was not too confusing  :-\ and coukd be of some help.

Michael

Regards, Michael

Offline CrzyCDN

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 03:44:23 AM »
Hi Fred
Not sure what the Genos setup looks like.
On the Tyros, the notes to send start at decimal 13 or 0x0D (hex)
in hex ... 90 0D 7F  will send the note on Chanel 1
It could be sent from a midi file
The MFC template has to be set up for the port and channel.
The function to be triggered  for the note on is selected in the template.
If you mail me some screen shots of the Genos MFC10 setup screens, I may be able to explain further.
Hope this makes sense.
Regards Ted