Author Topic: Genos Style Octave  (Read 8785 times)

Offline mlavio829

Genos Style Octave
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:22:28 AM »
Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with regards to changing the octave of an instrument in a style?
For example, on one of the PAD parts of a style, the Organ is playing a lower octave. I would like to increase the octave of that organ sound.
I do not see an option on the Genos like i did on the Tyros - i can change the octave of my right hand parts but not the style parts.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

Offline valimaties

Re: Genos Style Octave
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:43:00 PM »
Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with regards to changing the octave of an instrument in a style?
For example, on one of the PAD parts of a style, the Organ is playing a lower octave. I would like to increase the octave of that organ sound.
I do not see an option on the Genos like i did on the Tyros - i can change the octave of my right hand parts but not the style parts.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

1. In Yamaha (in general) go to Style Creator. Select for recording your channel (PAD). Go to Step Edit. Press on Event Filter and let ticked only Note. Click Ok and then go to first position using up arrow, and click on Multi Select. Now press on down arrow till you positioning to last Note event in list. Be sure to highlight the note ("C3", or whatever).. Press +(INC) till your note shows up an octave ("C4")... Using Multi Select active, all notes will be manually transposed.

2. Use StyleMagicYA software to easily change octave of an instrument, in Channel Manager screen.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

robika81

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
1. In Yamaha (in general) go to Style Creator. Select for recording your channel (PAD). Go to Step Edit. Press on Event Filter and let ticked only Note. Click Ok and then go to first position using up arrow, and click on Multi Select. Now press on down arrow till you positioning to last Note event in list. Be sure to highlight the note ("C3", or whatever).. Press +(INC) till your note shows up an octave ("C4")... Using Multi Select active, all notes will be manually transposed.

2. Use StyleMagicYA software to easily change octave of an instrument, in Channel Manager screen.

Regards,
Vali

Hi Vali!
I tried what you mention above, but when i press the channel i want to octave shift (transpose) in stylecreator on my Genos it ask me to delete whats already recorded on the channel...? In other words, i cant step edit the "original" recorded pattern and octave transpose it. Is there a way around this? Can you really not change octave on a style part on Genos?

Regards
Robert

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
Hi Vali!
I tried what you mention above, but when i press the channel i want to octave shift (transpose) in stylecreator on my Genos it ask me to delete whats already recorded on the channel...? In other words, i cant step edit the "original" recorded pattern and octave transpose it. Is there a way around this? Can you really not change octave on a style part on Genos?

Regards
Robert

There are 2 options why you cannot edit that channel:
  • The channel is linked (multiple channels on the same style part - ie channel 1 = channel 2 = channel 12 - CHD1)
  • The channel is blocked on edited by a soft in which was made/edited - like CASM Editor

In this case, you have to use a PC software to edit that style, like Style Magic YA, or other free software which you will find it on this site!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
If this is one of the preset styles then you need to save a copy, then use Jorgens "style unlocker" program on the copy. That will remove the protection, and allow you edit the channel notes.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
... I'm wondering if anyone could help me with regards to changing the octave of an instrument in a style?

Any ideas? ...

Hi Michael,

a Style Part can NOT be transposed by "simply" changing directly the Note events inside the Style, because in the CASM settings of most Styles there is defined a "key window" for each Part (which notes a particular Part should play).

So please try to adjust the parameters "High Key" and/or "Note Limit (High/Low)" of the particlular Target Part/Channel instead, as described in Genos Reference Manual, pages 21 - 24 ("SFF Edit—Making Style File Format Settings").

P.S.
Another way would be to revoice the Style Part with a Voice that sounds an octave higher by itself. If you can not find such a Preset Voice, you can make a new Voice (transposed by one octave) in YEM.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:57:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
So please try to adjust the parameters "High Key" and/or "Note Limit (High/Low)" of the particlular Target Part/Channel instead, as described in Genos Reference Manual, pages 21 - 24 ("SFF Edit—Making Style File Format Settings").

This is happening only if the High/Low Note limit is different by default values of C-2 to G8. If so, indeed, those High/Low values have to be modified. But the High key has nothing to do with octave transpose.
Yamaha tell us that the better way to make a style is to make it in CMaj. But, also, you can change this key, and you can record any of the channels (not Drums) in any of the keys, from Db - B, and the Chord Type of any type from the list. It is true that in this case in Style Creator you cannot hear anymore the right sounds of entire style if you made this type of record, but in realtime play it will sounds as it has to be. So, if style is made by this way, the High Key must be changed according to Play Root key, too.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
Here is little but IMPORTANT item which I just discovered in the last 6 months or so.

As you know you have to record in the key of C (we all know this rule).

As you may have noticed in the past, that when you record your note phases using the STYLE CREATOR in the Bass, CHD and PHR section of a style not ALL the notes recorded correctly and/or they will note play correctly when you transpose the style into another key.

But if you record your notes (i.e. lick/phrasing) using the PAD slot of the "main", you can record ANY note there and then the keyboard will play back ALL the notes correctly (even if you transpose key the style). After recording in this section of the style part you can then move the recorded Pattern you just made to any of the other sections of the style by using "copy and paste." Once you have your recording in its proper location you can then adjust the Reverb and Chorus settings to your liking.

You will find that you could not record your own phase into PHR1 correctly. But you can move your recorded phase from the PAD section to the PHR1, and it will play correctly.

I have never read anywhere else on the forum that people have discovered this tip and so I guess it is not mentioned in the manual either. 

I have but using this new technique the past couple of months, and it really speeds up my time on creating my custom song styles. I can record any phrasing pattern now, it's simple and easily to do using the STYLE CREATOR on the keyboard.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:41:49 PM by DrakeM »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
 :D I did not have any problem creating/recording other channel than PAD... I don't know what were you recording, but my styles are singing all notes I record on CHDs or PHRs channels without any problem.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
... a Style Part can NOT be transposed by "simply" changing directly the Note events inside the Style, because in the CASM settings of most Styles there is defined a "key window" for each Part (which notes a particular Part should play)...

Best regards,
Chris

I have not had any real problems in this regard when changing the octave in StyleMagic.  Maybe StyleMagic does this automatically.  I have done it many times.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:32:21 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html