Author Topic: Soft reset, how much do you loose?  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Toril S

Soft reset, how much do you loose?
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:18:50 AM »
Hello friends :) I have discovered that I have a temperamental S970. Sometimes it acts strange, and I have to turn it off and on to get it straight again. I wonder how much I loose by holding down the rightmost key while powering it on? Do I loose all my work, songs and styles that I have saved, or is it only the settings that go back to factory standard? I haven't dared to do anything. Since I have not fiddled much with EQ settings, I am not worried about that going back to factory standard.
My impression of this keyboard is that the CPU is not a fast one, so it may be that I do things too fast for the keyboard, and it gets comfused. This definitely is a keyboard with a bit of personality :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:20:58 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline MBedesem

Re: Soft reset, how much do you loose?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
According to the 970 Reference Manual, page 132:

"SYSTEM SETUP Resets the System Setup parameters to the original factory settings. Refer to the “Parameter Chart” in the Data List on the website for details about which parameters belong to System Setup."

The first column under the System headingis the one that applies.

Note from The PSR FAQ: "

Items that are stored/ activates will show an “O” in the appropriate column. (The identification of this “O” was omitted in the some manuals)." X means no action.

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 05:31:10 AM »
I am no wiser😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:03:44 AM »
It is always a good idea to back everything up onto a USB stick so that if you do lose anything doing a back up you still have it on your USB. Sometimes if you press buttons to fast without allowing them time to find and load things they become confused and you may have to switch off and on again to give it a breather.
   This happens from time to time on most keyboards and is nothing serious.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:19:07 AM »
Thanks, Michael and Eileen :) Good to hear this is normal. And you are right, Eileen, sometimes I press buttons too fast. So I will not do a reset now, since everything works fine if I only slow down a bit :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:27:36 AM »
Hi Toril,

The reset that is carried out if you hold down the rightmost key (C6) whilst turning on the power only resets the 'System Setup' parameters.

There is a note in the section 'Resetting to the Factory-programmed Settings' on page 32 of the PSR-S970 Owner's Manual which refers to resets carried out by the above procedure which says:

NOTE
The recorded Songs (page 68), Expansion Packs (page 46), and other files
saved to this instrument are not deleted by this operation.

As Michael said, the Setup parameters that are reset are shown in the 'Parameter Chart' in the downloadable 'PSR-S970 Data List'.
They appear with an 'O' in the column headed 'Setup' in the 'System' group of columns.
The leftmost column in the chart lists the Parameter, then there are 2 columns showing which keyboard model (S970 and/or S770) the row in the chart refers to, again shown by an 'O' or an 'X'.
The next (4th) column is the one listing the System Setup parameters. Anything with an 'O' in this column along with an 'O' in the S-970 column will be reset when you carry out a System Setup reset.  It includes things like Set Points, Chord Fingering Type, as well as many others, but it will not delete any user files on the User or USB drives.

If you have downloaded the 'Reference Manual', you will find further information about how to carry out various resets, and how to back up existing setups if you want to be safe, in the section 'Setup Files' on page 131, and 'Reset' on page 132.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:46:14 AM »
Thanks, Ian :) Good to know if I ever have to do it!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
Also good to know.... If you do a FACTORY reset it will bring your keyboard back as it came out of the box. Unless something is broken of  course! That will delete everything you created and stored somewhere on the keyboard. Backup BACKUP all you work first!
Clearly this you ONLY need to do when the keyboard is totally confused and behaves strangely. It will NOT affect the preset voices and styles as the are in non erasable memory so you don't have to worry about that.

Regards
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »
Thanks Dick😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 04:43:45 AM »
It is always a good idea to back everything up onto a USB stick so that if you do lose anything doing a back up you still have it on your USB. Sometimes if you press buttons to fast without allowing them time to find and load things they become confused and you may have to switch off and on again to give it a breather.
   This happens from time to time on most keyboards and is nothing serious.

Thanks, Eileen. Always good advice!

One should not trust their USB drive or PC either. I never feel really safe without multiple back-ups.

Always read the manual and back-up before doing any sort of reset. Yep, everything electronic needs a reset now and then, so it's good to prepare for the future with periodic back-ups.

All the best -- pj

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:48:28 AM »
Thanks PJ😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.