Author Topic: genos sloop john b  (Read 7839 times)

Offline rattley

genos sloop john b
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
There are so many styles I haven't checked out  yet.   This is the easy listening easy pop style.  It just resonated this sloop john b song. -charley

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Pianoman

Re: genos sloop john b
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
Hello Charley.

I have recorded  Dave Stewart's "Lily Was Here" as a just sit and play, on my T3,
using the same preset Easy Listening Pop style.

I recognised the style as I was listening to your version of Sloop John B, whichiI liked
and I find very good by the way.

So I thought I would post a song using the same style, from my T3, to show the style
similarities.

I hope that you won't mind.

https://app.box.com/s/1qdcfh97k830v9yj1vz1hfz2kdwx4ojq

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:38:31 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
Hello Charley! I like your version of Slopp John B very much!
I did tihs song on my S970 some weeks ago, using the 60sVigtagePop style. Just for fun, here is a link to my version. Keep them coming, my friend.

https://app.box.com/s/ltyxzlbehd4fl2xh1vmesscog0sfnh3h
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

DonM

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »
I don't hear much difference in the sound quality of any of these three demos, or in my S970.  Wish I did.
Thanks for sharing.  We need more of this type of comparisons.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:37:14 AM »
I agree. This is fun. We all make different choices in styles and voices. A song can be played in many different ways. As for sound quality I cannot say. They all sound good.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:19 AM »
Gotta agree with DonM, not a hill of beans difference, at least from my standpoint. And, if Don and I cannot hear it, then I can guarantee you the audience cannot hear it as well.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rattley

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:03:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  As I was playing sloop john b to this style I also kept hearing rhinestone cowboy as a possibility too.  I love going on my musical adventures.  -charley

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
So do I! Sometimes when I want to play a song, I search for the song on this forum, and find different versions of it. Much to learn from that. I song can be played in many different ways, with different styles and voices, tempo, different effects, playing style and so on. And often a style begs me to make a little melody for it :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
I liked all three performances posted and the styles fit the song in either case.

Note to the side: About that "Lilly was here" Abby... If you ever looked for a reason to finally decide for either upgrade... The sax voice is one of the reasons ;) I think Genos has the best on board by standard but as far as I know the same sax voices are available for (my) T5 with the expansion packs on Musicsoft. Darn... Did I make you doubt again? Haha.

All three well done, I really enjoyed listening!

thanks for sharing,
Peter

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
A song can be played in many different ways, with different styles and voices, tempo, different effects, playing style and so on. And often a style begs me to make a little melody for it :)

So true Toril,

I for one like the challenge of playing a song in a totally different way. Whether that is a different time signature, tempo or even genre (make a waltz a ballad, a R&R or even a rock version or vice versa and the results sometimes are astonishing, surprise you, err or even scare you :P But no matter the outcome, fun it is....

regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:35:07 AM by XeeniX »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Yes, and artists do it all the time. Sometimes to good effect, sometimes I cry: Don't distroy my favorite song! It has to be just as it is :) But it is always fun with different versions!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »
Especially if you are not an artist but just a home brewing guy or gal and the only one that is coming to haunt you is not the public but the artist in question. Uhh, or your spouse  :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 07:46:07 AM by XeeniX »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 07:47:30 AM »
Or the neighbours  :) :) :) What would we do without our keyboards? Always something fun to do when you sit down to play!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
I've reserved the off hours of my neighbour's swimming pool for those occasions Toril. I threw him in already once after he was drunk and karaoking at 4 am during one of his parties. I don't think my performances ever were that bad to give him enough courage to haunt me :P

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »
Ha ha :) LOL :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline rattley

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
So its OK to play the hokey pokey with a waltz style???     Love it!!!     -charley

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
I am curious about the outcome of that experiment rattley :D

regards,
Peter

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
One of the musical exercises I used to do many years ago was to pick out a song in my head, then play that song using every style in the keyboard, regardless of the type of style it was originally written for. The one that I recall the  most most was a country song, You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Lucille. It was a waltz, that I played using every style on the keyboard including rap and hip hop - just for the fun of it. Give it a try, you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rattley

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
Gary,

You gave me that advice years ago when I had a PSR 2000. It still serves me well!!  Best wishes.  -charley

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Interesting post for sure.  I enjoyed all three tunes. Thank you for posting.

It certainly, for me, underlines the minor differences in sound between all these different keyboards.  I wonder what kind of replies would have been forthcoming if the keyboard model was not mentioned and we had to guess what Yamaha instrument was being used for each piece.

I think my old Tyros 4 will 'Cut The Mustard' for a bit longer.

Vic

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
One of the musical exercises I used to do many years ago was to pick out a song in my head, then play that song using every style in the keyboard, regardless of the type of style it was.....

I've used this method since my very first arranger keyboard back in the early 80'ies. Lot's of fun. :)
Also when jump around and pick random styles and variations without touch any of the intro buttons often lead me start spin around songs that not would be in my mind if use intros.
There are zillons of possibilities, most of the limitations are probably set by ourselves.  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline rattley

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
I found this yesterday and am fascinated.  2 of the original Beach Boys recording Sloop John B in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDZgl7H-coQ