Author Topic: Song-Specific Preset Style List?  (Read 4534 times)

Jamist

Song-Specific Preset Style List?
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »
Hi,

I know that some of the built-in styles are made with a specific song in mind, generally suggested indirectly by a sorta recognizable title.  “Movie Panther”, for example.  Is there a list around that identifies these styles, and the songs they’re actually for?

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline DrakeM

Re: Song-Specific Preset Style List?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Here I have attached the Music Finder for every keyboard all in one spreadsheet.

This is every thing from the PSR2000 to the Tyros 5 keyboards. Every one is noted as to the style name and which keyboard. I put this together to help me find a style with which to begin to create my own song specific styles.

There are very few Yamaha styles that fit perfectly for a song. Most of the suggestions are always using just ONE of the styles patterns to play the song all the way through using just it. That is so boring sounding, no song ever does that. Every song always has at least at a minimum a Verse and Chorus, each having a different pattern. Many songs have a third part to them called the bridge.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhIGLd9AvIj_gR_sAoNkyJUVIJM2

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:30:34 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Dick Rector, porterma, marius9, ticktock, thomas750, Paul B, MarcusAhlback, kali291

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
Here is a link to the same date in a WORD document format for you as well.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AhIGLd9AvIj_gRtgNA5TSxJlHn1_

Regards
Drake

The following users thanked this post: porterma, ticktock, thomas750

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Hi Jim,

The MF's can be of help but not all styles present will be listed there. On top of that there are many, many premium Yamaha styles (Musicsoft) that don't have (a) song tiltle(s) mentioned at the info page. They are just referring to a genre or genres for which that  style can be used. (Flippers Slowrock for example doesn't mention a title but perfect for the Platters song Only You (perhaps a wrong example since the song is played this time but usually it isn't in other style demo's) . Especially if the premium style is an older one. The new ones now usually (thank you Yamaha!) mentioned the song it is based upon. In the expansion packs the title confusion gets even bigger since there is no refenrence to any songs they were based upon, while they were clearly made from existing songs. As an example: 70sSchlager1 is almost a copy of the song called "Ein festival der Liebe" by Jürgen Marcus.

It would be really nice if user knowledge from those interested could be combined to create a combined list because it can be really frustrating when you  hear a familiar title whiel listening to an intro but being able to put a name to it (the "it's on the tip of my tongue, what IS the title?" feeling). It is also very time consuming and difficult when you want to play a certain song or create a registration or MF entry for a song you want to play browsing to endless folders (preset/premium/expansion) in order to find an appropriate style. A list that is filled with those styles and the song titles that are added to that list for those styles not in a MFinder list would be very helpful.

Perhaps you could drop me a pm with your e-mail if you are interested to see if we could combine some of the recognized titles with these unmentioned styles :) I'm working on one for already a few months and even recorded all my yamaha styles (preset/expansion/premium/converted yamaha presets from different keyboards) to mp3. That way I can audition them on my pc and check/verify with a you tube version of the song to see if it is right one. After confirmation I then tag the mp3 with that title so that I can query my mpo3 database later on when I am searching for a "song style".

There are many 3rd party companies selling real song styles and plenty opf them circulate on teh internet as well in user collections but imo they are so-so at best when compared to a Yamaha quality style.

kind regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:21:01 PM by XeeniX »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

edtek

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
I made an XL spreadsheet showing styles (plus some other info) for 160 selected songs in the GENOS Playlist that I posted in the GENOS PLAYLIST  board. 

You could check to see if your kb has some of the same style files.  I gave a quick look and even my 670 has many identically named styles as the GENOS.  Even if not present in your kb it might give you a clue.  Or you can probably get the GENOS preset files to put in your kb.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet :)

I've downloaded the list and added it to mine. I'm still working on my list to clean up since it has over 19,000  songtitles and their suggested style. I exported it from the psr styel database and all MFinder lists I coudl find including several MF_ entries I had downloaded before the servers went pffft. As youc an imagine this list includes a LOT of double titles and not always with the exact same style. MF's from older keyboards often had different styles. I want to work through all these entries removing the double titles that have teh same style leaving double titles with different styles inthere.

Will take a while but once done I will share my list in teh public area (general MF section will be best I think)

kind regards,
Peter