Author Topic: How to integrate external sound modules  (Read 28343 times)

Offline Joe H

Re: How to integrate external sound modules
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2020, 08:10:32 PM »
Hi Stuart,

As has been noted above, If you have a Motif or other Yamaha instrument that uses the MSB 063 for Normal Voices and MSB 062 for drum kits then the dummy Voice pack loaded in Genos will work. But also noted above is the fact the the Voice Set file is transmitted very fast before the Motif can load its Voice with all the DSP, Filters, Arps, and other settings, so the Voice Set settings won't apply... but if you select the Voice a second time after the Voice is loaded, or maybe select a User Voice with modified settings... the Voice Set settings will then be applied to the external Voice. 

When I select an analog Voice for my AN plug-in card using the midi solutions Event Processor to re-map the MSB 063 to MSB 036, the Analog card Voices load correctly including Voice Set settings because the AN Voices do not have all the preset setups as the Motif.

So... I'm wondering if there is a latency issue with the iPad

Here is my custom MIDI configuration for when I use the dummy Voice packs:

R1, Ch1 - Local Off
R1, Ch1 Transmit: Note, CC, PC, PB, AT
R1, Ch1 Receive: CC, PB, AT (if the Ipad Voices have an arpeggiator, you might try receiving Notes as well)

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:13:22 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline StuartR

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
Hi Joe and others,

here I post some generic voice files for several banks:

* Bank-00-00: GM - Use this to call the GM voices of the Genos

* Bank-36-02: This is for Joe and his AN plug-in card

* Bank-63-00: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 1
* Bank-63-01: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 2
* Bank-63-02: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 3
* Bank-63-03: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 4
* Bank-63-04: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 5
* Bank-63-05: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 6
* Bank-63-06: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 7
* Bank-63-07: Use this for example for Motif Rack XS Preset Bank 8

* Bank-64-00: Use this for sound modules which need only PC. Bank number 64 is just dummy.
* Bank-64-01: Use this for sound modules which react to LSB=01, for example M1 EX Presets
* Bank-64-02: Use this for sound modules which react to LSB=02, for example M1 Memory
* Bank-64-03: Use this for sound modules which react to LSB=03, for example M1 Synth 1

If these voice files work for you, you can rename them as you like.

Joe, can you test these voice files on the S970?

Uli

P.S.: I used a hex editor to generate the PC numbers of one bank. Then I used grepWin to change the bank numbers of all files of a bank by one click.
P.P.S.: The program change numbers are zero-based. Add one, if you want to start counting from one. ;)

While these voice files work just fine to call up external MIDI sound module patches they also call internal Genos GM/XG voices which requires you to deselect local play for that voice. Since this can only be done in the Genos MIDI setup page it's not selectable via registration memory. This makes the use of external sound devices playable on the Genos keybed impractical. Am I overlooking something obvious here I hope??
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:48:34 PM by StuartR »

Offline Bill

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
Hi
Too much techy stuff here!!! ;D

On the contrary, I'm enjoying trying to understand it all.  Just waiting for these MIDI Guro's to fathom out how to send a SyseX command so that it stops my wife moaning that I am spending to much time reading about it.

However is my understanding correct that if you use the dummy Voice file to send info to the module, you do not have any voice playing on the KB, ie still just the 1 LH and 3 RH Voices.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Joe H

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
The dummy Voice (external instrument) will play on R1 only (since Local is turned off, there is no keyboard sounds on R1) so you have Left, R2 and R3 you can layer with R1 if you choose to.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Mendel

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2020, 12:46:41 AM »
I would like to make dummy voices for my genos that will recall different voices on samplerobot
using Logic Pro, any insights on how to do this? Should I use a different daw that would do the job
Better? Also, it would be nice that basic sound control like pan and volume would also be activated..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2020, 04:26:39 AM »
Mendel,

This topic was discussed a couple of weeks ago in a different thread. Maybe you will get some ideas from the discussion.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44663.msg434043.html#msg434043

Joe H