Author Topic: Demo voice's settings  (Read 5174 times)

arvacon

Demo voice's settings
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »
Hi.
At the s770, the ConcertGrand live! and GrandPiano live! but also some other piano voices, are totally flat with low volume and they need a lot of EQ tweeking to make them sound better, but even then, you can't come close to what you hear when you push the demo play button.
The difference is the day with the night comparing to demos.. I guess the same thing is happening at s970 as well.

I was wondering, is there any way to find what EQ or other settings Yamaha used for the demo of these voices?

Has anyone try to replicate these sounds by tweaking the settings until to find the golden section?

What type of files could be these demo sounds, midi or just audio files that are stored at the internal memory? If these are midi's, they could have stored some info about their settings, right?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:35:20 PM by arvacon »

Offline Graham UK

Re: Demo voice's settings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
arvacon. Yes. Interesting article...I agree all Yamaha models give the same result.

Hopefully there will be a number of forum reply's.
DGX670

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:35:45 PM »
I think you can start quick record then just trigger the demo phrase. This will create a MIDI file that you can examine as much as you want to.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:14:21 PM »
With my S950, I thought the same thing when I listen to the Guitar demo samples. I am a guitar player, who has moved over to these amazing keyboards.

If you go through and listen to all your preset OTS in EACH one of your styles (that's several hundred), you will find what you are looking for. Once you find the piano sound you like, note it. You can then copy and paste that setup into any Style and then SAVE that style as a user style on your USB stick.

I am sure other members will post here settings for you to try out. I have found that Yamaha has packed all these keyboards with a ton of different setups on all the various voices in the OTS.

Just going to and copying and pasting the Grand Piano using the Yamaha default is just ONE setting that Yamaha has given to you to use with that voice, there are a lot more. I noticed this when I stumble onto a really nice guitar sound years ago. I looked to see what the voice was, then I found another style using the same voice ... not the same sound at all. So, the lesson is ... seek and Ye shall find.  ;D

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:23:40 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361, Taffinator

arvacon

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions guys, they seems promising!

Drakem, it will be really nice if I can make it to find that nice "grandpiano live!" demo sound in one of the styles. That seems an interesting way to spend my weekend time.  :)

Any other ideas from other members are welcomed too.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:54:33 AM by arvacon »

arvacon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
Ok, I have followed DerekA's suggestion and I have recorded two midi files.
I opened them with the midiplayer of this link, and I exported the midi settings as pdf (I have attached both midi and pdf files bellow).
I am new in the midi info, so I can't figure exactly about which settings I should change at my keyboard.
Can anyone that makes sense about these midi settings, have a look at these files?
Can you create 2 registration files about them and then share them with us?
Or is it easy to analyze them here, so I can understand what settings do I need to change?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:58:04 PM by arvacon »

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Hi Avarcon,
from the pdf I cannot understand anything  :o
for me two midi files if I play them on my keyboard:

a)The "Concert Grand" midi is using the "Piano" voice in GM&GX folder.
reverb 16,EQ LOW -12.touch button on and probably sustain button on(or sustain pedal).

Also if you wach the score pattern you will see that is hitting 7 keys at the same time.
It is not by accident that way.Neither that is a small piece of music.  :)
If you can play like this you will get that sound.

b)The "Grand Piano" midi is using the "Live!Grandpiano" voice.
reverb 20,EQ HIGH+32,EQ LOW +44,touch button and probably sustain button on(or sustain pedal).

I can't see what other effects maybe in the voices from the mixer menu,
but I guess for the piano voice you should use some reverb and also some release or sustain if it is a slow piece of music in order the sounds to fade away smoothly and not like you are playing a fast piece of music on a HonkyTonk piano.
On the other hand if you use too much release or sustain in a fast piece of music the sounds of the notes will mess up one over the other.   

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:44:14 PM by panos »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Because the issue of Demo settings has been raised repeatedly over the years I had previously checked out how Tyros's handle them and came to the conclusion that the keyboard will play the demo piece using whatever voice you have loaded. So if you load a preset piano, it is that voice and default settings that are used. If you edit a preset voice (or load an edited user voice), then play the demo those settings will be used.
So I don't believe there is anything magic about the general settings used in the demos assuming the PSR's behave similarly to Tyros's. They sound good because of the musical quality of the pieces chosen, and maybe, especially in the case of pianos, the velocity levels used lead to more expression than someone just playing a few keys informally with the preset to compare. Also depending on the piece, proper use of sustain may enhance the demo significantly.
I can't easily get at the GM piano (on Genos) to compare its preset settings against those that panos found in the first midi. However he found the GrandPiano's settings in its midi were Reverb 20, EQ Hi 32, EQ Lo 44. They are the preset voice's settings, which tend to support my assumption above.
John

arvacon

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
Ρε Panos, I had not think to load the midi file back at my keyboard to check there about it! :o ::) Τhanks for the idea.  ;)

The ConcertGrand is using piano voice from GM&XG folder, because at your s750 maybe there is not the live!ConcertGrand voice.

You have right, I had not realized that this midi song plays so many notes at the same time, so that makes sense now, about why it sounds so rich. At the other hand, the main problem with the piano voices seems to be that they have low volume when they are at default.

So as I was searching at the voice set, I found that especially the ConcertGrand, has -2dB gain at low frequency and 0db at high. When you increase the low at total of 12db, the sound seems that get's some life.

I will experiment with all these settings and I hope to find a nice setup soon. I must take the decision to RTFM soon too..  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:14:12 PM by arvacon »