Author Topic: Yammex, a module to expand your yamaha keyboard  (Read 20354 times)

Bachus

Yammex, a module to expand your yamaha keyboard
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:14:41 PM »

The yammex module comes with 720 sounds, 256 voice polyphony and 4GB of samples..
It adds new sounds to any Yamaha keyboards using Yem..

All you need to do is connect the midi to the Yammex
And connect the audio out to the audio in of the Genos
And then import the accompanying ppf file in YEM

This allows you to play the external sounds in the module the same way as if you would play imternal yamaha sounds..  the sounds are of the highest quallity... just listen to the demo i added to my site..also there is a huge amount of info added translated from German in the first reply.

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/632/yammex-expander-genos-psr-keyboards

Very very promissing.

All this leaves me with one question..
How can you create a ppf file (which is mostly a kind of XML wrapper) from a module..
Because if we can do this, you can add any module you own and select sounds directly from the Genos screen.

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline voodoo

Re: Yammex, a module to expand your yamaha keyboard
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Hi Bachus,

I have seen this V3 Yammex live last weekend. My impression was the follwing:

* It is a normal midi expander sound module as there are many others available
* It has 4 GB of sample rom and 256 voices of polyphony
* It has velocity switching, round robin samples (wavecycling like revo drums) and note off samples
* But it is very weak concerning DSPs, so no good amp sim or rotary speaker effect

The idea of the integration using dummy voices for the Genos is very clever:

* Just build a PPF pack containing empty dummy voices
* When selecting such a user voice, the Genos sends a MSB/LSB/PC command to the midi output
* Now the Yammex is programmed to react to program changes for MSB 063, which is used by YEM for user voices
* The Yammex even understands voice editing messages, so you can tweak voice set parameters on the Genos (like volume, pan, effect send, filter or envelop), and the Yammex makes use of this.

So when you have an external sound module and you know the PC numbers of its voices, it is easy to make a PPF containing just dummy voices that carry the names of the external voices.

Yesterday I made two PPF packs, one for "iGrand Piano" for iPad, and one for "iLectric Piano" for iPad. Now I can select piano and e-piano voices on my iPad easily from my Genos.

If the sound module listens to bank numbers, it is getting interesting, since user voices in YEM are bound to MSB 063, while the LSB is assignable. But I have no iPad sound program that listens to bank numbers, so I did not try to solve this.

Uli
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:41:53 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline soryt

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
I heard nothing new what isnt possible to reproduce on the Genos . with some "tweaking" and the Gns Dsp's  you get a better sound .
i better invest in original Yamaha voices . ( and i have a Nord 5d too :-)

Soryt  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
All this leaves me with one question..
How can you create a ppf file (which is mostly a kind of XML wrapper) from a module..

Here is a screen shot of the Yammex PPF, which is a normal PPF with self made user voices.

For example: "V3 EP-Dyno54.01" sends MSB=063, LSB=54, PC=01. That's all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:02:10 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »

... The idea of the integration using dummy voices for the Genos is very clever:

* Just build a PPF pack containing empty dummy voices
* When selecting such a user voice, the Genos sends a MSB/LSB/PC command to the midi output

So when you have an external sound module and you know the PC numbers of its voices, it is easy to make a PPF containing just dummy voices that carry the names of the external voices...

Uli

Uli,

Can you explain how to make a "dummy Voice" pack in YEM to install in our keyboards?  I have been thinking of this to call-up the Motif Voices when I want to use the Motif sounds for R1/R2.  In other words, I want to create a dummy Voice pack for the Motif that I can install in my S970.  This dummy pack would have the Motif Voice names and LSB.  Motif uses the MSB 063 for it's Voices and Multis (Performances).

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:32:27 AM »
Uli,

Looking at you example: you say you can create a Voice without a sample in the YEM Editor and just assign the Voice a name and LSB # and PC#?  Is that correct?

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
 ??? It sounds like : "there is a way to expand Genos sounds beyond 1.8GB expansion limit"

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:45:56 AM »
OK,

I have done a test.  It is possible to create a "dummy" Voice bank in the following way:

1. Top Menu:
    Create New Pack
    Change LSB

Click New Pack and give it a name and select an image

Bottom Menu:
    Create Normal Voice
    Select the new Voice and Rename

Repeat bottom menu to create as many Voices as you like.  You can change the PC number if you like to select just your favorite Voices. They don't have to be in the order of Voices 000 - 127

In my test I created 7 Multis for the Motif Rack XS.  Since the Motif uses the same MSB 063 for  all Voice banks and the Multi bank (LSB 68)  this works great for me.  Personally, I would rather have the 1100 Voices, 128 Multis, 6630 arpeggios, and multiple DSP processors on the Motif than the Yammex... which is far more limited.

The one thing that is is important is to create a custom MIDI configuration when you use an external keyboard or sound module.  I'm still working on that and will post the settings here once I've go it figured out.  It involves Local Off, send receive messages, etc so we can use the external Voices with styles or MIDI song files.

More later,
Joe H

PS: There is always something new to learn!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:50:18 AM by Joe H »

Tankdave

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:48:25 AM »
??? It sounds like : "there is a way to expand Genos sounds beyond 1.8GB expansion limit"

It sure does, but if you don't even know what an LSB is...  :(

I am following though because my 1.8GB is already full.  :-\

Need a cheaper way than this V3 box too.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:52:13 AM by Tankdave »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:14 AM »

... The one thing that is is important is to create a custom MIDI configuration when you use an external keyboard or sound module.  I'm still working on that and will post the settings here once I've go it figured out.  It involves Local Off, send receive messages, etc so we can use the external Voices with styles or MIDI song files.

More later,
Joe H

The Motif has become a very powerful extension of my PSR S970.  I have been working on the integration of the arranger (S970) and the Motif for some time.  There are many things we can do using the 2 instruments together (as one instrument).  The dummy Voice bank was holding me up.  So I will produce a document: "Integration of the Motif and Arranger - A Users Guide.

This will include screen shots of the keyboard and YEM and in-depth details on setting things up via MIDI and a custom MIDI configuration for the arranger. Other topics will include:

- Creating a dummy Voice bank for the Motif Voices and Performances
- Using the Left Voice and OTS with the dummy bank when playing Performances
- Using the Motif Voices for R1 / R2
- Playing the Motif Arps using the Arranger Voices
- Playing the arranger Arps using the Motif Voices
- Using the Motif Performances in place of the Multi Pads
- Other (yet to be determined)

The techniques I will outline will apply to other external sound sources as well (with some limitations)

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:34:06 AM by Joe H »

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 03:08:00 AM »

Exactly, which is much much more important then this specific module (which still sounds great, ad does have some great sounds out of the box)

I own a few modules (motif xs, gemini, integra7 and Prophet 8)..
And i use them way less then i would want to..
If you could set up the arranger to choose voices by name on the arranger this would be great..
And incredible user friendly..

So i am much more interested in the procedure Uli discribed then in the module itself..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 03:31:25 AM »
Bachus,

Keep in mind that YEM only supports a MSB of 063 for normal Voices and 062 for Drum Kits.  The folks who designed the Yammex sound module with support for these MSB and LSB messages.  As I mentioned above, your Motif XS will work just great but the other instruments may not because of this limitation.

Joe H

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 04:43:56 AM »
Keep in mind that YEM only supports a MSB of 063 for normal Voices and 062 for Drum Kits.  The folks who designed the Yammex sound module with support for these MSB and LSB messages.  As I mentioned above, your Motif XS will work just great but the other instruments may not because of this limitation.

If the convenience of selecting external voices from the host keyboard is of enough importance to you to spend a bit more money, presumably you could use a device such as MIDI Solutions 'Event Processor', which could change the MSB transmitted from the host from 063 (or even 062) to whatever value your external equipment uses, and pass this on to it instead.  It could also filter out any channel or global events that you might not want to send with the note data from the host keyboard.

Regards

Ian

Bachus

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 04:44:46 AM »
Bachus,

Joe H

Thanks Joe, makes me wonder why things like this are often limited in usefullnes by the creators..

When you look imside the ppf files, you can see that all the real configuration information is written in XML..  it would be possible to edit this part of the files with an editor...  looks like all thses ppf files do is wrap a shell around the core XML part..

With the right editor, you can edit these files.. takes time tough..

Bachus

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 04:50:48 AM »
If the convenience of selecting external voices from the host keyboard is of enough importance to you to spend a bit more money, presumably you could use a device such as MIDI Solutions 'Event Processor', which could change the MSB transmitted from the host from 063 (or even 062) to whatever value your external equipment uses, and pass this on to it instead.  It could also filter out any channel or global events that you might not want to send with the note data from the host keyboard.

Regards

Ian

That can also be dome with several PC programs.. 
currently i use mainstage as host for the modules..
Which also works..

But what i would love to see is that the arranger itselves becomes the true center of the setup
Like one would expect from a workstation in 2018..

On top of that as allways i am very interested in the technollogy, and its possibilities
Incurrently don’t own a yamaha arranger..  but then, thats not a reason for not being interested.

Thanks for your tip, i think it indeed would work.

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »
With the right editor, you can edit these files. Takes time though.

Amen!

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-voice-editing-yem/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-voice-editing-xml-notepad/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-voice-editing-blending-the-split-point/

Part 2 demonstrates using XML Notepad to edit Genos (UVF) voice files and where to find them.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: pchan

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »
Thanks Joe, makes me wonder why things like this are often limited in usefullnes by the creators..

When you look imside the ppf files, you can see that all the real configuration information is written in XML..  it would be possible to edit this part of the files with an editor...  looks like all thses ppf files do is wrap a shell around the core XML part..

With the right editor, you can edit these files.. takes time tough..

Yamaha has used the MSB 063 for many instruments other than the Motif as far back as the 1990s.  Instruments like the CS6x keyboard and  the hardware dance pattern generator RM1x Sequencer- Remixer are examples.

If what you say is correct, then there would be no limitations for certain .ppf files loaded into YEM but we are talking about creating a new pack from scratch within YEM.  If it is possible to edit the .ppi file in the same way you are suggesting, then that would be a possibility.  Otherwise Ian's idea would be best solution... but would not work for multiple external instruments which use different MSB- LSB meassages.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:56:58 AM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 02:12:27 AM »
I made a Dummy Voice file for YEM (attached) with instructions on how to make your own and used the dummy Voice template I created.  Remember this can only be used for external instruments like the Yammex module or the  Motif line of keyboards and sound modules that use the MSB 063 LSB xxx in the Voice message.

It is important to set the LSB right away before you start editing Voice names. and you may want to "Export the file each time you work on it so you don't loose your work.

Joe H

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:47:29 AM by Joe H »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 02:20:42 AM »
Here's  a screen shot of the Dummy Pack in YEM.

Joe H

Jamist

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
This is interesting.  There’s nothing new about controlling other stuff via midi, of course.  And with the explosion in virtual instruments, if you have a reasonably powerful laptop, you can do amazing stuff without spending tons of money.  BUT this goes a step further, by letting you integrate the voices into the keyboard via a neat bit of razzle-dazzle with YEM.  Very cool.

Of course, $600 isn’t cheap.  And the US presence for this seems to be pretty small.  It’ll be interesting to see how it works out.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
I only paid $700.00 USD for a good condition used Motif Rack XS, which in my opinion goes far beyond the Yammex module in terms of Motif's legendary Voices, DSPs, 4 live arpeggiators running in a (up to) 16 part Performance.  Lots of good sounds and a full blown Voice Editor allows me to get at the Element level for editing sounds (if I choose to do that). And last but not least, I now can create a dummy Voice bank that I can load into my S970 to call up Motif Voices to play in place of S970 Voices and apply those Motif Arps to boot.

It's a bigger bang for the buck.

Joe H
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 01:48:02 PM by Joe H »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »
Here is my example for the integration of the iPad apps iGrand and iLectric. Works very well.

(In this case, the bank change messages are not relevant. Only the program change messages are used by the app.)

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
I made a Dummy Voice file for YEM (attached) with instructions on how to make your own and used the dummy Voice template I created.  Remember this can only be used for external instruments like the Yammex module or the  Motif line of keyboards and sound modules that use the MSB 063 LSB xxx in the Voice message.

It is important to set the LSB right away before you start editing Voice names. and you may want to "Export the file each time you work on it so you don't loose your work.

Joe H

Oops!  I took a look at this file again in YEM... the Voice numbers were NOT in order.  I have corrected the error.  Attached is a new Dummy Voice Template with all 128 Voices in the correct order. Sorry for the inconvenience for those you downloaded the first file.

Joe H

Offline markstyles

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
It looks promising. However I tried to contact them via their link on the site.. I got the message, 'invalid email address'.  This is a big WARNING sign.
Also the fact there is so little info on their site, no demo sounds..  I'm not saying it is not what it is presented as.. But I have been burned over the years, by 'vapor ware'. or by sites, that could not deliver what they presented.

I am somewhat unclear. Does anyone here actually have one?  Anyone who buys this, I would love to hear your evaluation of it. 

Over the years, I have also used a number of external MIDI hardware, Integra - 7, Motic XS rack, Korg M3. While I love the variety.. something, wired into Genos, has it's appeal..  Using external devices, and virtual instruments (thru DAW), is very helpful, but it is extra work and does slow down the creative flow a bit..

Offline Marty

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 01:20:14 AM »
Hi,

A German presentation of the Yammex module. Unfortunately mostly speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD18Eb8F3tQ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 04:59:11 AM »
I have working on my Motif Rack XS dummy User Voice bank and so far I picked out about 40 of my favorites.  I've updated the dummy bank in YEM writing the correct Voice names.  I just installed this pack along with my other packs and can say that when I select a Motif Voice to play along with my styles it works flawlessly as if the Motif Voices are part of the S970. Having a Voice Bank installed on my S970 is so much easier than selecting the Voices from the Motif Rack front panel.

8)  :)

Joe H

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:58:39 PM by Joe H »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
Hi,

A German presentation of the Yammex module. Unfortunately mostly speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD18Eb8F3tQ

I have been there at this workshop. The Yammex does exist and the developer is a serious person. The delivery is scheduled starting at July 2018. So I think we can trust in the product. ;)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the Yammex PPF, which is a normal PPF with self made user voices.

For example: "V3 EP-Dyno54.01" sends MSB=063, LSB=54, PC=01. That's all.
So MSB is fixed, LSB from 0 to 127 and PC from 0 to 127 ?

So 128 assignable banks of 128 sounds ? (16384 external sounds ?)

Am I right ?

Offline voodoo

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
So this YAMMEX thing is a sound module only and does not have styles right?

Offline voodoo

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
Yes. Only sounds.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Kokoriz

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
Yes. Only sounds.

Thank you voodoo!

Bachus

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »
Bachus,

Joe H

Definitely important..  this disqualifies the V3sounds Sonority XXL
I found also a module “deebach blackbox” which uses 121 and 120 as MSB..

Sadly i see no reason for yamaha to keep this MSB restriction inside Genos.
Unless they want to keep people from integrating their Genos with other brands..

Offline Joe H

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
Bachus,

The Yamaha Analog plug-in card has 2 banks of Preset Voices.  MSB 036 - LSB 000 and MSB 036 - LSB 001.  I created dummy banks in YEM and assigned those banks using LSBs 000 and 001.

I bought a midi solutions Event Processor to remap the MSB 063 to 036 for those analog card Voices in my MU128.

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

I placed the Event Processor just before the MIDI In on the MU128 so it doesn't effect the Motif Rack SX.  You can do this for any external sound module or keyboard, but you need a Event Processor for each external instrument.  The thing is you must assign the correct LSB in YEM, because there doesn't seem to be a way to program the Event Processor remap both the MSB and LSB. (I could be wrong about that)

The software to program the Event Processor is FREE... you can download it here and check it out.  The software is portable so it doesn't have to be installed.

http://www.midisolutions.com/progtool.htm

The scripts are in the RTF format. There are example templates provided you can look at, then try creating your own to see if you can accomplish what you want.  You can write up to 10 different settings per script, as I stated above, if you want to access different external instruments using dummy expansion packs you will need a separate processor for each instrument.

A dummy expansion pack is simply a pack without wave forms. Create a new Voice pack and simply type in the Voice names for your external sound module/instrument voice bank and save.  When you install the dummy pack it will show up the same as any other expansion pack.  When you select a Voice for your external instrument, Genos will transmit the MSB  LSB and Program Change over MIDI and call up the Voice in the external instrument.

I have my Proteus sound module, Motif Rack SX, MU128, and computer all patched into an audio mixer. The audio Out is plugged into my S970 Aux In so the audio from all my sound modules and computer goes thru my S970 and can be recorded to the on-board USB audio recorder. 

So... when I choose the analog Voices for my AN card, or the Motif, I can hear all sounds though my headphones or speakers on the S970. It's perfect integration of these external instruments as if they were expansion packs.  The one limitation is the external Voices can only be used as R1 Voices.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how you can use the V3sounds Sonority XXL.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:48:50 PM by Joe H »

Bachus

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 06:23:11 AM »
Thanks Joe..

Interesting tool that midi processor..

i did some more research on the sonorrity
Seems there isnt that much difference in the sound selection compared to the Yammex.
Whats most important to me, they have the same 2 piano’s (steinway and bösendorfer) that been peaking my interest for the module for so long..

I have made a set of midi voices in yem..
I use that the controll the GSI Gemini module
Which is rather easy as it doesnt support bank changes at all and only has 128 presets.. and 2 midi channels..
So MSB and LSB have no influence on the module..
its currently my only module..

I have my Roland jupiter 80 up for sale right now and still dont know what road to walk..
Adding an 88 key for piano again.
Or sticking to just the genos, and getting the yammex for more diversity in piano sounds..
For synths, i think the ipad covers all my needs..

The following users thanked this post: OmbDave

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 10:00:56 AM »
Hi
Why do they not just have Yammex soundpacks for the Genos ??
Save all that hardware and all the fuss.

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Bachus

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
Hi
Why do they not just have Yammex soundpacks for the Genos ??
Save all that hardware and all the fuss.

All the Best
John

No, because a yamaha sound pack of 110MB costs €100, this whole hardware instrument costs €450 and comes with 4GB of samples..  its cheaper... and works just like internal sounds...  and my 3gigs are allready allmost full..

Its no fuss, but its hardware. You just hide it under your desk and never look at it again, works like internal voices..

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »
Hi Bachus
Are the sounds vastly different to what we already have on the Genos.
I have a raft of vst like Arturia , Korg Collection and sampletank 4.
All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline RoyB

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Hello John

I have the version1 Yammex with my Tyros 5. It has 15,000 sound samples in its own 4GB flash memory and 770 sounds. It connects to the keyboard via a MIDI cable and you also need to connect its audio out to the keyboard audio in or to a mixer in order to hear the sounds.

One of the main benefits is that you get all these new sounds without using up the expansion memory on the keyboard. Installation via YEM does require some work in that you have to assign specific LSB values to each voice bank. Basically installtion via YEM installs very small voice 'stub' files in the keyboard expansion memory that call up the sounds in the external module. However, you don't have to install by using YEM at all, as alternatively you can just copy a set of USER VOICE data (which you can download) into your User area or onto a USB stick which you can then just simply select from your screen, and it is much simpler to do this.

As to the sounds, there are some good quality sounds amongst them that, in my opinion, improve on some of the Tyros 5 voices, and in particular I think the Yammex acoustic pianos are an improvement on the Tyros and Genos internal pianos. However, if you are very particular about playing very high quality piano sounds, there are better solutions to consider. So, you get some very good quality sounds (but there are also some duds), but probably most don't improve on what you have already in your Tyros or Genos. However, rather than considering the Yammex overall on the basis on whether its sounds are better or worse than what you already have, I think it is better considered on the basis that it offers some new sounds and a larger variety of good quality (different) sound options and variations to choose from, some of which I would say are more 'playable' than the internal keyboard equivalents.

The Yammex is best suited for live playing and you can easily assign its sounds to the right and left hand parts and adjust them as normal. However, I would say it is less suited for when you are working with MIDI recordings. Because it relies on MIDI to transmit data on MIDI channels 1 to 4,  when using it with MIDI files there is additional MIDI configuration required, and there are some limitations and concessions that you also need to be mindful of as you can only use the Yammex voices on channels (or tracks) 1 to 4 - and I find that often you need to keep reselecting them after saving the MIDI file.

So, I would say that if you are working with a DAW and MIDI recordings then it has its limitations and there are better options available thatt are better suited to that type of application.

Regards

Roy

Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
Hi Roy
You are right . Expanders are better for the live situation and probably more stable than software on a stage.
For me ,i do not play out or seek stardom at 69, so the home studio is where i will stay.
The Arturia collection, and Korg collection including the Triton  and Sampletank/Syntronic is unbelievably brilliant and ample for my needs.
I used to have an old Technics KN2000 and a Yamaha fm expander TX81z and a Roland MT32 in the old days. ;D

All the best
john :)

Bachus

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »
Hi Bachus
Are the sounds vastly different to what we already have on the Genos.
I have a raft of vst like Arturia , Korg Collection and sampletank 4.
All the Best
John

Yes.. they add a lot...
- piano’s offer a different type of piano sound, Steinway and bosendorfer, they are darker and less bright then the yamaha, they are suited for solo piano parts much more then the bright yamaha sound that works better in a mix.
- organs and accordeons, are an improvement too..
- the strings and pads offer sounds that the Genos does not have..
- same goes for the orchestral instruments, not better or worse but different..

Atleats that is what the reviews i read say...

So yes, there is a lot to look forward too..

For me just the 2 grand piano’s are worth it..

Unless i decide to buy a new 88 key compagnion for my Genos.

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 05:18:49 AM »
Yesterday I made two PPF packs, one for "iGrand Piano" for iPad, and one for "iLectric Piano" for iPad. Now I can select piano and e-piano voices on my iPad easily from my Genos.
This is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do... not those particular apps, but two iPad apps.

Even after reading this thread (and related threads like the one at https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44739.0.html ) I am vague about exactly how you did this, and exactly what the final result is.

When you say you "can can select piano and e-piano voices on my iPad easily from my Genos," -- how? Do these patches which call up iPad sounds (and silent "dummy" sounds for the internal sound engine) appear as User Voices, which you can make part of Registrations? Or are they displayed/invoked some other way?

If you have two iPad apps loaded (for now, let's just assume they are iGrand and iElectric, as you did it), it would seem that the only way you could have both apps available to be played but NOT have them always play together (or always respond in unison to a given Program Change) would be to set the two apps to receive on two different MIDI channels. But in all this conversation about entering MSB/LSB/PC, there's been no reference to being able to specify a MIDI channel to send that information on. So am I correct in thinking that the MIDI channel is determined by which Part of a Registration you load one of these iPad sounds into? In that case, assuming you are using the default MIDI assignments (e.g. Right 1, 2, and 3 transmit on MIDI channels 1, 2, and 3 respectively), then if you had (for example) iGrand set to respond on MIDI channel 2 and iElectric set to respond on MIDI channel 3, then your iGrand sounds would only be usable if you loaded them into "Right 2" and your iLectric sounds would only be usable if you loaded them into Right 3," is that how you do it?

If the sound module listens to bank numbers, it is getting interesting, since user voices in YEM are bound to MSB 063, while the LSB is assignable. But I have no iPad sound program that listens to bank numbers, so I did not try to solve this.
If an iPad app has no more than 128 recallable presets, then bank numbers don't matter. If an app has more then than, then there will be an MSB and an LSB (in addition to the Program Change parameter). It sounds like, if you're lucky, the MSB for the sound you want in that case will be 063... but if it's not (and you want to use YEM which fixes the MSB at 063), there are iPad apps that can receive the fixed 063 MSB the Genos would be sending and convert it to the number you want it to be, before passing it along to your app of choice (iLectric or whatever). So that may not be too problematic.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2022, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi
I still say combine the Genos with VST, "Skies the limit"!! :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:47:11 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2022, 10:10:02 PM »
I still sas combine the Genos with VST, "Skies the limit"!! :)
Yes, that's basically what I'm talking about trying to do. It would be the same process for a pair of iPad apps as it would be for, say, a pair of VSTs running on a Surface Pro. Either way, then, the question is how easily you can configure the Genos to play specified external (iOS or VST) sounds at will, and mix-and-match those sounds with the internal Genos sounds in a Registration.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »
Hi Scott

Using vst and the Genos great for recording.
If i was a live player, i would go for a Genos and a keyboard sample player like the Modex7.
I would say to Bachus that a Modex 7 or 8 would be better than the Yamex.
You could then use lots of samples from Sample Robot to expand any sound.
Just rip vst's.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 10:55:22 AM by ugawoga »