Author Topic: Genos plus Roland GoPianop61??  (Read 3805 times)

Offline terryB

Genos plus Roland GoPianop61??
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:09:30 AM »
Hi. I've been thinking about adding a top keyboard above the Genos, as I had with my previous 61 note Tyros models. That keyboard was an Evolution computer type with Midi which could play Tyros sounds (you could set it up to play R3 sounds which would play from the upper keyboard even if it was switched off on the lower Tyros). When I switched to 76 note T5 (now Genos), I went to just having a single Keyboard.

The Evolution keybed had a poor keypress feel so I don't want to use that again.
I've been looking online at a Roland GoPiano61 which would fit between my wall mounted powered speakers and has its own internal voices, but I don't know if it will play Genos voices though Midi.

From the specifications regarding Midi it gives:

* Conforms to GM2

* Bluetooth Ver 4.0

* USB Micro.B (Midi)

I telephoned a store and asked if it could be Midi connected to another keyboard and he said not (it did not have Midi in/out connections).
However he did not sound sure enough for me to give up on this as a possibility.

Any member have any info on what the connection possibities arre with the above mention Micro.B USB socket  :-\

Cheers
Terry

keynote

Re: Genos plus Roland GoPianop61??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »

Any member have any info on what the connection possibities arre with the above mention Micro.B USB socket  :-\

Cheers
Terry

I have no personal experience playing the Roland GoPiano but since it has no 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT connectors I don't think it will work for what you have in mind. The USB connector on the GoPiano is a Micro USB connector used for connecting to a computer. There are other midi keyboard controllers that will work such as the Akai Professional MPK261 61-Key Controller that does have MIDI I/O. Here is the link in case you're interested: Akai Professional MPK261 Keyboard Controller

Mike

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline terryB

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Mike. Looks like its a no go  :-\

I will take a look at your Akai suggestion

Cheers
Terry

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
Hi Terry --

Sounds like you've already come to a decision. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the GO:PIANO based on my experience with GO:KEYS:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/roland-gokeys-first-impressions/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/roland-gokeys-is-gonekeys/

Roland did a good job with the sound (at that price point), but the key-bed is kind of wretched. Yamaha's low-cost offerings (e.g., Piagerro) are better built than the GO keyboards.

All the best -- pj

Offline terryB

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:32:11 AM »
Thanks for your response Paul

Another possibility could be a Korg TRITON tactile-49 which I came across on the web. In a review it seems as if it has a 5 pin midi output (is that the right way round to play Genos ?  :P). It also has its own array of inbuilt sounds.

If you have any info on this I would be grateful for your thoughts

Cheer
Terry

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:33:18 PM »
Hi Terry --

I have a Taktile-49 and sometimes use it as a basic controller next to my PC and have used it as a battery-powered rehearsal keyboard:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/triton-taktile-snap-review/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/triton-taktile-more-thoughts/

Some folks believe it has the same keybed (although shorter) as the Krome, which people either love or hate. I find the key bed to be OK although I'm not as comfortable playing for an extended period of time, preferring Genos, S950 or MOX6.

The old Triton sounds are useful, but the built-in effects are kind of tame. Although it's possible to tweak patches using the front panel controls, there isn't a user patch memory. Everything is lost at power down.

As a controller, it would have one major limitation in tandem with Genos. The Taktile cannot send a full MSB/LSB/PC# patch change in one button press. You only get PC#. I brought this limitation to Korg's attention and their reply was, roughly, "Too bad for you."  :(

The Taktile is seeing less use these days. I only have two hands.  ;)

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
Whoops, forgot to answer your question.

Yep, the Taktile-49 has 5-pin MIDI out and it should work just fine with Genos.

Also, forgot to mention -- I find the Triton Taktile's audio output to be a little noisy. Seems like some noise gets into the audio signal from the digital electronics.

-- pj

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 02:11:53 AM »
Hey thanks for that info Paul, you have given me something to think on.
You certainly know stuff  :) :)

Cheers
Terry