Author Topic: PSR-E463 -- Almost there!  (Read 16430 times)

Offline SciNote

PSR-E463 -- Almost there!
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »
Okay, I went to the local music store today and saw three PSR-E463 keyboards bulk stacked on display.  Unfortunately, they did not actually have any opened to demo.  As they were getting ready to close in just 15 minutes, and I am not ready to buy anything, I did not want to have them go through the trouble of opening and displaying a model right before they closed.  But these buggers do exist, and so if anyone else is near a music store, you may want to check it out and see if they have any to display.  Otherwise, my next day off is Sunday, so if I have time, I'll try to get back there and see if they put one out to demo.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline vbdx66

Re: PSR-E463 -- Almost there!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
Hi Bob,

WoW ! So these E463 REALLY do exist after all  8) I find this so frustrating that there are so few demos of the thing for the time being.

Since I want a portable keyboard again on top of my not-quite-portable DGX 650 I am currently hesitating between the following boards :

- Used PSR E433 for € 100 (had it some years ago and enjoyed it immensely)
- New PSR E453 (the shops are trying to get rid of them) for about € 250
- Used PSR S650 for € 200
- Used Korg PA300 for € 300

It’ll probably be the PSR E433 or 453, though, because of the live knobs and of this forum  ;)

The only thing that might have me consider the PSR E463 would be if it had new sounds and styles, which apparently it does not have, or a better keybed than the E433.

Be sure that if you go back to that shop to try the PSR E463, you’ll have an extensive audience on this forum to read about your experience  :)

Best Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
EDIT: I just saw that the Casio ma-x300 is on sale for € 300 so I guess it might be addded to my list, too. I guess that at this price it is a bargain, but it is sadly also probably the sign that this keyboard has been a commercial failure because it is, let’s say, “atypical”.

Regards,

Vinciane

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
Ma'am,
MZ-X300 is not something you would like, especially if you are a Yamahian. Feature wise it is great board, but some of the sounds bugged me a lot.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
@AnupamEnosh

Sir,

I watched some of the demo videos on the Casio mz-x 300 and was quite impressed by the features which reminded more of the PSR S670 and Korg PA 300. But you stated exactly what I am fearing: that I will still like the sounds of the Yamahas better.

Although they have far less features and only two variations styles, do you think that the PSR E4xx for about the same price still make a better buy because of their sounds? I particularly like the organs, tenor and soprano sax, sweet trumpet as well as the three flutes, these sounds are well suited for jazz tunes.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
- Used PSR S650 for € 200 ?
4 style variations + 4 OTS settings  :)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
Yes but no Live knobs  :( I find that the possibility to control some DSPs Live is a great plus to the PSR E453. Also is there a way on the PSR S650 to mute style tracks live while playing? This point is critical for me. I also like the USB audio feature of the PSR E453.

Regards,

Vinciane.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »
EDIT: I just saw that the Casio ma-x300 is on sale for € 300 so I guess it might be addded to my list, too. I guess that at this price it is a bargain, but it is sadly also probably the sign that this keyboard has been a commercial failure because it is, let’s say, “atypical”.

Regards,

Vinciane
https://youtu.be/2J3P-oAt57o
Here is a video that I saw months back, the Piano and Strings sound great, but rest of the voices are ONLY GOOD and not great for its price. I am not a Casio hater but the only thing they developed the best, is the Privia DPs.

pquenin

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:21 AM »
In the PSR-S650 manual you can read this :
This instrument has a Mixer feature that lets you control on/off settings for each track,
or adjust the Volume, Pan, Reverb Level and Chorus Level for each track during Song
or Style playback. By editing these parameters, you can change the feeling of the Song
or Style.
You can use the 8 buttons below the screen to mute/unmute the tracks.

I love this function on the PSR-E453 too.

With regard to the Casio MZ-X300, I have bought this one at 300€ at Music Store Professional, but I have just sent it back because of a problem with some of the keys of the keyboard that have a bad response to the pressure in certain occasions.

But what is obvious to me is that most of the sounds of the Casio are way better than on the PSR-E453 generally.
Of course there are some cool sounds on the PSR, that can compete with the sounds on the Casio, but most of the sounds of the PSR are common and average.
On the PSR I am not able to find a "synth" sound that sounds like a synth, they have something "thin" and "plastic" in them that doesn't sound right.
The Casio have great synth sounds, in fact you just have the feeling that IT IS a synth.
And you can edit them more deeply : you have 3 envelopes and 2 LFOs, and a sofware editor, and the possibility to create your own sounds from your own samples.
The styles on the Casio are more diverse on my opinion, but the "fills" sometimes sounds not "right" to me.
What is great on the casio is that you can edit everything (sounds, styles, arpeggios, ...) and save your edits.
It also imports the Yamaha styles in 2 clicks, it's not officially documented but I have tested it and it works great.

I have played again in a local store on the PSR-S670 today and it's a real pleasure. The sounds are very good, and there is a modulation wheel, and for me it makes a difference. But no USB to HOST Audio.
Now that have I play enought on the PSR-S670, I can say that I prefer the S670 sounds and styles to the MZ-X300 ones, except for the pure "synth" sounds.
So I am waiting that Music Store refund me, and maybe I will buy the PSR-S670. I know that the Korg PA300 is a great competitor, but I can't find one here in my city to test it, and I feel more "Yamaha" that "Korg" in my heart, and I also appreciate this forum.

And I can sell you my PSR-E453 for 200€, I just bought it 2 month ago so it is in perfect condition.
I think I would not have looked for another keyboard if the PSR-E453 have a modulation wheel. I have tried to connect differnet Android or iOS apps to control it but with no success.
But this keyboard has USB to HOST Audio that I appreciate a lot, so I don't know what to do.
Maybe I must wait for an hypothetic PSR-S675 with USB to HOST Audio ? 

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:00:15 AM »
Hi pquenin,
I can see a Usb to host connectivity in the s650 but I don't know if it is just a midi connection though cause with the sounds that daw's have,I just use the keyboard as a midi and not audio.
https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/PSR-S650-Arranger-Workstation-Keyboard/pidYAM-PSRS650

The S series is one category above the E series.
Like the difference between the Tyros series and the S series.

All great keyboards in any case those that Vinciane distinguished for the budged she wants to give for a second keyboard.
Better having a lot of options and having trouble to choose than no options at all. ;D

Where is PJD or Arvacon to tell us which one has better speakers.so maybe better sound?

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
@ pequenin:
Thanks for all the input you gave on this various keyboards.

From what you are saying about the Casio MZ-X 300 keys, this is a confirmation of what I thoughtt: although it has numerous features, the build quality of this Casio is not so good. So I will not be considering the Casio any further. Also you are saying that the synth sounds are far better than on the Yamaha but I am not that interested in synth sounds, I am more looking for nice acoustic sounds for pop, jazz, film and Classical music. For instance I find that the Sweet! Classical flute is a nice addition to the sound palette of the PSR E453 (I have noticed that I have been extensively using the Sweet! and Cool! sounds of the PSR E433 when I had it and of the DGX 650).

I looked a bit at the specs and if you need modulation and nice guitar sounds, the Korg PA 300 might be what you are looking for, excepted that opposite to the Casio, the Korg unfortunately won’t read Yamaha styles. But all sounds and styles are fully tweakable, you can even edit your own drum kits. Here is the commercial video made by Korg when the PA 300 was released: IMHO the piano, guitar and synth used in the video sound quite well (but this guy knows how to play an arranger keyboard obviously).

https://youtu.be/bR4mhYFteSY

Maybe you can try the PA 300 somewhere before deciding between it and the PSR S670?

And if you really are missing the Mod wheel on the PSR E453, the Yamaha SoundController app for iPad might be what you are looking for. You can download it from the AppStore. It gives you a Pitch-Bend wheel and a mod wheel on your iPad. You simply need to connect your iPad to the keyboard via a USB printer cable and Apple Camera Connexion adapter. I have done it with the DGX and it works flawlessly.

As for your offer of buying your PSR E453, I am considering it but my choice is not made yet. If I go for it I will contact you through a private message. This is also a difficult choice because for the time being it would be very difficult for me to go to a music store and try the various instruments I have in mind. So it might be better for me to buy a new instrument on Internet so that I can send it back if I don’t like it.

As for the speakers is is not the main issue for me. It is always possible, when needed, to work with headphones or a PA system. There is also the possibility of using the speakers of my DGX 650 as the sound output for the second keyboard, since the DGX fortunately has an Aux In socket.

@ Panos: It is true that the PSR S series is one step above the E. But newer E keyboards might have features that older S keyboards don’t have, like the Audio USB for instance, or new styles. USB audio is great because it works both ways: for instance, you can connect an iPad to a PSR E453, launch the Korg iM1 app, and you have a Korg M1 in your PSR E453! See this video:

https://youtu.be/G8Cj7T8aaJo

What was great with the PSR S650 as opposite to the PSR E series was the possibility to add new sounds and styles. The Church Organ pack was esp. nice IMHO. Great for organ lovers on a budget.

Best Regards to all,

Vinciane.

pquenin

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
Hello Vinciane,
just want to add that the Casio MZ-X sounds are closer to the Yamaha Sweet! sounds than the old XG sounds.
And with the dedicated faders to control the drawbars of the organ, it's a great instrument for organ lovers.
However, the distorded guitar sounds are not as impressive than the ones found on the PSR-S670 or PA300.
Now, concerning the quality of the Casio, i can't say if it's a isolated problem with the one I had, or a more general problem.
Maybe this is why Music Store Professional sell them for 300€...
I have been on the Casio user forum and many people are happy with their MZ-X.

That said, the E453 offer one or more Sweet!, Cool! or Dynamic sounds in every sound category, and I must admit that we often use the same favorite sounds when we use a keyboard, so you can do a lot with a entry-level keyboard such as the E453.
I have an old iPodTouch and an iPad2 and unfortunately the Yamaha Sound Controller app required iOS 10 (this is what I get when I try to download it).
I will try the Android app "Augmented midi" ASAP.

Concerning the PSR-S670 vs PA 300, I have just read the Korg manual at midday and it can do a lot ! The 2 keyboards are very similar in terms of functionalities (and similar to what the Casio MZ-X300 can do). I had already seen this  PA 300 video, and also others comparing the PA 300 to the PSR-670 or Roland BK-5. My impression is that when it come to distorded guitar sounds, the PA 300 sounds better. I think that the onboard Korg's FX are more numerous and better.
But the PA-300 has no Audio IN, and since it has not USB to Host Audio, you can't use it as "speakers" for an external device or your computer.

I have to dig a bit more to see if I can go thru the PSR-E453 limitations by using it in combination with an external phone or tablet (modulation wheel, guitar amp simulators, virtual synths....).

pquenin

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 07:13:34 AM »

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Probably a mistake, 'cause now it states EUR 543.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

pquenin

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 01:26:10 AM »
Yes very strange, yesterday it was 291 € (and I have ordered one). A little after it was back to 543 €. This morning I have checked again and it was 291 €.
And now it has returned to 543 €. ???
It's the same link, but at 291 € the vendor was "histoiredelire", at 543 € it's "Amazon".
My order has been confirmed by Amazon, so I will see soon if it's a mistake or not...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:41:10 AM by pquenin »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 03:14:06 AM »
I can’t believe that I have missed that !!!!  :'( :'( :'(
I wonder whether it was a mistake or a clearance sale...
Congratulations for your purchase  8)  8) 8)

Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
That is a very good price for an S670.  I checked the US version of Amazon, and still saw the normal price of about $799.

As for the E463, I went back to the music store, and the E463's were still just bulk-stacked in boxes.  Really, this place needs to get its act together.  They even have a Montage 6 and a Korg PA4X -- some pretty pricey machinery -- and while those were open and on display, they were not powered up or hooked up to any audio components -- at least, that was the case as of yesterday.  When I worked in retail, when new goodies came in, the first thing I wanted to do is get those products displayed and hooked up so that I could learn how to use them, show them to customers, and sell them!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:42:03 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

pquenin

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
It was a mistake, Amazon has canceled my order just right now :-(

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
  :( :( :(
@pquenin if you look now on Leboncoin there is a S670 somewhere for € 250 near Nîmes I think.

Regards,

Vinciane.

pquenin

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »
@Vinciane : thank you for the information :-) I have bought this PSR-S670 at 250 €, I hope I will not have problems with this one...  But why haven't you bought it yourself ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:38:59 PM by pquenin »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
@lequenin:

Well, since I had to buy the keyboard without seeing it and he had to send it to me by post, I asked him for actual photos of the keyboard (because the photo published on Leboncoin was a generic one), so probably he found it easier to let you pick it up than sending me first the photos then the keyboard...

Bad luck for me and good luck for you, you’ll tell us more about the PSR S670 when you’ll have played it for some time. I am curious what you’ll think of it as compared with the PSR E453.

I wish you a lot of musical fun with your new keyboard,  8)

Regards,

Vinciane.

pquenin

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 12:39:34 AM »
I have not the keyboard yet, because I live in Annecy, so the guy has sent me the keyboard by post.
The package was already wrapped, so the guy has sent me a photo of a hole in the package to show that it was not empty.
So the only things I have seen right now is 2 or 3 keys of the PSR-S670.
I hope I will receive it this Saturday...

I have already played a lot on the PSR-S670 in local stores and it's really a great keyboard, It's a big step soundwise compared to the E453.
And it has all the great features that I had on the Casio MZ-X300.

So for the moment it's "wait and see" because I"m not a lucky man generally...

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 01:52:34 AM »
I don't think there is any alternative to S670 in its price range, yay there are some awesome Roland synths, but the offering by Yamaha is priceless. I wish I buy myself a Genos or its successor in near future.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:14 AM »
I have not the keyboard yet, because I live in Annecy, so the guy has sent me the keyboard by post.
The package was already wrapped, so the guy has sent me a photo of a hole in the package to show that it was not empty.
So the only things I have seen right now is 2 or 3 keys of the PSR-S670.
I hope I will receive it this Saturday...

I have already played a lot on the PSR-S670 in local stores and it's really a great keyboard, It's a big step soundwise compared to the E453.
And it has all the great features that I had on the Casio MZ-X300.

So for the moment it's "wait and see" because I"m not a lucky man generally...

Really strange... I thought the previous owner sold the keyboard to you because you were picking it up. If this is not the case, then probably if the keyboard was already wrapped up he didn’t want to open the package to take photos, which is the reason he sold it to you rather than to me. :o

I have had some problems on Leboncoin and Eaby in the past, so I have gotten rather (too?) cautious. I always ask for photos of the real item if they are not already published in the advert.

When you tried the PSR S670 in a shop, how was the keybed in comparison with that of the E453? This is a very important point for me, I’d rather buy a keyboard with less features but a better keybed (my first I strument as a kid was the family acoustic piano, which I played badly, but I got accustomed to a nice key feel that way).

The problem is that I am living 60 km from Perpignan and I dont drive, and all music shops with keyboards are out of the city centre, so it is a bit complicated to go there to try out the keyboards I am interested in and I have to rely on other people impressions.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 02:24:55 AM »
I don't think there is any alternative to S670 in its price range, yay there are some awesome Roland synths, but the offering by Yamaha is priceless. I wish I buy myself a Genos or its successor in near future.
Actually there is one alternative to the PSR S670, it is the Korg PA300. It has roughly the same features as the S670, plus fully editable sounds and styles (waow!) but minus the Live! knobs and our great forum, of course. But you might want to try it and compare it to the S670 if you get the chance.

Well... I am sure all of us would like to get either a Genos, or a PA4x, or both, if we had the opportunity.  8)

Regards,

Vinciane.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 04:02:09 AM »
When you tried the PSR S670 in a shop, how was the keybed in comparison with that of the E453? This is a very important point for me, I’d rather buy a keyboard with less features but a better keybed (my first I strument as a kid was the family acoustic piano, which I played badly, but I got accustomed to a nice key feel that way).
Undoubtedly S670 is superior in all aspects.
Actually there is one alternative to the PSR S670, it is the Korg PA300. It has roughly the same features as the S670, plus fully editable sounds and styles (waow!) but minus the Live! knobs and our great forum, of course. But you might want to try it and compare it to the S670 if you get the chance.
Korg PA 300 is quite an old model, and out of sales in India. In our country, instruments are launched quite later, and quickly get out of sales. I see the same case with Motif XF synths' sale in India. Sadly our music has become almost fully commercial these days, and there is very very limited scope for musicians ending up as well known artists.

Offline panos

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 04:54:04 AM »
Fully commercial music?
whaa whaa why are you saying this?
Are you making whaa whaa wild thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w

I like that part at 2:18.That's music my friend! (or whatever it is called...  ;D)
Oh! is there is there a Santana's music playing?
So I don't have to turn off the volume to watch the video then :)

pquenin

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 05:18:35 AM »
I don't think the PA300 is undoubtedly inferior to the S670, I think it's a great keyboard, but I have not found one here to test by myself, and its weakness is the connectivity, you don't have audio in for example...

pquenin

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 05:50:30 AM »

Well, I tend to be less sensitive than you to this aspect, I adapt myself to what I have. If I remember well the keybed of the PSR-S670 have just gave me the impression that everything was fine. Nothing have drawn my attention on this particular point.

And to be honest, it's the same with the E453's keybed. When I have bougth the Casio MZ-X300 then I have seen by comparison that the Yamaha keybed had a harder feel, but this has never been a problem for me. If there were not these comments here about the E453's keybed I would have never notice that there can be a problem about it. In comparison to the PSR-S670 I think that this latter as a smoother feel, but I have to check this the next time I go to the store.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Fully commercial music?
whaa whaa why are you saying this?
Are you making whaa whaa wild thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyaI4-5849w

I like that part at 2:18.That's music my friend! (or whatever it is called...  ;D)
Oh! is there is there a Santana's music playing?
So I don't have to turn off the volume to watch the video then :)
I'm from India. :)

Lisa

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:00 AM »
Hi there,

Well I had the E453 for about a week but it did mis out on a lot of things...
So returned it and after thinking long and hard between the S670 and the MZ-X3000 from Casio I bought the S670 and never regret it.
Styles from Yamaha where so much better and professional sounding, but the synthesizer in side the MZ-X3000 gave me a certain ring to it.
But finding out that you can make your own voices on the S670 and beeing making several packs for it..
Personally I am dissapointed in the new E463, same design and a few new options.

The new Casio CT-X 3000 and 5000 really did suprise me and the piano sound is really good...even better then the piano inside my S670.
Piano sounds in the 453 and the 670 are really dissapointment to my ears.
I can have better Piano sound out of Cubase Elements 8.
But even with the not so great Piano I really am happy with the S670.
And that is does not have Audio over USB I think really is a good thing because I always having trouble with these.
I just recorded on a professional USB sound card.
Sounds always good..

Best Regards,

Lisa

pquenin

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »
@Lisa, I now have a PSR-S670 and if you have made packs for it, can you share ?
Yes you can make your own voices in the PSR-S670, from your own samples, and it's great but I have not test it yet.
It was something possible too on the Casio MZ-X300.

I still have my PSR-E453, and I am moving some styles from it to the PSR-S670 because there were a few that I really love...

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
@pquenin:

How are you going to transfer the styles from the PSR E453 to the S670?

I am really curious to know that because to my knowledge the only way would be to play the style you want and record it in a MIDI file starting with the Intro, section A four measures with a C chord, section B four measures with a C chord, Ending, then using the software available on the main PSR Tutirial website to make a style from scratch from the MIDI file on your computer. A few years ago I thought of doing this with some styles I liked from the PSR E433 (which has many styles in common with the E453) but this was really to complicated.

Regards,

Vinciane.

pquenin

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2018, 05:52:01 AM »
@Vinciane, yes I am doing this, I have recorded Intro + Main A 8 measures + Main B 8 Measures + Main A 4 measures + Ending (I think I have done this to have the Fill A->B and Fill B->A). I have played with a Cm7. I exported to a Midi file and then made the style with the free Midi2Style software available from PSR Tutorial site.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
There are potentially two Intros, two Fill-Ins, and two Endings. So if you want all variations you should record two User Songs:

Intro>A
Main A
Fill A>B
Main B
Ending B

Intro>B
Main B
Fill B>A
Main A
Ending A

Or something similar. And some styles might not have both Intros and both Endings.

pquenin

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
Ok thanks, I was not aware of this...

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2018, 06:54:05 AM »
@pquenin:

Well put like this it seems simple but I am sure it is not. Also, don’t you have voice mapping problems when you are playing the style you « extracted » from the PSR E453 on the PSR S670? Or are the styles using only XG voices? Also if I remember, the major and minor versions of the Intros and Endings sometimes are different (they are using a different melody) so you might have to record the style once in major and once in minor to have both Intros and Endings

Are you considering sharing some of the styles you are recording? I have really been missing some of the styles of the PSR E433 and PSR E343 and they probably are on the PSR E453, too. In particular I liked very much AcousticJazz (there is one Acoustic Jazz style on the DGX 650 but it doesn’t sound the same at all), AcidJazz, JazzRock, Chillout and also Stadium Rock. I would be very happy to play them on the DGX 650.

By the way, which program are you using to record the style on the computer ?

Regards,

Vinciane.

pquenin

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:40 AM »
@Vinciane, I have recorded 10 styles from the E453 but none of those you like. And I have sold it now, so I can't record them anymore.
I have not converted all the midi files to styles yet. I use the free midi2style program of Jørgen Sørensen available here on psr tutorial.
For voice mapping you can change the mapping before saving to style if you don't like the result with the original sounds.
For Intros and Endings, I don't like this, so I only use little drums intros and endings.
When I will be satisfied with the result I will share them, no problem.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »
@pequenin:

So you sold the PSR E453, good news for you.  8)

Which DAW are you using on the computer to record the MIDI files? I am aware of midi2style for converting MIDI files to styles but I don’t have a lot of experience with MIDI recording, when I had the PSR E433 I only did audio recordings with Audacity (on the DGX 650 I can do live recordings directly on an USB stick so I have not been using Audacity for a few years now), not MIDI.

I don’t use the Intros and Endings all that much excepted when they really fit the song I have in mind but I find it is nice to have them with the style (most people on this forum are used to working with Intros and Endings), there are other ways to work with them also: you sometimes can use an Intro or Ending you like with another style, or even in the middle of a song.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline panos

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »
Hi Vinciane,
the long Intros and endings in preset styles usually contain pre-recorded chord progression so once you hit them the next chords are automated by the keyboard untill it plays all the bars of the Intro/Ending.
So you can play right hand melody with them but the automated chord depends upon the chord you were while you hitting them.
Sometimes we modify these parts so we can be able to change the chords on our will while we are playing (using the Style Creator function if the keyboard has it).
In Style Creator we can remove the event of "harmonic content" if we wish to do that.   
Long Intros and Endings with harmonic content can be done also with the midi2style program.
Of course these things ase you already said, are not too easy to handle.

pquenin

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
@Vinciane : yes, the PSR-E453 is sold, now I can concentrate on the PSR-S670 to discover its possibilities.
I have differents DAWs that can record MIDI (Reason, StudioOne, Tracktion, Mulab and I have to try Calkwalk now since it has became free).
But I directly saved as MIDI files on the PSR so I don't have to edit the events, just select the parts and tracks for the different elements of the style.

I think Cakewalk must be a good software for MIDI works because it was a MIDI sequencer before becoming a MIDI/AUDIO one.
More recent DAWs are more focused on AUDIO, for example they often miss an event list editor for MIDI, or don't handle sysex messages.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:16:47 PM by pquenin »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »
Hello again,

If I follow you correctly you record the MIDI directly on the USB stick plugged into the keyboard and do all the editing in midi2style so actually you don’t need any DAW for this particular type of work (style recording and editing)?

I am thinking of recording some of the styles of the DGX 650 to reuse them again on the DGX itself, that way I will be able to mute parts (in some styles I feel there are too many parts, for instance the pads in the Serenade waltz or the piano in some Jazz styles if I want to play the piano part myself), or work on the stereo image of the voices, etc.

Yes, I heard about Cakewalk now being free, I will try it out since you say it should a good software to work with MIDI.

Regards,

Vinciane.