Author Topic: Pad Category of Voices  (Read 1238 times)

Offline jdup

Pad Category of Voices
« on: July 22, 2023, 11:56:02 PM »
What does the "Pad" category of voices refer to? Is it an abbreviation?

I have always wondered.

Thanks, in advance.

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline BogdanH

Re: Pad Category of Voices
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 10:28:39 AM »
hi Jim,
Nobody replied so far, so here's my try... -keep in mind that english is not my 1st language.

"Pad" comes from "padding" and the way I understand it in this case, it means "background" sound. That can be, for example, strings or some synth sequence. Pad voices are usually not used for "main" voice (pad is addition to main voice). The idea is, to give certain "atmosphere" to music we play (i.e. R1=piano voice, R2=strings pad voice).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline jdup

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
Thanks, Bogdan. That makes sense.

It does seem to include a complex group of differing voices with that characteristic. That would also help to explain the name "multipad".

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 12:35:20 PM »
Bogdan has it correct. A PAD sound is a sustained or legato sound used to ‘pad’ out the overall sound. Although the word ‘multipad’ sounds like it should be associated, many multipads are not sustained or legato sounds, so I am not sure how that name came about. Seems logical it also is about padding out the overall sound although my guess is that it’s less about logic and just that they just needed a catchy name, and that was what they came up with.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
Multi Pads are some thing quite different as any voice can be used in them.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »
Eileen is right: when we discuss "pads", we should distinguish between normal pad voices and (multi) pad effects. When someone says "multi pad", then I assume set of voices that we can have in PAD (1-4) buttons.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 06:15:32 PM »
Pad is a commonly used general term in modern music, but multipad is just a term coined specifically for arrangers to describe a block of sounds/voices/phrases that can be programmed in a particular way. As I said in my earlier response the fact that word pad is contained in both might be more coincidence than any logical connection.
Mike

Offline jdup

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »
Thanks to all. This is very helpful.

Jim
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)