Author Topic: mixing on Genos  (Read 5343 times)

Offline ugawoga

mixing on Genos
« on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:37 AM »
Hi

I have just finished tidying up a song and now want to get the volume levels, panning and effects etc done

I turn up for example the chorus for channel 1 and put effects here and there then I save the song.

All boxes for this type of thing are ticked in setup.
My little problem is that when I recall the song ,the effects and  levels go back to square one.
Also playing a song In one go, all changes are on channel 1 what you play and when It comes to sound levels It is hard to program them so they are saved.
Do I have to do this in step edit???

Biggest problem is getting the levels and effects to be saved.
In future if I want a song done ,I will go for separate tracks and It is a pity that Right 1,2 and 3 have to all be Channel 1 to record .
It would be nice to play and the three tracks get layed down, then you can play a song straight through and record without messing up program changes as you can when all is on channel 1.
I am only talking about lead playing here. Nuances can be put on 5678 leaving the rest for styles.
Anyone getting this little problem of saving effects and levels to a song after a little tweaking.
Playing songs are great ,but it is this flaming mixing lark I have to master someday. "The pain "!!! :-[

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:35:10 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline panos

Re: mixing on Genos
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 02:06:37 AM »
Hi john,
I don't know if this topic can help you to change a midi file through the mixing console,
if that is what you want.
Of course the steps are maybe a little bit different on a Genos.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42733.msg337855.html#msg337855

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:17:19 AM »
Hi Panos

Just wondering after looking at what you said .
I wonder if I have to press the execute in setup every time I make a Change.
I thought once the boxes are ticked It will save automatically .
I suppose being a computer you may have to execute every time a change has been made.

I have just edited a song In Cubase and gradually getting used to the program.
Even when you go to the mixer in Cubase and make adjustments, the sliders stay where they are, but the sound always returns to the previous levels when returning to the start.
If you just touch a slider with a fractional move the adjusted sound plays as It should. That is almost impossible if you have several channels at once going. Or you are lightning fast. :-\
I think the only way is to go into System exclusive lists to make numerical adjustments.That is another area new to me, but slowly understanding. I wanted to change the panning but could not find that in the lists. So I think you may have to make a new line with a cc change. A little unsure at the moment and do not want to mess things up. I will have to practice with a dummy file sometime.
I also wonder if you put a song on record and do not touch the keys and make slider adjustments and effects whether it will record that information.

This is one thing that has niggled me for some time now and that resulted in me making quick adjustments whilst recording to wave file.That is trial and error though.
I have been getting in a pickle over this.

When you multi-track with vst instruments It is a lot easier than midi from keyboards like the Genos as It is more direct.

We need a mix master on this forum that can gently break us in with midi from these workstations as they can be touchy if you make wrong moves.

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:31:11 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:48 AM »
I don't have sliders on my keyboard to test it John,
but when I am recording from a midi to wav with keyboard's usb audio player,
I can call the mixing console and I can adjust changes while recording.
(e.g. lower the volume of a midi channel for few bars)
Those changes are been saved on the .wav file.
This thing with all those number in SYS/EX menu in song creator, I don't understand it much either...
But anytime you are changing something in the midi file with the mixing console you must press "execute" to save the changes.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:41:39 AM »
Hi Panos
EXECUTE !!! ;D

I got that now :P

All the best
John

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 04:44:22 AM »
Hi John,
On the keyboard you don't have to record everything to channel 1, in fact it's difficult to see how you could manage it at all using different voices.
Make sure you have the voice in say R1 (complete with edits, dsp etc if you wish, or not) then In the multi recording screen touch Record on the channel that you want eg. 3. Now touch the instrument icon on that channel and select the part you want to record, in this case R1, in the pop up window that appears. The instrument is substituted with the R1 voice and edits. You can elect to record 1 channel at a time or select as many as you want up to the 4 panel voices. Now record.
As panos says you need to perform execute if you edit post recording.
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
Hi Jon

I know you do not have to record everything to channel 1, but you have to record each channel with a channel 1 voice.

I thought It would be nice especially on the Genos to record Right 1, 2 and 3 similtaneously when playing a song and they go to say channel 1,2 and 3.  that is using registrations.
I can play a song through and split channel 1 up and slide what i want to a different track and that what i have been doing,but sometimes it takes the changes with it.
I have not really recorded separate channels  as I like to play straight through and do some minor mistake changes. Trouble with that is that all lead playing and changes are on channel 1
If I was doing a serious recording then separate tracks are a must, but I have not got that serious yet. I am putting more and more practice In at the moment.

I get the execute every time now as I thought that was a one time set up. I realize you have to tell a computer what to do ::)

All the best
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Hi
Thanks to all that has replied to me
I am starting to get results now.

All the best
John :P

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
Hi
Thanks to all that has replied to me
I am starting to get results now.

All the best
John :P

Hi John, it seems you have succeeded in what I am struggling with. Honestly the amount of work required to do such a relatively straight forward  minor thing as changing a sax on the melody to a trumpet  or reduce the amount of effects is one of the reasons I still have not made the switch from Tyros 5/6 to Genos in spite of all the things that constitute improvements.

It is somehow ironic that the STYLE CREATOR is a very significant improvement compared to the limited earlier possibilities  -  you can not only change the voices in the styles but make them sound in the right octave which is a sine qua non for changing the instrument.
Or have you found an easy intuitive way of tweaking midi files ?

Cheers

Kaarlo