Author Topic: 3 GRAND PIANOS  (Read 3814 times)

Offline voodoo

3 GRAND PIANOS
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »
There is an interesting pack

3 Grand Pianos For Genos / Tyros / PSR-S (https://www.phantasmusic.com/grandpianos)

Has anybody tried this packs? Sounds interesting.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline soundphase

Re: 3 GRAND PIANOS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »

3 Grand Pianos For Genos / Tyros / PSR-S (https://www.phantasmusic.com/grandpianos)

Uli
Very good sounds, but 4 different velocities are not enough

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »

In the Yamaha preset voices, the Concert Grand (in the legacy voices) has three layers, the Grand Piano (in the regular voices) has two layers. So having four layers is not that bad. ;)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline soundphase

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:01:22 AM »
In the Yamaha preset voices, the Concert Grand (in the legacy voices) has three layers, the Grand Piano (in the regular voices) has two layers. So having four layers is not that bad. ;)
Do you mean the CFX grand piano in the regular voices ?

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »

No, this information is only available for the non super-articulation voices. You find this information in YEM when working with custom voices:

* ConcertGrand: 3 layers (velocity 2-89/90-103/104-127)
* GrandPiano: 2 layers (only 1 velocity layer, layer 1 is left, layer 2 is right)
* BrightPiano: 2 layers
* PopGrand: 3 layers
* RockPiano: 3 layers
* Warm Grand: 2 layers

So the ConcertGrand (and all variants of it) have 3 velocity layers, and the GrandPiano (and all variants of it) have only one velocity layer. The sound variation of velocity is programmed by filter control (low velocity -> low cutoff frequency). And the variants are made by equalizer settings.

Maybe the prime voices have more velocity layers. But I am not sure.
Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »

P.S.: For the Tyros5, the non-SA GrandPiano has been in the regular voices. Now for the Genos, it has been moved to legacy folder.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline CMS Sounddesign

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »
Hi !

The number of layers does not say anything about the dynamic zones. Yamaha often uses the Layers only for the different keyzones because different envelopes are needed.
Multiple dynamic levels can also be easily realized in a single layer.

Greets/Peter

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »

Uli

Thr price is certainly more than reasonable.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 06:38:18 AM »

Just for compare ..

The CFX grand in Genos is 8 layers..
The CFX grand in the MODX/Montage is 20 layers (it uses 4 voices)

8 layers in 2019 is allready on the low end for a grand piano if you want to play it as a solo piano..
For piano's in backing tracks, a 4 layer piano might still cut it for a background piano riff..

High end piano's often use a mix of sampling and modelling these days, to become ultra realistic.

Altough an other point of view may state : If you like it, buy it and play i, its still your ears that have the final decision.
At that price, you can not go wrong..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:40:13 AM by Bachus »
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »
Hi folks --

Interesting discussion.

As a native English (er, American) speaker, the word "layer" is taking the discussion in a confusing direction. I suggest using Yamaha's AWM voice architecture terminology. On Genos/Tyros/PSR, a voice consists of one to eight elements.

Ordinarily, we think of "one voice element, one waveform" where a waveform is exactly one dynamic level (velocity range). However, I believe the low-level AWM voice architecture is more capable than that. On MODX/Montage, a MODX/Montage waveform can have multiple dynamic levels. This capability is exposed (implemented) in YEM.
I agree with Peter.

All the best -- pj

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:11:27 PM by pjd »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
Well Yamaha uses the term layers in its description of the PLG-150 AP plug in board.  This seller on eBay copied the wording straight from the box that the card came in.

Yes... Filters mapped to velocity are used to create dynamic nuances for many MIDI instruments.  Layers refers to the Voice Elements

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Piano-Plug-In-Board-PLG150-AP/173770138443?hash=item287581e34b:g:yE4AAOSwakJcUhSo:rk:1:pf:0

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:55:54 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Bachus

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:01:42 PM »
Well Yamaha uses the term layers in its description of the PLG-150 AP plug in board.  This seller on eBay copied the wording straight from the box that the card came in.

Yes... Filters mapped to velocity are used to create dynamic nuances for many MIDI instruments.  Layers refers to the Voice Elements

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Piano-Plug-In-Board-PLG150-AP/173770138443?hash=item287581e34b:g:yE4AAOSwakJcUhSo:rk:1:pf:0

Joe H

Are they serious about that price?

I can imagine how the vl, fm and An boards add something interesting synth wise..

But those Apís? They once where top, but for todays standards they are average at best, and every modern instrument is atleast at that level for acoustic pianoís..

An element is not equall to a layer..
A layer indicates for a single voice the number of sepperate vellocity layers
An Element can be more things then just a vellocity layer..  like keyoff sample or articulation..
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:30 AM »
Are they serious about that price?...

Well the seller can ask any price he wants... but the bottom line is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
To my untrained ear, the Kawai EX in this pack sounds awesome. Compared to the built-in S975 piano voices 'as-is' (without tweaking) it sounds more authentic and rich/full. It's just a tad more clarity than the other two grands, but that's just my personal preference. 
Has anyone else tried it?

Cheers!
Gary
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:57:07 PM by gmorrison »

Offline Styles2psr

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 05:21:46 AM »

....Or you can just download my 2 Grand pianos for free, which not requires 2 gb memory...only 52 mb for both.

The difference between these 2 pianos:
The Simple Steinway has a warm, mellow and cinematic tone.

While the Clean Grand Piano is more clean, bright, and full Piano sound.

Size:
Simple Steinway 25.4 mb
Clean Grand Piano 26.4 mB

They are the perfect start for those who looking for a realistic piano sound.

Only 1 layer (1 Element) but you can hear different velocities depending on how hard or soft you hit the keys.
This is very easy to achieve by changing the Cutoff sense (Touch Sense) in the Filter section in YEM.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wjfpmhtrz7tggs/Styles2psr%20Piano.ppf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR33Kimgtl96qVFuYfFsEYckTLdyeQ8G-sEO_WBGwftyT7pxbCUoTo--VBs

Regards, Jan.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 07:49:08 AM »
....Or you can just download my 2 Grand pianos for free, which not requires 2 gb memory...only 52 mb for both.

Hey Jan, I was watching Woody's Piano Shack and I believe he was demoing a free pack of EDM you offer. Is that correct? If so, where can I get that?
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline khudson7

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »
To my untrained ear, the Kawai EX in this pack sounds awesome.
Compared to the built-in S975 piano voices 'as-is' (without tweaking)
it sounds more authentic and rich/full. It's just a tad bit brighter than
the other two grands, but that's just my personal preference. 
Has anyone else tried it?

Cheers!
Gary

Yes, I too, agree.  I like the Kawai the best.  But find all 3 of them to be somewhat different and use them in several cases over using the built in cfx piano on the Genos.  And for only $25, well worth it.
Ken
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:24:21 PM by khudson7 »

Offline Styles2psr

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
Hey Jan, I was watching Woody's Piano Shack and I believe he was demoing a free pack of EDM you offer. Is that correct? If so, where can I get that?

Go to:
http://www.styles2psr.com/

Click on the FREE section, and you will find lot of free stuff including the Ultimate EDM Expansion Pack.

Regards, Jan.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
Thanks Jan! I will definitely try these - much appreciated.
Cheers, Gary

The difference between these 2 pianos:
The Simple Steinway has a warm, mellow and cinematic tone.

While the Clean Grand Piano is more clean, bright, and full Piano sound.

Size:
Simple Steinway 25.4 mb
Clean Grand Piano 26.4 mB

They are the perfect start for those who looking for a realistic piano sound.

Only 1 layer (1 Element) but you can hear different velocities depending on how hard or soft you hit the keys.
This is very easy to achieve by changing the Cutoff sense (Touch Sense) in the Filter section in YEM.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wjfpmhtrz7tggs/Styles2psr%20Piano.ppf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR33Kimgtl96qVFuYfFsEYckTLdyeQ8G-sEO_WBGwftyT7pxbCUoTo--VBs

Regards, Jan.