Author Topic: Organ Expansion Packs Worth it?  (Read 6624 times)

rickbrenner

Organ Expansion Packs Worth it?
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
As a new Genos user, I have looked over the website where Yamaha sells expansion packs but have no idea if they are an improvement on the sounds shipped with the instrument.  I'm interested in experimenting with Hammond B3 and other organ sounds.  Any advice between sticking with the stock sounds or popping for either of the packages sold by Yamaha? 

Rick

Offline soryt

Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

keynote

Re: Organ Expansion Packs Worth it?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »
The new Organ Session expansion pack by Easy Sounds emulates the sound of a Hammond B3. Here is the link: Organ Session Expansion Pack

The MP3 samples give you a good idea of the sounds in the pack. The price seems very reasonable also. There are 70 expansion voices plus 16 Registration Banks (160 Registrations) so all in all you get quite a lot with the price of admission. Of course the Genos itself also has a few B3 organ voices but the Organ Session expansion pack would give you a greater variety needless to say. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. But for the price I really don't think you could go wrong in my opinion but obviously that is my own personal opinion. I don't have that particular pack yet but I hope to get it in the near future therefore I'm not speaking from firsthand experience but simply from the MP3 samples I have listened to which are quite good in my humble opinion.

Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:30 AM »
Hi --

I recently purchased Easy Sounds Organ Session. I haven't gotten into it in depth, but a quick survey of the registrations is encouraging.

The dirty organ voices use two DSP insert effects: one for distortion and the other DSP for the rotary speaker sim. I find the A100 voices to be a nice alternative to the Genos clean waveforms.

As keynote and others have mentioned, the price is reasonable and if you're into B3, what are you waiting for?  :D  :D

Pretty happy so far -- pj

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »
I 2nd and 3rd those evaluations of this fine program.  I wouldn't leave home without it.

Lloyd E

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Expansion Packs are expensive and for the most part not that much of an improvement. That's only my opinion as others think they are worth the money. I also think the YEM
is a poor system and many people simply can't use it because of the poor system Yamaha uses. I own a Genos and with all the styles and voices it contains I am happy with
what it has.  Some think that more is better but to me it simply adds more clutter to the system.  I know I will get some who will answer this with different ideas and that's
what these forums are all about.  Lloyd

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Expansion Packs are expensive and for the most part not that much of an improvement. That's only my opinion as others think they are worth the money. I also think the YEM
is a poor system and many people simply can't use it because of the poor system Yamaha uses. I own a Genos and with all the styles and voices it contains I am happy with
what it has.  Some think that more is better but to me it simply adds more clutter to the system.  I know I will get some who will answer this with different ideas and that's

Lloyd,

I completely understand your statement. I have purchased many expansion packs. But when I am honest, I only use the preset voices for making music. They are always there, no matter what is loaded to expansion ram. ;)

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Pino

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 01:08:45 AM »
I did not hear anything on them demos that would make me pay the money
I’d rather buy the vent box
There is a lot on the keyboards already
I knocked this quick demo up on an S950
no edits to anything and the levels are all over the place.
I’m sure with some editing the Rotor DSP could have more depth.

For gigging I don’t  think the audience would know any difference.

Pino

https://app.box.com/s/sv6zpx1g9cpqdj7q802xn95twfapqeg5

Offline mark fernando

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 03:46:55 AM »
Hi,

I think customer should have access to listen all content of an expansion pack and customize as per needs. then we will buy only content we need.

Thanks

mark     

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:47 AM »
what it has. Some think that more is better but to me it simply adds more clutter to the system. I know I will get some who will answer this with different ideas and that's

Hello Lloyd.

I agree 100 % with what you write, I once bought some saxes. After tweaking the on board ones the difference was not worth the troublesome installation and expense.  But as already the Romans said: Caveat Emptor, the buyer assumes the risk that a product may fail to meet expectations or even have defects
and some just love shopping and some hear differences I cannot hear.

Cheers

Kaarlo

tyrosman

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
hi Rickbrenner if you want Hammond sounds go here  :D  https://organaut.com/  they are brilliant the easy sound ones don't sound like a B3 Hammond
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:48:28 AM by tyrosman »

RF

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
I would always keep in mind, a Reface organ keybaord's price and a Ferrofish expander's price.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs