Author Topic: Bought Genos - Keep Tyros 5?  (Read 7154 times)

Ric4001

Bought Genos - Keep Tyros 5?
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
For those of you that upgraded from Tyros 5 (or earlier) to Genos, did you keep your Tyros and why?  I just bought a Genos and am interested in hearing any reasons I should keep the Tyros 5 around.  I don't play live (just use these for recording and songwriting), so the different button layouts and interface are no reason to keep the Tyros.  The style suggester function is the only function I can think of that's in the Tyros and not in the Genos.

Offline markstyles

Re: Bought Genos - Keep Tyros 5?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
I haven't sold my T5, and toyed with keeping it.  But realize after some time, I can do what I need/want with the Genos.. And could use the $$$ from the Tyros..  I believe prices are higher for T5's than the T4's.. at least the ones I've seen in classified.. 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
I always part exchange my old keyboard for new one. That way I always get top price for the one I am selling.
  Tyros 5 is selling here for anything from £1650 onwards.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:01:01 AM »
If you keep your Tyros and you return to it after a couple of months playing on the Genos, you'll wind up hitting the display without response  ;)
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 05:13:59 AM »
If you keep your Tyros and you return to it after a couple of months playing on the Genos, you'll wind up hitting the display without response  ;)

Stijn, very true ! I still have my Tyros 5/6 as my dealer is a very exceptional man. He says - believe me or not -  "I want us to make the exchange when we have all the problems solved." (update 1.3 solved most of them)  And already now after a few weeks when I go to my Tyros I do exactly what you describe: I am poking the display and wondering why nothing happens .  As with so many things, I did not feel any need for a touch display, but let's be honest, it is a great step forward and once you have it you really do not want t go back.  There was a time in the 1980ies I had a Lowrey MX1 and an Eminent at the same time. The only thing they had in common were the  two keyboards and the pedals .   ;)Ever since I have kept to one instrument. Therefore I am surprised when on this site people say they are gigging both with a YAMAHA and a KORG.  Which proves what I have always suspected: all men are not created equal.

Cheers

Kaarlo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ric4001

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Lol.  That's the main reason I bought the Genos.  My other keyboards are a Montage, a Kronos, a Pa4x and a Roland G70.  I'm so used to touch screens that I found I did exactly what you describe whenever I used my Tyros.

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
I had a s910 before I purchased my T5 76 and really loved the 910, so was considering keeping it as a backup. When it came to managing files for both keyboards I decided it was going to be a bit difficult and confusing to keep everything synchronized.
I ended up selling the 910 to a gentleman on the other side of Australia who flew over from Brisbane (3,000 miles away) in Queensland to Perth in Western Australia and payed cash and flew back the same day. He had a 900 which had a major circuit board failure and he had gig's lined up and was desperate to get a keyboard to meet his committments. When I purchased the Genos I traded the T5 and made up the cash difference.

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Pino

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
I have 3 Yamaha keyboards, it takes a lot of valuable time to keep them all up to date,  I very often get ‘DATA NOT LOADED PROPERLY’  coming up on the screen.

I would for sure recommend one keyboard and get to know it inside and out.

Pino

DonM

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
Very few dealers take trade-ins here in the U.S.  And the ones I've seen do it do not give fair value for the trade-ins, unless they price the new one at full markup.
I've always been much better off selling my older unit and buying the new one outright.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »
We are lucky here in the UK because most shops will Part Exchange your old keyboard for new and give a very good trade in price for the old one. That is why a lot of us buy early to take advantage of this.

DonM

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
There are only a small handful of stores that actually stock arrangers of any kind in the U.S., much less top of the line models.  Almost all are sold online and that's a shame.
However the customers/users have brought it on themselves.
They go to the store, have the sales person demo it and explain it, then go home and order over the internet to save a few dollars.  Local dealers are at a disadvantage because they MUST pay sales tax, and as a result must charge that to the customer.
Even  though you are SUPPOSED to pay sales tax on internet purchases, it is common to not pay it. 
The one local music store here that used to stock arrangers quit some years ago for this very reason.  They would try to match internet prices but this made the profit margin too low, consider they have expense the online stores to do have.  They have to pay rent, utilities, salesmen's commissions and/or salaries, insurance and local, state and federal taxes.  Losing proposition for them.  They can sell ONE piano or Clavinova and make the same profit as selling perhaps 20 or so arrangers. 

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 12:36:06 AM »
There are only a small handful of stores that actually stock arrangers of any kind in the U.S., much less top of the line models.

Yep, I tried to go local. Couldn't find a store in my entire state here in the US that even stocked the T5, much less the Genos.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 04:27:20 AM »
We are lucky here in the UK because most shops will Part Exchange your old keyboard for new and give a very good trade in price for the old one. That is why a lot of us buy early to take advantage of this.

Exactly, thanks Eileen.  That seems to be different in the EU compared to the US. And that is one reason the price in the beginning of a product cycle must be higher than later.  The dealer must have a very good margin on the new product to take the previous model in exchange and invest time and money to sell that at whatever small profit he can make on it.  Anyone having been involved in selling cars or sewing machines (I was) is familiar with these facts.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Denn

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:50:01 PM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
In your dreams perhaps. Do you then think we are all stupid for buying it and really enjoying all it has to offer.
  If it is not for you then fine but please don't be silly about it.

Offline Denn

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »
Sorry Eileen, just a comment. Regards, Den.
Post deleted. Regards, Den.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:50:48 PM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls