Author Topic: A/B MOX6 vs. Genos drawbars  (Read 5484 times)

Offline pjd

A/B MOX6 vs. Genos drawbars
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:35:00 AM »
Hi --

I did a little A/B testing and voice editing between Genos and the ole MOX6. I'm trying to tweak the Genos drawbar registrations to get as close as possible to my go-to user voices on the MOX6.

To get the basic drawbar settings as close as possible, I turned off the insert and system effects on both keyboards. One really positive observation is that the Genos doesn't have the nasty intermodulation grunge of the MOX6 when holding down a chord. Nice. Genos is cleaner, and no, that grunge is not remotely artful or desirable. I took one or two of the high end drawbars (e.g., 1') down a notch on Genos to get the clean drawbar sounds to match.

I got things pretty close. The MOX6 has two insert effects: a VCM EQ feeding the rotary sim. The rotary sim is the same algorithm on both keyboards. The VCM EQ was boosting the low end slightly and cutting the absolute high end: 16.0kHz, -7dB). I cut the Genos a little more aggressively: 14.0kHz, -12dB. Guess I like B-3's a little on the dark side.

One weirdness that may be due to operator error. I have the rotary speaker settings stored as a USER Effect. Try as I might, I couldn't overwrite the existing settings (USER Effect location) with the new settings. Yamaha doesn't provide a SAVE option within drawbar mode, so I tried to save using the usual Mixer DSP FX interface. The UI claimed "Executing" and everything seemed to go normally, but every time, the old settings came back. I eventually threw up my hands and saved the new settings within the registration(s). Maybe someone has some insight.

Hey, hey, have fun! Soon as I get my Soundwear bag, this thing is going to church.  :)

-- pj
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:53:57 PM by pjd »

Offline voodoo

Re: A/B MOX6 vs. Genos drawbars
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:35:38 PM »
Hey PJ,

thank you very much for this report. I find this highly interesting.

A made a similar comparison between S970 and Nord Electro 5 some time ago. I found, that the pure drawbars sound equally good (well?) on both keyboards. But with overdrive and Leslie coming in, the Nord was miles away (meaning better) from S970.

So I would be very interested in trying the Genos together with an external Leslie sim like the Neo Vent II. But just for a try, I find it too expensive. Perhaps I find will find a decent leslie sim for iPad and try to use this as a external insert effect, slicing it in between aux out and aux in of Genos.

Kind regards
Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
Hi Uli --

Great minds think alike.  :) I've been tempted by the Neo Mini-Vent.

You've probably seen it -- the IK Multimedia T-Racks/Amplitude Leslie sim for iPad. Wish they had a limited trial edition. Even at $129 USD, that's a little too expensive to try on a lark.

Currently, I use a (sustain) pedal to control rotary speed on the MOX6 and Genos. With the Mini-Vent, I could ditch the sustain pedal and route the audio through the Mini-Vent. That would keep the space under my feet from getting too crowded.

Before spending money, tho', I need more experience with the Easy Sounds Organ Session expansion pack. The A100 registrations sound pretty decent for church-y stuff. The price was right, too.

Interesting comparison against the NE5. Yamaha still have a way to go. And then there's the matter of scanner vibrato/chorus...

-- pj

P.S. Saw these Brian Auger registrations vs. the Classic Jimmy Smith:
83 8330 000 Perc: 2nd, fast, C3, no Leslie
88 8330 000 Perc: 2nd, fast, C3, no Leslie

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:37 AM »
Hi Uli --

Great minds think alike.  :) I've been tempted by the Neo Mini-Vent.

You've probably seen it -- the IK Multimedia T-Racks/Amplitude Leslie sim for iPad. Wish they had a limited trial edition. Even at $129 USD, that's a little too expensive to try on a lark.

Currently, I use a (sustain) pedal to control rotary speed on the MOX6 and Genos. With the Mini-Vent, I could ditch the sustain pedal and route the audio through the Mini-Vent. That would keep the space under my feet from getting too crowded.

Before spending money, tho', I need more experience with the Easy Sounds Organ Session expansion pack. The A100 registrations sound pretty decent for church-y stuff. The price was right, too.

Interesting comparison against the NE5. Yamaha still have a way to go. And then there's the matter of scanner vibrato/chorus...

-- pj

P.S. Saw these Brian Auger registrations vs. the Classic Jimmy Smith:
83 8330 000 Perc: 2nd, fast, C3, no Leslie
88 8330 000 Perc: 2nd, fast, C3, no Leslie

I just looked around and found a used, original Ventilator at a reasonable price. Sounds great. Love hitting the stop switch and hearing the horns slowly start up or slow down.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »

Yes, I have seen it. I receive the IK newsletter. But this leslie is not available for the iPad version of Amplitube, only for Mac/PC. So I think it is not a solution, since I don't want to carry the MacBook Pro to stage. I am still hoping for an iPad version with hopefully reduced price.

Perhaps I will go hunting for a second hand Neo, but I did not find an interesting offer till now.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »
Sorry 'bout that! I didn't notice that the IK sims are Mac and Windows only. (Bad assumption about iOS on my part.) Looks like there is some "try before buy" for Mac/Windows AmpliTube.

I'd prefer an iPad version myself. My Mac Air overheats and shuts down when pushed too hard with video or audio.

All the best -- pj

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
Pj,

you were right. Most IK apps are available for iPad. There are SampleTank, Syntronik and Amplitube available with many expansions. So I hope that Leslie will come out as Extension for Amplitube for iOS.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D