Author Topic: Style Assembly  (Read 2771 times)

Style Assembly
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:38:07 AM »
Hi team,

Would someone please explain how to use the Style Assembly function. Please use the following assumptions:

1 - I have the IQ of a house plant.
2 - I've never done it before and assume it's not even possible based on the reference manual's pathetic explanation.
3 - Don't quote the most useless reference manual I have ever seen - a.k.a. the Genos Reference Manual. It's a joke and a piece of garbage when it comes to explaining this stuff.

From the manual:
The explanations here apply to step 4 of the Basic Procedure on page 14. The “Assembly” display shows that each
channel data of the current Section has been copied from which Style, which Section, and which channel. For each
channel, touch the Style name, Section name, or Channel name as necessary to select the desired one.

Holy crap! Who wrote this minutia of unclear antecedents and gibberish?

I've tried every combination I can think of. It never works for me. Thanks in advance.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline terryB

Re: Style Assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:27 AM »
Hi See the post by Keynote down below titled ' Yamaha Genos keyboard Tutorial.
Its covered toward the end of the U tube  tutorial

Cheers
Terry

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:42 AM »
Thanks, Terry. It resides about 1 hour and 30 minutes in. Helpful.

I was trying to copy the Bass line in Variation C to Variation D, within the same style. I ended up just recording two different times because Style Assembly doesn't seem to work for that. It seems Style Assembly only works when combining two different style parts. Unless there's a way...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:01 AM »
Copying a part from a different section of the same style is covered in the video starting at 1:32:57.

In the example, he actually copies the Rhythm2 part from different sections of the same style, but I'm sure that even a 'house plant' could work out how to copy the Bass part instead!   :-\

I'm not sure how Genos addresses the situation where the measure lengths of the original section and the section to be copied are different, so this may be something to consider if you get unexpected results!

I agree about the quality of the information about this function in the Genos Reference Manual.  It is really poor, even by Yamaha's low standards!  ::)

One thing to remember is that you must select a style section of the loaded style to copy the changes to by pressing one of the style section panel buttons.  The changes that you then make in the assembly process will be to this section.

Although the name of the style that you are changing appears at the top of the Style Creator display, it seems to be too much trouble for Yamaha's shoddy programmers to actually indicate the currently selected style section as well!   Although you can see this from which style section button is lit orange/red, it wouldn't hurt to show it on the display too!

Regards

Ian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:33 AM »
Many thanks for the help, Ian. Glad someone agrees that the manual is nothing more than garbage. I am a technical writer, and technical writing instructor at Humber College in Toronto. I don't know who writes Yamaha's manuals, but I can say with certainty, they are not qualified!!

Yamaha, you're not saving any money by letting these people write your manuals. Ask someone who knows how to do it correctly.