Author Topic: Voices cannot easily be changed on the fly.  (Read 6135 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Voices cannot easily be changed on the fly.
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
That issue I have wrestled with is:
I want to create variety among eg., the electric pianos, during a song.
Now my approach, maybe the issue, but when I switch to another EPiano, the new voice seems to have a "baked in ROM” reverb setting and octave setting. When I switch voice I am rudely surprised with the octave change in the R1 2 or 3 voice section.

To solve this I tried creating a series of Electric piano voices without reverb.
It is not convenient though to tab over to a folder I called Voices, where not only the there are a bunch of electric pianos, but other sectors for bass, acoustic piano, etc etc.

And this temporary solution does not deal with fact that voice often drops 1 octave lower than the registration setting I initially chose.

Can anyone think of a way to change a voice while performing that maintains the Octave position and the reverb setting I choose, and not the ROM based settings?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:17:48 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Voices cannot easily be changed on the fly.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:36 PM »

Can anyone think of a way to change a voice while performing that maintains the Octave position and the reverb setting I choose, and not the ROM based settings?

Use registrations.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Hey Fred, Long time. :)   Fred, is there any other way?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:51:44 PM »
You could try disabling the automatic call up of the various settings included in a voice.

Read the section 'Disabling Automatic Selection of Voice Sets (Effects, etc.)' starting on page 15 of the 'Tyros4 Reference Manual' (not the 'Owner's manual) for instructions about this.

Regards

Ian

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:02 PM »
Tyrosaurus.  How nice to see this feature. I appreciate your knowledge and service here to those of us who are less fortunate in the reading and understanding manual DNA!
It seems like this will work. I will disable octave and reverb settings.
Thank you

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »
I just checked the DISABLE AUTO SELECTION dialogue

It does not delegate for the Octave  :(

Pino

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:36 AM »
Use Registrations,

Pino

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »
Ok Pino, thank you. Have you ever tried performing with MIDI songs, where you might just mute a track or two, and solo over the track?

This question relates to your and Fred Smith's solution of just use a registration.
Ok, maybe that is likely solution... BUT

I am using the T4 as a MIDI SONG Player when I endeavor to play along with the track.
So the registration is a little unclear because of the knee bone is connected to the leg bone!  The T4 is an amazingly ambitious invention, having so many capabilities that boiling it all down to a registration is not simple for me.
Eg.
MIDI SONG playing while I am playing over it. AND I want to modify the voices,
so when I switch to another Registration, what happens to the MIDI SONG?
How do I disable the potential for interrupting the Song, as I alter the voices via Registration ?

Craig Schiller

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:46 AM »
Your registrations will not affect the MIDI song (unless you tell them to).

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
So Craig, uncheck the Song box when Saving Registration Content.. is the solution?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:58 AM »
I just checked the DISABLE AUTO SELECTION dialogue

It does not delegate for the Octave  :(

If you are referring to the 'Part Octave' settings in the 'Voice Set', rather than the 'Upper Octave' panel buttons, then 'Part Octave' is included in the 'Voice' group in the Voice Set table. 

So if you uncheck 'Voice' for the part/s that you want to prevent from changing, loading a voice to those parts will no longer change the octave from what it was set to when you disabled it.

Of course there are other parameters in the 'Voice Set' that will also be prevented from changing if you disable a Voice Set group, so these may cause problems depending on what you are trying to achieve!

You can see which parameters are included in each Voice Set group by checking out the column headed 'Voice Set Group' of the 'Parameter Chart', starting on page 70 of the 'Tyros4 Data List'.

Regards

Ian

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 03:37:20 AM »
sugarplumsss,

Another way of accomplishing what you want is more work but is effective.

Create User Voices using Voice Set of the E.Ps and whatever right-hand instruments you wish to use.  Save them in a folder on you User Drive or USB drive.  You can even leave the folder open on screen and select them on-the-fly if that's how you like to play. (you can have 10 Voices displayed at once).

If you use Ian's method (which I use as well) once you get a single Voice set the way you like, then turn off the Voice Set function, all the Preset Voices will have the same DSP settings, Volume, Part Octave (R2/R2),etc. It works quite well.

Joe H

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:38:39 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 03:40:03 AM »
MIDI SONG playing while I am playing over it. AND I want to modify the voices,
so when I switch to another Registration, what happens to the MIDI SONG?
How do I disable the potential for interrupting the Song, as I alter the voices via Registration ?

Easy. Memorize the midi to R1. In all other regs, don’t memorize the song (ie, ensure Song is unchecked).

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:44 AM »
Ok Fred, Let me expand on this idea you present.. a good one no doubt.

I have these expensive MIDI, only 60 or so.

As far as folder structure is concerned, I need a little help.

I use the t4 in a growing number of ways

a) MIDI songs  where I play voices a top the track, my latest way.
b) Drum style ONLY, my old way.. using t4 as a drum machine.
c) Keyboard ONLY, like well, a regular keyboard.
d) Music Finder
e) I am late to the party on the way the t4 was designed to be used.. Accompaniment mode; the way most of you use it. I am not sure I will
ever go this route.. but I am open to possibility.

I assume the above suggests at minimum, 5 discrete Folders?
Maybe not. I am such an extreme case, respected in music domain, but so slow to computers.

The specter of whether or not use Registrations on all 5 of these possible Folders, or even if eg, Music Finder requires Registrations ... maybe not, eh?

Any suggestions about details of this process?
I know I am especially concerned about labeling songs within numerous Folders.
I do not truly understand the idea of Root level etc. and how labeling can get tricky.

Can I put Leroy Brown ( not the personage  ;D   ) into multiple Folders ... and would this involve, given my lack of understanding, maybe altering the spelling of Leroy Brown, in each Folder ( each Folder is referring to the 5 Folders above )??
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:35:22 AM by sugarplumsss »