Author Topic: Genos Test Number Three  (Read 37345 times)

Offline Pianoman

Re: Genos Test Number Three
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2018, 07:20:27 PM »
There are many ways to entertain. And many different kinds of successful entertainers. Abby has a rollicking, party style, and is really good at it. But not everyone has to thrash the life out of a keyboard. You might be providing mood music in a Four Seasons lounge, or accompanying a high quality jazz vocalist, or playing in a ceiledh band. You just need to be good at what you do if you want to make a decent living from playing. You can’t buy that in a keyboard, but like Lee says you might feel better doing it if you are playing what you believe is a great instrument.
Mike

Hello Mike.

In the late 80s I used to play in a Sheraton hotel Piano Lounge in Belgium.
Filling in for a Pianist named Victor, when he had his days off, or a hangover.

Thrashing a Piano does not necessarily imply violence towards the instrument.

Victor played Film, Lounge, and Jazz music.

But by God! He could thrash the Piano, gently and beautifully, but a good
thrashing nevertheless.

I would go every night he played, and listen to him from beginning to end.
I worshipped the guy.

He was already in his 60s at the time, and drank too much, but I hope that he
he is still Jazzing it up somewhere.

My use of the words "thrashing an instrument" mostly means impressive playing
of an instrument. Sometimes for the purpose of entertaining others, and
sometimes just for oneself at home.

Best Regards.
Abby.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:37:40 PM by Pianoman »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
All very true guys, but I have found over the years a superior sounding instrument makes me a better musician because it inspires me and encourages me to explore more musical avenues. By that logic, a better keyboard indirectly impresses the audience - they just aren't aware of it.

Thanks Lee, how right you are. I posted the same thing somewhere here telling the story of when I got a Selmer saxophone and how just the feeling of having the most coveted horn made me improvise with more confidence and people telling me I had progressed.  It was not, but the effect would have been the same even if my father had bought me a fake Selmer. I for one am convinced   the placebo effect is real. It is a well known fact that in the sildenafil tests 18 % of those getting a sugar pill also experienced a marked  improvement.  It is a good example because the effect can be easily and immediately be experienced whereas the question "do you feel more energetic" since you take this vitamin pill is elusive.

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
Agreed Abby. My T5 was an amazing instrument but the Genos walks all over it in terms of pianos, drums, strings, effects, and general sound processing. There's no comparison when played through a quality gigging sound system. The Genos is so much more alive.

I'm really confused by those who don't hear a huge difference in the two. I wonder if they make the comparison under conditions they can't trust. For example, with cheap headphones, YouTube videos, poor quality sound systems, noisy demo venues like NAMM (There's the crappiest place to try to hear a new instrument. It's like a zoo!!). Beats me! All I know is my band mates, some clients, and some audience members are astounded by what they hear and tend to congregate around me when I'm packing up. It doesn't happen everywhere but often enough to NOT take notice.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »
You just need to be good at what you do if you want to make a decent living from playing. You can’t buy that in a keyboard, but like Lee says you might feel better doing it if you are playing what you believe is a great instrument.
Mike

Mike,
One could not say it better !

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »
I have played the Genos. Fantastic instrument, and I definitely heard the difference. But it has a touch screen, and that concerns me because I have low vision. All the older models can be navigated without vision if you must, but not Genos..
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

DonM

« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2018, 01:13:55 AM »
Toril S, I understand that the latest update has a feature that vocally announces the functions.  Not sure if it does it BEFORE you execute the command (touch the screen) and/or after.
If it works right, it could well be the most important innovation for visually-impaired people that has ever happened!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:21 AM »
Don, that is good news indeed! The feature has been used by Apple for years, so it is possible.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page