Author Topic: Audio Styles on Style Creator (PSR S970)  (Read 13821 times)

Audio Styles on Style Creator (PSR S970)
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:24:03 AM »
I do an audio style with the new software from Yamaha (YAP) but I can’t combine my audio style with the factory midi styles. I Can copy midi tracks from other styles on style creator but I can’t copy the audio track of my audio style to a factory midi style  :(  Please Help me

MFrost

Re: Audio Styles on Style Creator (PSR S970)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »
Where is this soft YAP?

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
Hi
I think he means Yamaha Expansion Manger ( Corrected Yamaha Audio Phraser)

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yap_win.html
Regards
Ed B
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:11:06 AM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
Where is this soft YAP?

Yamaha Audio Phraser :)

ob7914

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
I can't help you very much as I didn't try this software
I read the documentation but didn't find any informations on how to merge midi and audio styles.

Did you tried to copy factory style on user disc first ?
Did you tried to copy midi style parts to audio style ?
Did you rename your audio style as .STY ?

Offline Patrick

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
Hi Rodrigo, you can add some midi's parts using style creator assembly, you can add OTS voices, .... but you can only save your style on User not on USB stick; so I don't think i'll use this software with my S970! But it's works, all the best Patrick

;)

jexino

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
Hi Rodrigo, you can add some midi's parts using style creator assembly, you can add OTS voices, .... but you can only save your style on User not on USB stick; so I don't think i'll use this software with my S970! But it's works, all the best Patrick

;)

As another expects, you can rename the exported audio styles "*.aus" to "*.sty" and you can use it on S970 directly at usb stick  ;)
It takes a little time to load the audio style, but once it loaded in intern memory it's going well.

Offline bernamato

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:18:06 AM »
....after you need to use style creator for "assembly" midi parts. After that, you can save it on user memory.
The question is: after this work if I would sell my keyboard to buy 975, how can transfer these audiofiles, stored in user memory, from 970 to 975?

Offline Patrick

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
Hi Bernamato, the User memory on the S970 is very small, so you'll not save a lot of audio styles! As you can't copy the audio style edited on the S970 on the USB drive, they'll stay on the User drive or you can delete them, all the best Patrick
 :)

Offline bernamato

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
thanks. So, yamaha tell me: don't sell 970 for 975. OK

johnnygee

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:56 AM »

Hi guys, I know it's been over a year since someone commented on this topic, but there is really very little information about this topic on the web and I do not consider it wise to open another thread about something that has so little information about. So I just wanted to make a small contribution in terms of passing an audio style of the PSR S (Any) to the PC. As it is impossible to pass them then what can be done is to create a new STY audio and start doing ASSEMBLY of the audio style that we want to copy to the PC, We make Assembly with The Intro A, Intro B, C, Main A, B, C, D , and so on one by one. At the end we have a copy of the Audio Sty, (Without the Audio STY) and we save it in the USB, So we can already save it in the PC. In the future if we have the AUS we can copy it to the piano and then copy the STY that we had copied to the PC and again do Asembly, one by one and we have the Audio Style back on our Piano. (It is the only way to have a Back Up of our Audio Styles).  8)

Offline bernamato

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »
I use this method:
https://youtu.be/igv_UQxmiB8

You need to have .aus (audiostyle created with Yamaha Audio Phraser). The file will be saved as .aus
You need to have .sty factory assembled as you like with Style creator. The file will be saved as .sty.
After you need to run an HEX editor app on the PC and do what the video above show.
Then you can read the audio + style directly on usb stick.

These are some examples:
https://youtu.be/KCo5oStL1ec
https://youtu.be/5xP_T2FF-tI
https://youtu.be/W8BCnymJadY

Best regards,
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:39:43 PM by bernamato »

Offline lilryu

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »
I use this method:

You need to have .aus (audiostyle created with Yamaha Audio Phraser). The file will be saved as .aus
You need to have .sty factory assembled as you like with Style creator. The file will be saved as .sty.
After you need to run an HEX editor app on the PC and do what the video above show.

These are some examples:

Best regards,

Hi Bernamoto,

Can you set up a tutorial on how to create a audio style from the beginning? Also, what kind of drum loops do you use? Did you have to buy them?

Thanks for your great tutorial

Offline bernamato

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
Hi.
Below the video link:

You can use all audio files .wav 16bit 44.100 that you can buy or make by yourself.

Bye

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »
I use this method:

These are some examples:

Best regards,

Hi!
A suggestion:
Wouldn't it be interesting for some programmer to create a program that does this automatically, in order to make this task easier?
With an operation similar to the Style Split and Splice, which separates and unites the CASM part of the style.
The idea would be for the program to add the midi part to the audio style (or vice versa) without having to use the HEX editor for that.
Of course, this would work great for unencrypted pieces of audio styles, as is the case with Audio Phraser.
It wouldn't be a bad idea! ????

Regards,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »
What this gentleman did was to move an existing Audio track to a regular style, if I am not mistaken.

You can do the same thing with your keyboard yourself in reverse. Move the style parts of the regular style to the Audio style.

You will still need to make sure the measures of the style's Parts A, B, C and D are the same length. This bit of information was not noted in the video. This fact limits the number of possible styles usable to make the switch. You could however create your own custom style and build the style around the Audio drum track and use style parts from any of your Yamaha regular styles. You just can not alter what the drummer pattern is doing. 

Audio styles (as I have stated many times) are a waste to keyboard users who intend to create their own custom song styles. You can NOT alter Audio styles in any way except their volume. Thus they defeat the point of purchasing a Portable Studio Recording (PSR) keyboard.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 12:40:07 PM by DrakeM »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 01:03:59 PM »
Audio styles (as I have stated many times) are a waste to keyboard users who intend to create their own custom song styles. You can NOT alter Audio styles in any way except their volume. Thus they defeat the point of purchasing a Portable Studio Recording (PSR) keyboard.
Regards
Drake

Well, remember it's only the rhythm part that's an audio track. The other parts are MIDI and can be changed in any way you want. So it's not all bad.

(As for the audio phrases in the Ketron Event styles ... well that's a whole other thread!!!)
Genos

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 01:09:44 PM »
What this gentleman did was to move an existing Audio track to a regular style, if I am not mistaken.

You can do the same thing with your keyboard yourself in reverse. Move the style parts of the regular style to the Audio style.

You will still need to make sure the measures of the style's Parts A, B, C and D are the same length. This bit of information was not noted in the video. This fact limits the number of possible styles usable to make the switch. You could however create your own custom style and build the style around the Audio drum track and use style parts from any of your Yamaha regular styles. You just can not alter what the drummer pattern is doing. 

Regards
Drake
Yes.
The issue is that, for some keyboards (like tyros5), there is no way to save the audio style result including the midi part out of user memory.
One idea would be, after recording the midi part listening to the audio part in the style creator, save that separately in a regular style using the assembly function and then add that part in the audio style.
At the moment the solution to the problem is the HEX editor, but with a program that does this automatically, the process would be easier and the user would not need to do it manually.

In my humble opinion, apart from the fact that you can't edit the audio part, there's nothing wrong with using drum and percussion loops, quite the opposite: The end result can be surprising.
We are living in an era where the use of samples and loops will be more and more constant.
Ketron keyboards have been doing this for at least 12 years, including harmonic instruments.
Band in a box is another example of this, software where you can create arrangements that sound very close to a real band playing.
It's undeniable that you can do a lot with just midi. But not just with him.

Now, technically speaking, the result of an audio style using Yamaha's time stretch technology will sound better than using loop files in Rex format.
I could be wrong, but for the slices, there is no use of time stretch.

Regards,
Gabriel

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2023, 02:08:56 AM »
I made it
Audio Style - https://youtu.be/vsZdPSt6_qI

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2023, 02:29:46 AM »
It's very cool!
Congratulations.
What keyboard did you do it on, Genos?

I'll still be able to do an audio style on my tyros5 and have a backup of it with the midi part.
The problem that I still can't find a solution for is that, making the midi part in a separate style and then the assembly with the audio style, mixing each session, takes a lot of work.
What would be feasible if you could do that is to add the midi part to the audio style itself, then remove the audio part from the keyboard itself and save the rest in a normal style.
At least, at the time of assembly, the volumes would already be adjusted, because the midi part would be created listening to the audio part.
Regards,
Gabriel

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2023, 02:50:46 AM »
Guys, to clarify once and for all the creation of an audio style on keyboards that don't allow saving the complete result out of user memory:

1. We created the audio part in YAP (Yamaha Audio Phraser);
2. The generated .aus file can be inserted into a pack with the Yamaha Expansion manager or copied directly to a pendrive changing the extension to .sty;
3. We can create the midi part of the style by listening to the audio part in the style creator, but we cannot save it out of user memory. If we wanted to do that, we would need to separately create the midi part in style creator, save that, and then merge the midi part with the audio part (.aus file) on the computer using Hex Editor. However, mixing both parts probably wouldn't look good, right?

And to solve the problem, this tweak would have to be done outside of the keyboard as well.
Sorry for the insistence, but this issue is still not clear to me.
Many videos on the internet that explain the subject only show visually on the screen, but as I am visually impaired, I cannot fully capture the content.
I also saw an Italian video on the subject, but since I don't understand that language, it gets complicated.
Regards,
Gabriel

Offline andyg

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 12:18:12 AM »
How did you rename the style extension from aus to sty. I'm trying to take an edited audio style out of an S970. I've replaced the audio drums with MIDI drums but the keyboard still thinks it's an audio style and won't let me copy it to USB.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2023, 12:46:52 AM »
How did you rename the style extension from aus to sty. I'm trying to take an edited audio style out of an S970. I've replaced the audio drums with MIDI drums but the keyboard still thinks it's an audio style and won't let me copy it to USB.
You can do this in windows by pressing f2 on the .aus file to rename. It is necessary to configure so that the file extensions are shown.
So at least on my tyros5 it loads the audio style from usb, although it takes a while.
Remembering that this only works with audio styles created in audio phraser.
The problem is the opposite, from the keyboard to the outside.
How did you try to delete the audio part of your style?

In the tyros5 manual it says that if I change the pattern length of an audio style, the corresponding part is deleted. If that's the only way, maybe you have to do this for all sections of the style, including fill-ins, intros and endings?
I think the solution is to copy the midi part of all style sessions to another style
In short, a lot of things remain unclear.
Regards,
Gabriel
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 12:50:30 AM by gabrielschuck »

Offline andyg

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
I could rename it in Windows - if I could actually copy the Style to USB, which the S970 will not let me do.

I forget exactly how I deleted the audio part - it was a couple of years ago. On the S970 the amended style is playing with MIDI drums. I'll have a go at altering the pattern lengths as you describe.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2023, 06:12:56 PM »
I made it
Audio Style - https://youtu.be/vsZdPSt6_qI

That is *very* cool! Is that an s970 on top of an sx900?

Mark