Author Topic: Genos Interface  (Read 1599 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos Interface
« on: December 11, 2023, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi
I have found out that The Steinberg driver is not so good as the Windows audio driver which can get you down to 5ms  at 256 samples  whereas the Steinberg driver is way behind at 11.5ms at 512 samples
This is for the Daw owners. This is my experience. I have written to Yamaha about this and also mention the out of date Yem that needs a makeover. Talk about clunky. :D

I have also noticed that you need a lot more volume in comparison to an external interface.
For sampling, converting to SF2 files, Yem needs so much volume to here what you have done and the lantency oh!
I say again that the Steinberg driver is C**P :o

I cannot believe that the Windows driver is better than the Steinberg driver, but Focusrite external is the best :o ::) ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:55:06 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Re: Genos Interface
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 01:38:01 AM »
Can you use a native Windows driver to route digital audio from a Genos2 into a DAW?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 02:06:57 AM »
To my knowledge, Windows 10/11 does not have an integrated ASIO driver, but only "MME", "DirectSound" and "WASAPI" audio drivers.

@John
Could it be that you have installed the "ASIO4ALL" Windows Universal ASIO Driver and are using it with Genos2?
>>> https://asio4all.org/

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:13:51 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
Some years ago, I was writing for a magazine and one of my commissions was a series called 'Computer Music'. The question of audio latency, ASIO etc came up quite often. The experts at the manufacturers of cards from the likes of M-Audio, Terratec etc generally agreed that while ultra low latency was definitely desirable, the fact was that most people couldn't detect latency until it reached around 20ms.

In experiments with buffer sizes for the series, I could get latency for the venerable M-Audio 24/96 down to 1ms, where it would sometimes - well, OK, often - fall over (!) and a more reliable 5ms. But in the grand scheme of things it made no difference to me if I left it at an absolutely rock solid 11ms.

I can't find a generic ASIO Windows driver either. Cubase installs its 'generic low latency driver' and of course there is ASIO4ALL.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 05:17:51 PM »
Hi Andy Mike and Chris :)

Sorry as i confuse myself sometimes.
Well, I have been experimenting before i get down to making some music.
I put in the Asio Steinberg driver at 5ms  256 samples and got some scrunchy glitching.
I then tried the Windows driver and that went well at 5ms at 256 Samples on my VST synths.
I then went to Arturia Lab which is really a synth library of all the Arturia Synths but only parts of each one which is in the collection 9 and it would not show the Windows driver. I was scratching my head wondering what is going on here. My only option was to put the Steinberg driver back in and all worked well without any glitches at 5ms 256 sample.
Just wondering if something was crossing over here as i then changed all back to Steinberg driver and all is working well.
I might have had the Generic Asio  Low latency driver in the slot by mistake which i think now was the case.
So, the Steinberg driver is working great at the low latency without any more hitches

I must admit getting over these blond moments is an achievement Lol!! ::) ;D.

So easy in Cubase now to record just midi and play in live audio if you wish and it prints.
VST's are a breeze on Instrument tracks. Just have to render them.

One thing i have found out with this set up is if you have VST's, set the lowest sounding VST to a decent level in your room on powered speakers and then you can turn everything down after that to suit.
The Genos comes out louder when just using it for playing on it's own and VST's are a little lower when using them in Cubase.

All the Best
                          john :) :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline lut112

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 05:10:09 PM »
The Genos 2 interface worked reasonably well for me for a while. Today I started recording audio in cubase and the recording is about a semitone lower. This means that the frequency is different than 44.1 16. Even in OBS, where initially everything worked fine, now there are some cracks and distortions. Yamaha should fix this. This interface is of little use at this time

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 11:34:52 PM »
Hi
It is probably that your Genos interface sample rate is different to the daw project sample rate. Worth checking

Also check you haven’t accidentally changed the Transpose setting.
Maybe some help here.

All my bungles so far have been pilot era and blond moments ;D

All the Best
John

Offline lut112

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 06:33:38 AM »
Dziś interfejs działa ok. Zauważyłem,że przewód usb z Genos 2 należy podłączyć do komputera w ostatniej kolejności. Wtedy wszystko jest ok.

Google translation by overover:
Today the interface works ok. I noticed that the USB cable from Genos 2 should be connected to the computer last. Then everything is ok.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 07:01:55 AM by overover »

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 07:41:04 AM »
Dziś interfejs działa ok. Zauważyłem,że przewód usb z Genos 2 należy podłączyć do komputera w ostatniej kolejności. Wtedy wszystko jest ok.

Google translation by overover:
Today the interface works ok. I noticed that the USB cable from Genos 2 should be connected to the computer last. Then everything is ok.

Cubase users are always recommended to switch and connect everything first and run Cubase last. Cubase scans everything on startup.

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »
Hi
Anyone notice that the volume level of the on board Interface is a lot lower volume in Yem when altering a sound over the external interface like a Focusrite.
I tried making a sample from sample Robot and the volume level of the Genos interface is very poor.
Use my Focusrite and all is decent.

Offline svpworld

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 09:35:08 AM »
Just curious to know (as it's not clear in the manual).

Does the Genos audio interface present itself as multiple outputs and inputs (like the MODX), or is it just stereo output L and R from Genos over USB?

Simon

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 09:53:43 AM »
The latter, just stereo output ;)
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: svpworld

Offline svpworld

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 03:44:02 PM »
Thanks Ton, was afraid that was the case. Another missed opportunity on an instrument costing over Ł5K!

Offline ton37

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 03:51:34 PM »
Yep, a €450,000 Ferrari can't even fit 3 larger adults in the back. I'm also very disappointed  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 05:33:49 PM »
Thank goodness I didn't snap up that McLaren...  ;D 8)