Author Topic: FREE Antvirus ?. Whats forum members using ?.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Graham UK

FREE Antvirus ?. Whats forum members using ?.
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
Some although state as free are not always the case.
T2 + NP30

Online ckobu

Re: FREE Antvirus ?. Whats forum members using ?.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »
Avast
Watch my video channel

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:25 AM »
I'm at Win, and I've used MS buildt in defender for many years at several PC's without any kind of problems at all. It's free, get regulary updates and runs smoothly. At least at my equipment.
When use Symmantec/Norton I had lots of issues when install new programs or even when update several software, such as i.e. EMC and others.

That said, I'm also using MailWasher as a 'first step e-mail gate', so no emails will be downloaded to the PC before spam and other unwanted emails are cleaned out off the mailserver.  8)
Cheers & Happy Playing.  :)
GJ

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:38:08 AM »
if you use Windows . . . you can use the software that already comes with Windows . . . . .

Not sure about Mac or other platforms. 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:52:45 AM »
Some although state as free are not always the case.

Windows defender.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:57:11 AM »
Windows defender also on windows 8.
Few days ago I have downloaded the kaspersky for a free trial to do some extra free scans. ;D
Everything is fine,so I will delete the kaspersky and just use the windows defender again.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
Windows defender. It is sufficient. Norton is a plague! It gets in the way all the time with its constant nagging.
Toril S

Tyros 5, PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:43:23 AM »
I've been using Avast since it was first released 20 years ago, Graham.  :)

I've purchased and used other antivirus programs over the years; however, I always came back to Avast.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline DonM

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
With Windows 10 all you need is the built-in one, Windows Defender.  Works great. 

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:38 AM »
One computer with Avira, one with Bit Defender (wifes computer), two with AVG, all free versions. AVG has occasionally given false hits and will quarantine a file. I also have Malwarebytes Free I run scans with occasionally if something seems amiss. All of the above will detect a PUA / PUP (potentially unwanted application / potentially unwanted program) which may not be a virus, but can cause nuisance type problems, such as browser redirects. If you search the internet frequently for free music programs or files, best to have something a bit stronger in detection than something basic.
Avast and AVG are pretty much one and the same now.... https://blog.avast.com/avast-and-avg-become-one

This is a good comparison chart to get an idea what each protection will do. Free versions are included in the chart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_antivirus_software

Offline alanclare

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Iíve used AVG ever since Windows 7. My present laptop is Windows 10. AVG is getting to be a pain as itís forever interrupting to try to get me to upgrade and pay. From what others are saying here, I reckon Iím going to uninstall AVG and rely on Windows Defender (which is running anyway).

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
All reply's appreciated. In addition to the above I find SUPERAntivirus Free Editions works very well.

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
T2 + NP30

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
Windows 10 defender is more or less OK for me.
In case of emergency I also have a bootable USB-stick with "Zillya!" antivirus and Microsoft malicious remover on it.
Long-term Yamaha user and synth player since 1999
My music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PracticalSenses1/videos

Offline andyg

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 06:00:07 PM »
I've tried many of them. Defender gets lukewarm write ups, I used to use AVG but now it nags you to death. Avast came up with too way many false positives when tried.

I personally think it's worth paying. I got a five licence Kaspersky Total Security bundle last week for less than £25. Covers my PC and laptop, my son's PC and my daughter's laptop with one spare, should I ever use my mobile for internet use. So that's less than 10p a week per device for me.

If you hunt around a little, a few months into the year, you can usually find even better deals than that. My first year with Kaspersky cost my just £6.99, the second year £3.99!

We all have our own opinions and read reviews. I tend to trust my son, who is a senior IT technician in charge of servers for - well, I'm not allowed to tell you, but his security vetting was intense! He was the one who said to go with Kaspersky.

Bottom line - free is always good, but do look around for the deals on the rather better paid for stuff.

And whatever you install, Malwarebytes is always worth having.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:02:53 PM by andyg »
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline seahps

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
This is a worthwhile read........ Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center review....
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp

The following users thanked this post: jtrue

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »
AVG hands down the best for a free software version. My cousin is an IT guy and recommends it to everyone.

The thing is he said, if you get a virus on your PC, you simply keep running the AVG freeware over and  over and IT will find the virus. I never knew this, as I always thought if you ran it once and if the program was going to find it, it would locate it on the first pass. This is not the case, as the software continues to go deep into the files with each pass on your PC.

You also ought to use CCleaner (freeware). Use the default setting of the "Cleaner" and the "Registry" weekly.

Use DuckDuckGo.com as they do not track you on the internet as Google collects and sells your information.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:53:00 AM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Joe W

Offline alanclare

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »
Does iOS, as on my iPads, need any protection?

Alan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
I've uninstalled AVG (after finding out how to stop it running), and installed Avast on the recommendation of someone with 20 years experience of using it.

Offline WolfBack

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
Avast, all the time...
This keep me safe without all the annoying pops-ups or false alarms...
Make Music, Not War....

Antonis WolfBack (Athens, GR)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 04:36:49 AM »
One thing to know about AVG and Avast free versions...... they have the same engine and technology, so other than a few differences they are pretty much one and the same product.

http://www.getavast.net/comparison/avast-vs-avg

Offline alanclare

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 04:45:25 AM »
Having used both AVG and Avast (not at the same time!) I have a strong impression that the latter is less obtrusive in interrupting oneís work by regular suggestions that I ought to consider opting for the advantages of the subscription service.

Alan

Offline chongjasmine

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »
Avast/AVG
I alternate between the two.
Currently, though, I am using trend micro. (It is not free, though.)
Will switch back to avast when trend expires.
For God so love the world that He gives His one and only begotten Son Jesus that whoever believes in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16