Author Topic: Multi Fingered mode - help please  (Read 6272 times)

mus07

Multi Fingered mode - help please
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi all

I'm still way behind the "8-ball" here and haven't plunged into Genos land yet but have a very simple question (please):

In the manual, one of the chord fingered modes is "Multi Fingered" - the description says that the Genos will switch between "single fingered" and "fingered" modes automatically.

Could you please tell me then what chord will play if you play a two fingered chord C & Bb (to the left)  Will this choose fingered (partially inverted C7) or single fingered (Cm)?

Many thanks

Pete  :)

Offline maartenb

Re: Multi Fingered mode - help please
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »
I am not in the vincinity of a Genos, but I expect it will use Single Finger mode and give you a Cm.

Will try when I have the opportunity.

Maarten

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Will this choose fingered (partially inverted C7) or single fingered (Cm)?

It will play Cm.

If you are new to the Yamaha style engine, my advice is to learn and use "AI Fingered" as fingering type. It's defintely the most advanced and flexible choice, but easy to learn at the same time. Just my 2 cts.
Regards, Michael

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
Yes in Multi Fingered C/Bb will give you Cm chord. C/B will give you C7.

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:28:40 AM »
If you already play your own chords, don't go backwards and use Multifinger Mode. As Dromeus said, use AI Fingered Mode. Totally transparent to ordinary chords but when you need that descending bass line like the C B A G etc in 'Whiter Shade of Pale', or you need a G/B or an Eb/F, or maybe an exotic chord like a C9th with sharp 11th, then AI will deliver. OK, you need to learn how it delivers (and there are some tutorials around) but you can dip your toes in gradually and go deeper when you want to.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:44 AM »
Hi Pete,
It is easy to see the differences between the chord modes by choosing one type,
then go to main menu and play some chords or press some keys and watch to your screen what chords the keyboard gives you while doing that.

(I am also using the AI fingered mode,I need the C1+8 chord when I press just the note C)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
I use the multi-finger chord mode and it will recognize any chord configuration - single or multiple fingered as long as they are done properly. Somewhere on the forum there is a lesson on the single finger chord configurations. Just can't remember where it is right now.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

DonM

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
You must use Fingered mode if you want to do the keyboard tricks such as playing 3 adjacent notes to stop everything but the drums.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
Yep, Don is right about that part. However, the workaround for this when in the multi-finger mode is to just turn off the accompaniment button. You can then turn it back on, but it will not trigger any chords unless you select a chord with your left hand again. You can then play all the right hand voices you wish.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

mus07

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
You guys are awesome!! Thanks for your replies

So perhaps I should understand AI fingering???
Mostly, I can play a chord triad or more but there are times when I don't quite make it with fast chord changes....
What I really want is to be able to play a Cmaj with a single "C" and and Cm with "C and Eb" i.e. not always have to play the triad or more - will AI do that?

I come from Roland/Korg arranger background hence my questions about this....

Thanks again - so appreciate your responses....

Pete :)

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
To answer your last question directly. No. You must use Multifinger Mode for this.

Once you've got comfortable with all your chords - and do please work at it, or you'll be forever stuck with the 'two finger minors and 7ths' thing and you'll probably miss out on all the 'good' sounding chords like augmented, diminished, 7th flat 5ths etc (which have to be played as full chords) - then go AI.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

mus07

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 06:54:27 PM »
Thanks Andy - this has put me straight now
Appreciated

Pete :)

Offline voodoo

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »
I like AI fingered most. Because, it understands 3 fingers chord fingering, and I can use other bass notes using zwo fingers.

* c e is C major
* b g is G major with bass note B
* a c is A minor
* g c is C major with bass note G
* g b is G major

So most usual chord/bass combinations can be played with two fingers.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D