Author Topic: questions recording about PSR E363  (Read 5175 times)

skolkool

questions recording about PSR E363
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am planning to buy the Yamaha PSR E363. I want do some recording with my Windows 7 64 bit desktop PC and the 363. I could successfully record in my PC with Audacity and a friend's PSR E453 using normal audio recording with help of "Headphones/Output" socket. I did not try the USB midi recording in 453.

All these things are very new to me. I have some questions.

1) In 363, is the process same for normal audio recording?
2) Let's suppose I want to use a new voice like Soprano Sax(for example) that is not present in the 363. I play the 363 to record in my PC but the recorded voice will be that new voice. Can I achieve this by using FL Studio 12 or Garageband?

3) For achieving this what steps should I perform regarding installing drivers, FL studio softwares, new voice plugins?
4) There is an USB midi connectivity in 363, should I use scanner,printer USB cable for this?

Thanks
S.B.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:04:04 PM by skolkool »

SeaGtGruff

Re: questions recording about PSR E363
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:47 AM »
1. Yes, you can record the audio output by using the headphones jack, or you can use the USB audio if it works for you-- some people have had trouble with the driver.

2/3/4. You can use the PSR-E363 as a MIDI keyboard controller by connecting it to your computer by a standard USB 2.0 cable, often called a "printer cable." The PSR-E363 is class compliant, so you may be able to use its USB MIDI connection without installing a driver, but if you do need to install a driver it should be the Steinberg USB driver that's on Yamaha's web site. You'll need a VI (virtual instrument) or soft synth (software synthesizer) that has the sound you want to record. Some VIs and soft synths are standalone programs that include their own "host" program, while others are designed to be used as "plug-ins" inside of a DAW (digital audio workstation software) or other VI host program. If you're going to be recording the VI then you'll probably be using a DAW. The standard procedure is to add a new MIDI track in the DAW, then assign the PSR-E363 or other controller as the MIDI Input device, and assign the VI you want to use as the MIDI Output device. Some DAWs call this an "instrument track" rather than a MIDI track.

skolkool

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Thank you Sir for your support. I will do the needful after I purchase it.

skolkool

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
Can you please tell me some names and download links for some standalone VIs and soft synths for
 sax sounds if possible? Thanks

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:54:05 AM »
I haven't compiled any lists of specific types of virtual instruments, but there are usually saxophone sounds in virtual instrument collections for orchestral or symphonic instruments. Many of these collections are standalone as far as having their own programs for selecting and playing the different instruments, but may also have plug-in versions so they can be used in DAW software.

If you search the internet for phrases such as "orchestral virtual instruments" or "virtual orchestra software" you should come up with several results:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=orchestral+virtual+instruments

https://www.google.com/search?q=orchestral+virtual+instruments

Be warned that such programs usually aren't free and can be expensive, especially the best ones. Sometimes a company might offer a free "lite" version as a way of giving you a taste and enticing you to buy the full product, so if you see a program at an online music store then you might want to visit the company's web site to see what else they have.