Author Topic: Editing Piano Voices  (Read 6691 times)

tramano

Editing Piano Voices
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »
Hello Everybody
I really like my Genos and am now approaching a state where I think I have a good idea about the immense scope of its functionality.
One thing I would like to start is editing piano voices, there is no doubt, it can be done.
But without any experience in voice editing I would like to ask: How do you approach this editing? I mean - what is the first parameter you change? There a tons of it: Filters, EQ, Effects,... each having a relationship to others. Are there any recommendations how to step forward, without ending up in a mess?

Best Regards,
tramano

Offline DerekA

Re: Editing Piano Voices
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »
To make noticeable changes to the sound, I would suggest starting with :

+ Reverb depth
+ Brightness (aka filter cutoff)
+ Harmonics (aka filter resonance)
+ EQ hi/lo
Genos

Offline terryB

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
Hi Tramano, this is covered in a recent video put out by Soundpacks. See the post in Genos general posts called 'Live tutorial Genos'
Cheers
Terry

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »
Don't forget to go into voice set which is great for tweaking voices. You can compare the original voice to the one you are creating and listen to the difference straight away. You will be surprised what you can do.

Offline jwyvern

Re: Editing Piano Voices, o
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
Quoting tramano,

"I mean - what is the first parameter you change? There a tons of it: Filters, EQ, Effects,... each having a relationship to others. Are there any recommendations how to step forward, without ending up in a mess?'

First try to be clear in your own mind what you are trying to achieve before using a blanket approach. What do you find lacking in the existing piano that makes you want to make changes?

Want a fuller sound? Try raising reverb and the low EQ first using Voice Editor and see how that sounds.
Also try putting the Touch Offset up (in the Editor)

Too bright? Putting low EQ up and Touch Offset down might help but try backing off on the filter cut off first.

Want it brighter? Try turning up the high EQ gain and touch offset. A combination of higher cutoff and resonance may also help if more ringing tones are desired.

Not enough string resonance? Go to the Effect tab and explore how changing the Pedal setting and the effect Send in the preset DSP Detail alters the character of the sound especially when the sustain pedal is used.

Want to change the character more? Try layering the CFX piano in R1 with the legacy Grand Piano in R2.
For more far out effects explore layering the CFX with some of the Epianos.

As you get used to and understand the above, mostly simple changes, you should become more knowledgeable in making on your own edits.

John

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:55:28 AM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

tramano

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
Thank you ver much for your help, especially John/jwyvern  :)  :) and DerekA  :)
I will definitely give it a try tonight.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:09:30 AM »
To experiment with most of the parameters mentioned especially where they work in combination you may find you get quicker feedback using the Live control knobs while playing. (See how the defaults are already set to alter these parameters). Once you have settings you want to save you have a choice of saving directly to a registration or going to the Voice editor and saving as a user voice or, where needed, further edits.
John
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:15:31 AM by jwyvern »