Author Topic: Yamaha styles  (Read 8192 times)

rover60

Yamaha styles
« on: April 03, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
Hi
New to the forum And to the Genos. I downloaded a style yesterday from the Yamaha site and saved the file onto a USB stick,when I insert the USB stick into the Genos I can't see the file.I loaded it to the USB I have in the compartment underneath,but I cannot see it listed under the USB 1 or 2 what am I doing wrong should I be loading it before I can see it?

Re: Yamaha styles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
First, I would suggest you just use the USB slot on the top right, for a lot or reasons. When you select Styles touch the User button and then USB1. Navigate to the folder where you have the style and you should see it no problem.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline Stijn

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »
The operating system on Genos (or Tyros) is different from the OS on a PC. Opening the file manager (explorer) on a PC will show every file type that is stored on the drives (if not hidden...)
Using the explorer on Genos will not show all the files on a USB or folder. It will only show the file type of the active mode; Song, Voice, Style... In fact, it will hide all the other types at that moment.

It works by type, meaning; if you want to view Style files, you first need to be in Style mode = activate the mode by pressing the picture Style on the Home display.
Now your system is in Style mode. The only files you can see now on a USB or on the User are Style files, you won't see Songs, Voices, Multi Pads etc, even if they are present in the folders.

If you want to work with Songs, first activate the Song mode by pressing the Song on the Home display (or anything else that activates that mode), otherwise you will never find the files on your USB.
Warning: in song mode you additionally need to select the correct file type: Midi or Audio !!!

Don't think PC, think Genos  ;-)
Stijn
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:50:28 PM by Stijn »
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Pino

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »
I haven’t a Genos screen  but you will get what I mean. :)

Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]

rover60

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »
Thank you for your help Stijn I will try that when I get back
Thank you all for your replies
Sean

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »
Make sure your styles are not zipped or they will not show up anyway.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:05 AM »
Sean,

What Stijn described is called "Masking".  This is a positive thing because when you search for styles, only style files will be displayed.  When you search for Multi Pads, only Multi Pads will be displayed, etc.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

rover60

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:46:34 AM »
I have tried looking for the style file it is a midi style file downloaded from the Yamaha music soft site onto my MacBook it shows as a music file and not zipped I just can’t see it thinking I had done something wrong I also loaded onto my other stick that resides in the flap underneath and does not show on there either

Offline Stijn

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:11:11 AM »
Hi Sean,

If I understand correctly you have downloaded a Song, not a Style.
Is the file file extension  .STY or .MID ?  If you MacBook marks it as a music file, then it must be a Midi. I don't think it recognizes STY-files.

If it's a Song, thus a Midi file  (xxx.mid) then you must activate the Song mode on your Genos by touching the Song part in the Main display (Song A or Song B).
In the next window make sure to move the switch to MIDI (top left hand corner). Then go to USB1 to look for the song.

You can also use the white button SONG, then select the Midi part of the window ... and so on.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

rover60

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 05:02:53 AM »
I am a bit confused as is says it’s a style file the number of the item is 138894 in the Yamaha MusicSoft site it says it’s a sty.midi

Offline panos

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 05:25:37 AM »
This is a style
https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/style-files/perfect-6-8-6

This is a midi
https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/midi/perfect-79

In the picture it shows if it is a midi or a style.

rover60

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:32:55 AM »
Hi Panos
It’s the style file in the first link

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 05:37:09 AM »
It is a style file then.You can tell the difference because there is no main melody line.
So it is a .sty format if you can check on your pc

Offline panos

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 05:39:47 AM »
I don't know if this helps.
https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=uRoc9CNGeqU

I guess your Genos is undendifying your usb stick.Right?
Attached is the Compatible USB Device List for Genos
and a style.
Download the style and put it on the same place where you put your other style to see  if Genos can recognize this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:55:30 AM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

rover60

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 06:01:59 AM »
I think there must be something wrong with my usbs I have one in the flap underneath that shows as usb 1 and when I insert another in the front one it comes up with usb1 usb2 and usb3 where as on that video it only comes up with 1 and 2

Offline panos

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 06:12:03 AM »
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1309559/Yamaha-Genos.html?page=111

Ok Sean,you may have to format your usb to the keyboard then.
Make sure you take back up of your usb files on your Mac book first and then format it on Genos.
It will erase everything in the usb after the format.
Then test it again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:13:27 AM by panos »

rover60

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 06:17:16 AM »
Okay thank you panos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 06:19:08 AM »
I think there must be something wrong with my usbs I have one in the flap underneath that shows as usb 1 and when I insert another in the front one it comes up with usb1 usb2 and usb3 where as on that video it only comes up with 1 and 2

When have a 'permanent' USB stick into the port at bottom, that one will always be named USB1 as long as you don't have any other plugged when power on Genos.
If put in a stick at top, then it will be USB2.
If there is a stick in top USB port at startup, then bottom will show USB2 and top USB1.
This is good, because if you have a updatefile in USB at top at startup, that one will be USB1 and run the update even if the bottom port is used.

To keep the bottom as USB1, simply dont plug any other USB sticks in the other two ports at startup, plug it in after powered on. :)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

rover60

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 02:31:06 AM »
thank you all for your replies
i had this email from yamaha today which explains my dilemma Hi Sean,

Thanks for contacting Yamaha MusicSoft.  We verified your purchase and it is a Style file.  We have discovered an issue where some browsers were placing the .mid extension onto style files. You should be able to simply remove the .mid extension from the file and it will work properly.

For future downloads we recommend using an updated version of Google Chrome or Firefox to avoid this issue with your downloads.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Kind Regards,

Isabelle
 hope this might be some help for future downloads
thank you
sean