Author Topic: PSR E453 USB connection not recognized by PC  (Read 10097 times)

AnupamEnosh

PSR E453 USB connection not recognized by PC
« on: April 02, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
Sir Michael (SeaGtGruff),
Let me know where I am doing it wrong. I am having the USB type A to B cable 2.0 plugged in 2.0 port only. I did not want to divert the topic in that thread, so started a new one. My PC on Win 10 fulfills all the requirements as mentioned on Yamaha's website. But Keyboard is not detected on the PC.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AnupamEnosh

Re: PSR E453 USB connection not recognized by PC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »
Here lies the issue, I find no devices connected to PC, but whenever I disconnect the USB cable from keyboard end, it gives this error, and this specific driver is displayed with a fail sign. But I tried everything to update the driver software, still it did not happen.

This has happened to me in most of the cases, where I could not make a workaround with any laptop. What else could be wrong, the drivers or the procedure ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:39 AM »
I had a similar experience-- unknown USB device and the device descriptor request failed-- when I bought a YPT-400 and tried to use it with Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver. The driver worked perfectly with my PSR-E433 and PSR-E443, so I mistakenly assumed that the newer versions of the driver must be incompatible with the YPT-400 (which had shipped with an older driver that was designed for earlier versions of Windows). It took nearly a year for me to accidentally discover that the problem was caused by the way I'd installed the driver.

In particular, I discovered that if the keyboard had not been connected to the computer and turned on before trying to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, the computer wouldn't be able to recognize the keyboard. However, this recognition isn't based on the actual model ID (PSR-E463, PSR-E453, etc.), but rather on the descriptor that's usually shown in square brackets above the MIDI Implementation Chart-- or if not there then on the cover of the Owner's Manual. So the driver that I'd installed with my PSR-E433 connected was able to recognize the PSR-E443 that I bought later, since the PSR-E433 and PSR-E443 both use the same descriptor; but it wasn't able to recognize the YPT-400 because it uses a different descriptor. I had to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it with both the PSR-E443 (or PSR-E433) and the YPT-400 connected in order for it to recognize both descriptors.

However, that's with regard to installing the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. The procedure is backwards for installing the Steinberg USB driver-- according to the installation instructions, you must install the driver without having the keyboard or other USB devices being connected (aside from your mouse and computer keyboard), and connect the keyboard or other USB audio device only after the Steinberg USB driver has been installed!

If uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it using the procedure given in the installation instructions does not work, then the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps it has something to do with the laptop. I haven't installed the Steinberg USB driver on my laptop yet, so I'll try installling it wrong (with the keyboard already connected) to see if I get this issue-- and if I do, I'll uninstall the driver and try again without the keyboard connected to see if the issue still occurs.

The following users thanked this post: Jay B.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
Thanks for explaining, now I got to know that I was misinformed through the videos of I425/455 or some older models, where I was told to keep my instrument connected to PC while installing driver software. Let me try that once again, if it works for me, though I am still sceptic of that. :(

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »
Thanks for explaining, now I got to know that I was misinformed through the videos of I425/455 or some older models, where I was told to keep my instrument connected to PC while installing driver software.

Well, you DO want to keep the keyboard connected and turned on if it's a PSR-E443 or earlier model that uses the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver-- and this includes the PSR-I425 and PSR-I455-- because the installation instructions for that driver say to do it that way, and I know from personal experience that failing to do it that way will prevent the driver from being able to recognize the keyboard.

But the installation instructions for the Steinberg USB driver say to disconnect the keyboard and all other USB devices before installing the driver-- except you can't disconnect the mouse, since you need to use it to do the installation, and I also left the computer keyboard connected.

So the important thing is to follow the installation instructions that go with the particular driver you're trying to install.

Let me try that once again, if it works for me, though I am still sceptic of that. :(

I haven't tried installing it the "wrong" way on my laptop yet to see if it results in the issue you're having, but I do know that when I installed the driver on my desktop computer by following the installation instructions, my PSR-EW400 is recognized by the driver and the USB audio works great.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:20:20 PM by SeaGtGruff »

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
UPDATE : I tried the backward procedure explained by you, still it did not work for me. I have no idea why so. Now I feel it is much better & hassle-free to switch again to the direct audio connection to PC.

AnupamEnosh

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
Reviving this old topic :
After almost more than six months, today I found that probably the USB cables I used to connect my keyboard to PC were all broken or damaged, or incompatible. Yesterday I was practising for a program, where we had a M-AUDIO 49 controller, I asked my friend to try connecting my keyboard to Macbook through his USB cable (A-B) to check if the USB port actually does work. It worked in a go, and using Mainstage and Garageband both, I played all that time. Now, the real deal, I plugged in my USB cable to check, it stopped working. I immediately plugged in all the cables I used in the past, none of them worked. Seems like I need to figure out the compatibility of all printer cables with Yamaha devices...  :(

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Do you know if they're USB 2 or USB 3 cables? I think the PSR-E453 requires USB 2 cables-- at least it requires that you connect to a USB 2 port on the computer, and I think it would be best to use a USB 2 cable as well.

How do you store your cables? I used to coil my cables even though I'd read many times that doing so can damage them, but after I destroyed a power charger cable for my phone that way I decided to stop coiling my cables. Now I just sort of roll them into a large, loose loop so there's less chance that any of their internal wires will get repeatedly bent and eventually break.