Author Topic: USB question  (Read 4504 times)

USB question
« on: April 01, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
Hi team,

I looked for a list of compatible USB 3.0 drives that work with my Genos and found it. Yamaha only shows USB capacities in the range of 8 GB to 32 GB. I want to buy at least a 128 GB so I can use it for other things. At this time I see no need to permanently store a USB drive under my Genos. At the top of the list they say,

"Yamaha have tested the devices listed below and believe them to work correctly with this instrument. Please note that these devices might be updated and new versions released which may stop them from working correctly with this product. For more information on these devices including availability, please consult the device manufacturer."

To me the list is essentially useless because Yamaha "thinks" these will work. Instead, am I safe in picking one of the more common manufacturers, like ScanDisk or something similar? For example, I have a PNY, 64 GB, USB 2.0 drive that works fine. I'm not even sure the PNY website would tell me that their drives work with the Genos.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:07:58 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

Re: USB question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »
I am using ScanDisk 64 Gb and works fine. For me this is plenty big enough for all my stuff including WAV files.

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Is that a USB 3.0, Eileen? I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here :). (Figure of speech only - I love birdies!) Thanks...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Tankdave

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
I have a 256GB Corsair Slider X1, i believe it is USB3.  It is rather physically small, so despite the storage capacity it fits in the lower compartment easily.

Went for a big one because i have put a load of MP3 music on it too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:49:25 PM by Tankdave »

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
Thanks, Tank! I suspect almost any USB will work. There's no way a company the size of Yamaha is going to have a very narrow scope of usable USB devices.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:55:37 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »
Hi Lee,

I have been using a $57.99 PNY Turbo 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (230 GB after formatting) on my Genos since late October 2017:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JN1TOHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I initially had two of these USB 3.0 flash drives, one connected to the locked USB port of Genos, the other one connected to the top USB port of Genos.  Later on, I found that Genos screen captures always went to USB1 (the locked USB port in my case).  It was very inconvenient to unlock the USB port to take out the USB drive to transfer the captured images to the computer.  Also, Yamaha released free "Bonus" and "Discover Genos" playlists which reference USB1 (I: drive).  All these forced me to decide to not use the locked USB port, but to use the top USB port of Genos only, for the sake of convenience and drive letter consistency.  I now use the second USB drive as a backup, vArranger and StyleWork YA on a 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop.

I already put about 115GB of data on the drive - 90GB of CDG/MP3 from RichardL.

Although the USB ports of Genos are USB 2.0 only, the above USB 3.0 flash drive works perfectly fine with Genos, with the advantage of USB 3.0 transfer speed on PC / Mac.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:11:55 AM »
Great info, Paul. Thanks!!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:52:00 AM »
I have SanDisk and Kingston USB sticks of various sizes. 2.0 and 3.0  They all work fine on my S970.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page