Author Topic: Sooner than later - Genos 61-  (Read 48500 times)

Offline sunny

Re: Sooner than later - Genos 61-
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »
Hi Pino,
       The Musikmesse 2018 show is only 4 days ahead(11-14th April).

Sunny.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:41:19 PM by sunny »

ash1

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
https://www.allegromusic.co.uk/yamaha-genos-61-note-version/

And here is whats written at the page:
"Take a look at our dimensions comparison chart and you will be pleasantly surprised to see that whilst there isn't a 61 note version of Genos, the 76 note is almost the same dimensions a Tyros 5 61, in old money just over 3 inches longer!"

Model   Width   Height   Depth
Genos   1234mm   138mm   456mm
Tyros 5 61   1140mm   142mm   450mm
Tyros 5 76   1347mm   142mm   450mm

Does this text say there is any 61 key on the way?
Nope, don't think so, it only say the 76 keys measurements is not much more than a 61.
I'm pretty sure there would be some leaks by now if a 61 keys G was on the way.........   8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
Hi All,
     Let us not hijack this thread. "Come soon Genos 61 "I'm anxiously waiting to buy Genos 61 keyboard, as i never played any Tyros keyboard more than 61 note on the stage. The 61 note keyboard is convenient for me. If you have any news about upcoming Genos 61 keyboard.Please share.

There won’t ever be a 61-key a Genos, but there will be new keyboards is the PSR line with Genos features. You’ll just have to decide which is more important to you.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »
I am with Fred,
  I had never played a 76 note keyboard before Genos. Despite the extra keys it is not as large as you may think and it is lighter than Tyros.

Offline mikf

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 11:35:01 PM »
It’s obvious that Yamaha have decided that the vast majority of buyers willing to shell out for their most expensive arranger prefer at least 76 keys as long as weight and size don’t get too bad. There may be some who prefer 61 keys, but insufficient to make it economic to offer a 61 key Genos. So the answer to this thread is - if 61 keys is your most important decision driver, your choice is not going to be the Genos.
Yamaha’s price driven arrangers will probably always offer the smaller keyboard, although with the success of 76 key arrangers my gues is they might be much more likely to offer a 76 key mid range arranger at some point than a 61 key TOTL arranger.
Mike

Offline mrdave

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »
I always prefered 76 key keyboards, since my Roland G-800.... never bought Tyros models because they were only 61 key, when T5-76 arrived I was tempted to get it, but I had already changed my old Korg Pa2x for the Pa3x some months before... but when Pa4x came out, I prefered to wait for next Yamaha and got the Genos, which I like a lot.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »
This topic of 61 vs. 76 keys has been hash over to death.  Isn't it just a matter of personal preference?  Can't we just let the issue rest? This forum is supposed to be about helping each other learn how to get the most out of our arrangers and not debating personal likes and dislikes or trying to convince others to accept our own personal preferences about what is useful and what is not so useful.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline sunny

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 02:54:27 AM »
   why shouldn’t there be a Genos 61 version ?

Sunny

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:52 AM »
I believe I can sum up all the theories:

The Genos will remain as a single issue at 76 keys. If a smaller version is produced (and it is likely), it will be 61 keys, have the same sound engine, less features (just like a full Tyros vs. its PSR equivalent), and be call the PSR...

Case closed? I agree with Joe. Let's move on to the stuff we can't figure out :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2018, 06:25:21 AM »
This topic of 61 vs. 76 keys has been hash over to death.  Isn't it just a matter of personal preference?  Can't we just let the issue rest? This forum is supposed to be about helping each other learn how to get the most out of our arrangers and not debating personal likes and dislikes or trying to convince others to accept our own personal preferences about what is useful and what is not so useful.

Joe H

I think a quote from yourself in a post earlier in this very thread should be a good reply to this:

...... We are just discussing ideas here.  We all have a right to our opinions.

:o
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:34:31 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2018, 06:50:47 AM »
I don't have a crystal ball so I won't predict 61 keys or not, but I've heard from a reliable source that he has sold more Genos than any other arranger keyboard that was marketed by any company.  I also understand a close 2nd could be the s970 but that's at a third of the price that would make sense.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
Sure there will be a Genos Baby Brother out in around eighteen months time. Possibly PSR1000

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
Sure there will be a Genos Baby Brother out in around eighteen months time. Possibly PSR1000

They already have a PSR-1000, but not a PSR-S-1000, which would be the next logical step. ;)

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 09:28:08 AM »
In order to have a 61 keys arranger with those 9 sliders and 6 knobs Yamaha would have to do away with the on-board speakers.  So it wouldn't be called a PSR but rather some new model.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Pino

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »
I’m sure some of Yamaha’s sales is due to the excellent after sales support from PSR Tutorials,

Maybe they should support us more directly here or pay some of the bills,

Pino
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:38:30 PM by Pino »

Offline MarcusAhlback

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
Hi all,
Maybe we sould settle for that the next Genos will have (61+76)/2=68.5 keys?  8)
Kind regards Marcus
Yamaha PSR-S770
Casio PX5-s

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 08:04:08 PM »
Well said Murray,
  I agree with every word. Personally I prefer to explore the keyboard and see what all the functions do rather than read manuals. I find that I remember things better this way. Genos is a fine keyboard and if I am still around will defiantly  :)have Genos 2
[/color]

Eileen,  I love reading your posts, they are just such nice reading. Maybe  being the same age has something to do with it.

By the way, did you get the registrations from me that you and Fred  requested me to send in order to be able to look into my reg memory problems ?

Enslosed in WAW part of what I always begin my gigs with.

Cheers

Kaarlo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EileenL

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
The sales of Genos have been so good because the product is so good and the after sales are always excellent
  Nothing at all to do with forums. If they had looked in on some of the threads on here they would not have taken kindly to all the Genos bashing that went on earlier. Yamaha will always respond to direct contact but not on forums. This is how it has always been.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
Yes Kaarlo, I did try your registration banks and reply on that thread. Without knowing exactly what you wanted set into each button I could not set anything up for you.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
I’m sure some of Yamaha’s sales is due to the excellent after sales support from PSR Tutorials,

Maybe they should support us more directly here or pay some of the bills,

Pino

That's not going to happen.  While Yamaha has a synth forum, I doubt that they will ever have something similar for arrangers.  They read this forum and get ideas (for free) on what features to include in the next arranger model.

Joe H

Offline Toril S

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
A 61 note Genos will be almost as light as the PSRs. Fantastic.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Pino

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2018, 12:43:52 AM »
Eileen, if you tell me that I do not need to use StyleMagic to edit the styles on Genos and I can have easy access to (Yamaha) Cubase then I will go out and buy a Genos tomorrow,
please confirm,
thanks.  :)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:02 AM »
A 61 note Genos will be almost as light as the PSRs. Fantastic.

It will be as light as a PSR because it will be a PSR.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Pino

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2018, 01:33:43 AM »
StyleMagic is an excellent style editor that offers support for Genos. We don't need ANY software to edit any arranger files.

Joe H

Joe, why would you be thinking that then?
We have to buy additional software to edit styles after paying $6000
If I want to change the volume 90 on the bass on VarA to 95 on VarB
Do I need to upload the style to an external app?
I thought this was an arranger keyboard?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39:56 AM »

You can do that on the keyboard itself. Just use Style Creator.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Pino

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 03:08:22 AM »
You can do that on the keyboard itself. Just use Style Creator.

Fred

Fred, I am an OTS User, my registrations hold 8 different songs
Press a Registrations and that gives me a new style and 4 OTS to my style
Saving style edits to Registrations is easier but I edit styles.

I normally use StyleMagic for all my style editing, it’s easier.
But on that occasion where I just need to tweak the volume of a track slightly
Then style creator would be easier, You can change a lot in style Creator
But where to change the volume of bass VarA 80 to Bass VarB to 90
I’m looking in the edit window and using the filter and I can only see
011 expression, where is the volume?

Can you run through it on your Genos.?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »

I wouldn't have a clue as to where to start to look, Pino. All I know is you can use Style Creator on the keyboard, which is what you asked about.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58:53 AM »
Joe, why would you be thinking that then?
We have to buy additional software to edit styles after paying $6000
Do I need to upload the style to an external app?
I thought this was an arranger keyboard?

It's not fare to edit the quote of someone to make an unreasonable argument.  You left out the "but" part in which I stated that you can do so much more with software on the computer.  You CAN edit any file on the keyboard (the simple stuff as you mention)... BUT we can do much more with PC-based software.

Do you understand?

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:01:43 AM by Joe H »

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 05:03:29 AM »
Fred, I am an OTS User, my registrations hold 8 different songs
Press a Registrations and that gives me a new style and 4 OTS to my style
Saving style edits to Registrations is easier but I edit styles.

I normally use StyleMagic for all my style editing, it’s easier.
But on that occasion where I just need to tweak the volume of a track slightly
Then style creator would be easier, You can change a lot in style Creator
But where to change the volume of bass VarA 80 to Bass VarB to 90
011 expression, where is the volume?

If I understand your question right what you want to do is  edit styles like for instance make some instrument louder in variatio B compared to variation A.  I am doing that all the time in the style creator on my Genos. (I change volume and instruments in most every intro)  So  if I understood your problem correctly  (I am not sure I did) please just send me an e-mail to  v.freymann@welho.com saying yes and I will explain how to do it, or even better send your telephone number and I will lead you  step by step sitting at the Genos with you on the phone. It seems I have difficulty navigating on this huge site with so many threads. If you want me to do the explanation on this site, please mail me where I should go.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 05:27:40 AM »
Quoting Pino,
"But where to change the volume of bass VarA 80 to Bass VarB to 90
011 expression, where is the volume?"
Filter? You seem to be looking in the wrong place. With  style creator loaded (from main menu) choose the Variation required then go to Mixer (direct access followed by Ending 1 or 2 button) and tap the Style1 page. Then if necessary at left choose Pan/volume. Change the volumes of chosen instruments then exit back to Style Creator, repeat for other Variations then touch Save.

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:29:44 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 06:21:09 AM »
Pino,

With StyleMagic I edit the Note Velocities to change the volumes on style Parts or whole Sections.  It can be done with Expression too, but if you want to increase the Volume and CC11 is at a value of 127, then the only way to get the part louder is to increase the Note Velocity of all notes.  Editing Note Velocity in StyleMagic is very easy to do.

Joe H

Offline panos

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »
Is n't this work like the other keyboards? First press play to hear the style in style creator and then go to mixer to change whatever you want to the specific variation you have choose. if you don't press the play button the changes will apply to all mains/fills/intros/endings.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:39:56 AM by panos »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »
Is n't this work like the other keyboards? First press play to hear the style in style creator and then go to mixer to change whatever you want to the specific variation you have choose. if you don't press the play button the changes will apply to all mains/fills/intros/endings.

Yes that is correct.  If you want to edit a particular Section, you must select that Section using the Style Controls then edit the Section and SAVE.  The result will be that you changed the Volume on the specific Section ONLY.

Joe H

Pino

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
My preferred way to edit styles has been on StyleMagic,
Easy for swapping style parts around, deleting and editing instrument, vols, etc
The UI is nice to work with.

But there are occasions that I haven’t got my laptop with me
Then I’m back to Style Creator for a few tweaks here and there.

The question.
Why do we need to go back to the Mixer when we have a very easy edit window in Style Creator?

Pino

Offline Joe H

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
I don't have a Genos so I can't address your question directly.  I don't see a CC07 but looks like you can Insert one if you wanted to.  The way to do that is select CC11 and then INSERT... then change the CC to 07.   I don't see any Note Data in the screen shot.

It's possible that you don't have to select the Section you wish to edit and then go to the Mixing Console to do the editing. That screen looks different than the PSRs and maybe the Tyros as well.

What have you tried to do so far?

Joe H
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:42:01 PM by Joe H »

Pino

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
I’ve done the ‘insert’ bit
You cannot enter CC7 for some reason
It jumps from 1 to 10
That’s ok, it’s an easy window if it would work,

I haven’t a Genos either, yet
It would be interesting to know if Yamaha has introduces a new style editing app for Genos
Or is it the same old 20 year old app with new colours?
Maybe a Genos owner can fill us in  :)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2018, 01:46:38 AM »
I’ve done the ‘insert’ bit
You cannot enter CC7 for some reason
It jumps from 1 to 10
That’s ok, it’s an easy window if it would work

Even the channels on existing styles I've looked at do not show controllers between 1 and 10 in the step record screens.
11 shows but on the ones I have seen it is at maximum, 127.  7 does not appear to be used (within those screens,  maybe it is a separate controller for each channel but set somewhere else?)
John

Offline mikf

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:10 AM »
I need to look, but I would expect Genos to work similar to the recent Clavinova models.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 04:40:56 AM »
The question.
Why do we need to go back to the Mixer when we have a very easy edit window in Style Creator?

Pino
Pino,I use this method for some reasons.
a) Many times the parts of a style are locked so if you go to edit menu you can edit just rhythm1 & rhythm2 parts and not other parts.
(stylemagic can unlock all parts likely on a computer)
b) Too many code numbers on Edit menu that you have to know what all those codes mean before you edit the right one.
c) If there is a volume/equalization/effect thing to edit,I prefer to listen to the part of the style while I apply the changes to it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:42:00 AM by panos »

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2018, 07:35:37 AM »
As many of us suspected, there is no Genos 61 in sight so far ......

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/contents/musikmesse/products.html#ArrangerWorkstation
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
As many of us suspected, there is no Genos 61 in sight so far ......

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_events/contents/musikmesse/products.html#ArrangerWorkstation

It's way too early.  Yamaha just released the PSR S975.

Joe H

Offline DerekA

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
It's way too early.  Yamaha just released the PSR S975.

Very true - but the OP said a he'd heard it would be unveiled at this weeks Musikmesse.

It wasn't.
Genos

Pino

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »
Quote from Synthzone
In a few weeks at musikmesse we will see a 61 version of the Genos..
Thats a rumour coming from Germany..

The Op said,   :)

Pino

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
No problem to wait, meanwhile, we have other great keyboards,

The Genos can be a killer keyboard in the right hands
But so is the S970.

I have been a Yamaha player since Technics stopped
Recently I have been using my other system on occasions.
I bought it to beef up the voices on the S970
It’s weighs 3 kilos and costs 30% less than a S975
It works great as an arranger and sounds really good.

Take a listen

https://app.box.com/s/npuempch5y14ineqz5ijdv7ytrpn4say

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:01:01 PM by Pino »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline EileenL

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
Yes the 970 is a very good keyboard but the keybed is not good and can be noisy if playing quietly. 

Pino

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:46 AM »
But The buttons are very quiet on PSR
If I have an open microphone with Tyros then I have problems
Very noisy clicks, PSR so much better.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »
Genos touch screen ever quieter.

Pino

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2018, 12:39:21 AM »
What other keyboard has hard noisy buttons
Korg - Ketron - Roland?
If I rehearsing late at night wakes my children up.

Yes, the touch screen is better
But I have touch screens for many years.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2018, 03:03:12 AM »
No problem to wait, meanwhile, we have other great keyboards,

The Genos can be a killer keyboard in the right hands
But so is the S970.

I have been a Yamaha player since Technics stopped
Recently I have been using my other system on occasions.
I bought it to beef up the voices on the S970
It’s weighs 3 kilos and costs 30% less than a S975
It works great as an arranger and sounds really good.

Take a listen

https://app.box.com/s/npuempch5y14ineqz5ijdv7ytrpn4say

Hello Pino, congratulations excellent audio. Now my question is: how do you work together with your S970 with the Ketron Module ?. and I would also like to know how much this module costs. greetings Hans

"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"