Author Topic: How do I get a finished style song into my DAW?  (Read 8423 times)

nollmusic

How do I get a finished style song into my DAW?
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:05:05 AM »
I want to basically have all the midi channels of each sequenced  style part on separate midi tracks in my DAW. Then I can add vocal tracks, guitar tracks, etc in my DAW. Is it possible?

Offline Joe H

Re: How do I get a finished style song into my DAW?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
Depending on the DAW or sequencer, what you want is called a MIDI Type 1 file.  There may be an option in your DAW to assign all the channels to separate tracks.  Different software has a uses a different name for this operation. You can also use MixMaster to load the MIDI and save as a Type 1 file.   Also the are free utilities out there that will convert MIDI file Type 0 (which is what Yamaha uses) to Type 1 and Type 1 to Type 0.

KBD-Infinity is just one program that has many utilities in a single program.   http://kbd-infinity.com/kbd-infinity-blog/midi-file-conversion-type0type1/

http://www.kbd-infinity.com/

Joe H
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:01:31 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »
Hi there,

I have been looking into that as well. I have come across a couple of free DAW software programs.

1. MixPad (NCH Software)
http://www.nch.com.au/mixpad/download-now.html?kw=mixpad&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYONoQo4utstsKwF-26qgVfk4h-OuZdxgsJnTBFoIH9SpdvnioBgrM4saAg-aEALw_wcB

2. MultiTrack Studio: (Bremmers Audio Design)
http://www.multitrackstudio.com/download.php

I don't know how good they are but they do support midi files.

Regards,
Richard

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Some other free DAWs include Anvil Studio (basic program only, add-on modules aren't free), Avid Pro Tools First (free lite version of Pro Tools), PreSonus Studio One Prime (free lite version of Studio One), Tracktion (earlier version is free), and Zynewave Podium Free.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:43 PM »
I am going to do some testing with MixPad and MultiTrack studio. I will post results when done.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »
FREE... outside of this forum, most of the time, free software means you get what you pay for.

I already mention MixMaster can do the job.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

topick

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
I tried almost all the mentioned free softwares. I even used paid S/Ws like FruityLoop and ProTools...

They all act funny in the beginning and require lots of parameters setting for midi before even getting started.
The last one that I tried (wish I would have picked it at first) was Sonar. I'm really pleased with it. The midi was ready to go from start. Most important, all the icons make sense and you don't need to guess. Unfortunately, the Sonar has been bought out by BandLab but I'm pretty sure it is still obtainable. You might even find it cheaper.

Don't even waste your time looking for free S/Ws. Lots of glitches and not user friendly (in my opinion). Besides, some of them are free to download but later you need to pay to upgrade because it won't do what you want it to do.

topick
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:45:44 AM by topick »

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
After testing I am finding I don't like any of those tools.

PSRUTI, Mixmaster, Producer and the keyboard itself are the best recording tools IMO. In another post I outlined my workflow method and I am refining that now. Here it is and I guess everyone is different so this might not work for you.

1. Find an existing midi file with lyrics for the song you want to do. You will most certainly find a midi or kar file to suit.
2. Don't worry if it sounds bad, you are not interested in the notes.
3. Use PSRUTI to compute the chords, and then quantize them. Play back the file to check that the chords and lyrics are there.
4. Use Mixmaster to delete all the channels, leaving only the chords and lyrics. You could probably use any sequencer to do this.
5. Use Producer to open the file and add in the style, fills, breaks and variations and tweak the lyrics and chords.
6. When you are happy with that, the fun begins. Take the file over to your kbd and expand it into a song.
7. Using the keyboard sequencer you can now record any extras you want into the midi file such as left and right hand parts, multi-pads etc.
8. When you have the midi file you are happy with, simply record it to an audio file with or without vocals and share it with us.

If you are like me, the process will take some time but that's part of the fun.
Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:23:09 PM by RichardL »

Pino

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Richard,
You are 100% correct in your findings
I would add StyleMagic to your list of Yamaha editors.

It’s just time consuming for not brilliant results.

Pino

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »
What works best for one person might not work best for another. To an extent this depends on what exactly you're trying to do, since different tools work best for different tasks. Find what works best for you, but keep in mind that a tool you didn't like for task A may end up being exactly what you need to accomplish task B. ;)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:23:57 AM »
The problem with most DAWs is that they may be great for audio clips but are often fall short on the MIDI side of things.  I still run Atari MIDI programs on a software emulator on my Win7 x64 machine.  Many of the old Atari MIDI programs are unique and offer capabilities not found in other software.

Joe H

Offline panos

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 04:51:43 AM »
Unfortunatelly for all programs you need to spend many or..... more than many  ;D hours to learn how they work.

I am using fl studio.
If I record a song on my psr or my dgx in the past, I take the midi file and  import it there.
When a midi file is imported, I have all channels assigned to a different track.
So each channel-organ (drums-bass-chords-pads-voices) has it's own pattern.
You can add new or delete patterns from there.

For example I took a midi file I found on the internet(it could also be  a midi file made by a  Yamaha keyboard, no difference at all),
I imported it to fl studio,I just kept the patterns that I wanted,deleted 99% of the bars and I revoice the organs,add effects etc.

The good thing about a midi file in compare to sound formats(eg .wav or .mp3 files) is that you have the sheet pattern note by note and you can do whatever you wish to it.
I have tried just to make a 30 seconds ringtone for my I phone.
(unbelieveble but it doesn't play a ringtone that is more than 30+ seconds!! so I had this restriction)

https://soundcloud.com/user-74537650/piano-concerto-3
(Don't mind about bad quality of the sound,the equalization was ment to be for phone's tiny speaker and not for a pc :P)

The original midi file I have used for is attached and also the few bars that I wanted.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 04:58:40 AM »
Hey Panos,

I love that!   8)    8)    8)

Nice job.

Joe H

The following users thanked this post: panos

Offline panos

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »
Thanks Joe,I have also uploaded there 3 covers made on my psr using the modified styles of the European dance pack,in case you missed them.
Thanks for your work, gives inspiration to me!  :)

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
As others have mentioned, once you become familiar with a particular software package, you can spend all your time making music rather than tinkering with the software.

The reason I have come to like the software I mentioned (PSRUTI, MixMaster, Producer) is that all work directly with Yamaha arrangers even up to  the Genos. The other thing is they are easier to learn than other software packages and we can talk directly to the developers of the software.

One more thing is that the keyboard itself has great software built right into it. The midi and audio recording capabilities are very good and I use that a lot.

As an example, attached are 3 midi files for my cover of the Bee Gees song "To Love Somebody":
-- The chord file - the result of using PSRUTI, MixMaster and Producer with an original .kar file
-- The expanded file - created by creating a song file from the chord file in the Genos
-- The final arrangement - also created in the Genos by playing right hand riffs and adding multi-pad vocal sounds.

I have used a Genos style called "Irish Pop Ballad". I think the Tyros and PSR's call it "GtrBallad"
The final midi file is a complete and original backing track including chords and lyrics. I could add the melody line for a complete song or use it to create an audio song file with vocals, which is what I do.

If I was using the Genos VH (which I am not), I could also trigger the VH on and off with Producer or the Genos.

Note: If you play the final midi file back, set the song channel volumes to your liking in the mixer

Regards,
Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:14:53 AM by RichardL »

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »
And here is the finished audio file, using the final midi file and recording directly into the Genos.

https://soundcloud.com/masteryoda123/to-love-somebody-updated-rlmusic-cover

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:31:53 AM by RichardL »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Thanks Joe,I have also uploaded there 3 covers made on my psr using the modified styles of the European dance pack,in case you missed them.
Thanks for your work, gives inspiration to me!  :)

I listened to all 20 of your tunes.  I especially like Chopin's Nocturn 20 (House), Abi Gezint (House), Just a Little Bit of Fantasy, and The Wall.

You play very well. I spend too much time working on custom styles, custom Multi Pads and Custom Voices and don't play enough.  But I only do original music... no covers.

:)

Joe H

The following users thanked this post: panos